l'Etape tour de France 2009 where ?

JB-RCTL
JB-RCTL Posts: 3
Hello, I'm French, in Limousin,
After Pau Hautacam in 2008, where for" l'étape du tour de France 2009" ?
I saw in Google your forum about l'étape du tour and i arrive on your site.
Now, during 4 days it's Tour du Limousin
http://www.tourdulimousin.com/
Bye
JB

Comments

• The route will be announced in October when the Tour route for 09 is announced. Probably in the Alps, though.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    But it always leaks out before...
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    Any leakage yet?
  • Rumour on the road forum is that Mont Ventoux will be the penultimate stage this year. I would just love it if this was up for the Etape!
    8)
  • Yep - that's it.
    Reports on French local radio in vaucluse say the Etape is Montelimar to Ventoux via Bedoin.
    Same as the penultimate stage of the 2009 tour.
    Possible date is only 2 days before the real race so 23rd July?!
    Will no doubt prove very popular for 2009 entries.
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    There were rumours last year about Ventoux over Col de la Madeleine. That could mean something like Paris Nice this year (except to the top of Ventoux)?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/ma ... risnice084
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    That graphic has the finish at 1411m I'm sure Ventoux is 1911m a mistake or did they not finish at the top ?
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    They didn.t go to the top - I think because Paris Nice is so early in the year.
  • happy to defer to those with insider ... but i doubt the etape will be two days before the Tour stage. Probs more like 9 days before. 2 days wouldn't optimise things for local hotels, restaurants and so on ... the etape is a bonanza for those guys and they don't want it conflicting with Tour business.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    20th is a Monday - would they do the Etape on a weekday?
    Aw, getting excited now. When is the route officially announced?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    The Etape has been held on a weekday before - the Alpe d'Huez stage in 2006 was definitely on a Monday.

The official route announcement is on the 22nd of October I think. They tend to announce the Etape route the same day.
  • How would that route rank in terms of difficulty compared to other years?
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    The stage as used in Paris-Nice 2008 looks a fair bit easier than the last few years.

PROFIL.gif
    Rich
  • "20th is a Monday - would they do the Etape on a weekday?"

The etape is normally on one of the rest days, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 were all on rest days, though I appreciate this years was not.

[/quote]
  • yes ... rest days make more sense so the pros are able to watch the etape.

2007 was on a monday.

I would still be very surprised if the etape was 2 days before the same Tour stage, but of course no doubt this thread will ultimately prove me wrong.
  • I suppose running the etape only 2 days before the Grand Boucle itself isn't such a stupid idea. Running the event earlier would result is twice the disruption, two separate sets of road closure, whereas with an etape a few days before the ASO/Police could close the roads on Wednesday night for three days, in effect only closing the roads once. It would certainly make it easier to get all the gubbins up to the top of Ventoux on the Friday night.
  • Chopster wrote:
    I suppose running the etape only 2 days before the Grand Boucle itself isn't such a stupid idea. Running the event earlier would result is twice the disruption, two separate sets of road closure, whereas with an etape a few days before the ASO/Police could close the roads on Wednesday night for three days, in effect only closing the roads once. It would certainly make it easier to get all the gubbins up to the top of Ventoux on the Friday night.

close the roads for three days? not sure the locals would view that as less disruption.

the point is more about maximising revenue for local businesses. Both the etape and the Tour are moneyspinners, and towns really want to cash-in on them.
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    It would be fantastic if it were just 2 days before the tour stage as it would be easy to stay to watch, unlike most years when it is normally the other side of the country!
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    yes ... rest days make more sense so the pros are able to watch the etape.

2007 was on a monday.

I would still be very surprised if the etape was 2 days before the same Tour stage, but of course no doubt this thread will ultimately prove me wrong.

2004 Limoges - St Flour was only 2 days before the pros and for my little group it was a great opportunity to see the big boys tackle what we had done as we toured our way back to Limoges.
    Regarding day of the week I think my first Etape in 2003 Pau - Bayonne was also on a weekday.
    Rest days are very popular and the 20th seems a good bet.
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    I hope it is later in the month that way I can do the Marmotte have a slight break then do the etape..
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    The 2006 etape was on a Monday and the Mavic support crew nipped over for the day due to it being a tour rest day.

Craig
  • Vous avez fait le Ventoux en 2009 ?
    et pour 2010 Pyrénées
    j'ai fait un blog,
    http://nature-et-sports-randos-puys-et-grands-monts-limousin.over-blog.com/
    bye bye JB