Kléber
Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited October 2008 in Pro race
Worth a read. Some choice quotes, "we mattered less than a dead horse":
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/se ... ns.cycling

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Oh I spotted that he's on the Jonathan Ross Radio show on Radio 2 this Saturday as well.
  • Strikes me as a very down to earth bloke
  • great interview, can't wait for the book.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Down to earth, more like has serious issues his reaction to winning the gold in athens seems pretty similar to Millars after getting banned for doping, weired.

As for not getting mentioned on BBC well lets face it he isn't even winning at the big events in cycling, and you can't say BBC totally ignored cycling because at one point LA was overseas personality of the year. If for once he did a decent ride on the road maybe he'd have a valid point.

Still sounds like his spat with Cav is not going to get resolved in a hurry.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've seen him talk about the Cav spat a few times now. Be helpful if he could at least drop him a text rather than just telling journos that he will.

FFS - its only 10p mate !
  • eh
    Well they are 2 head strong individuals neither of who will admit that their failure had anything to do with them, so can't see it being resolved in a hurry. Also Cav's TDF wins have clearly changed the balance of the relationship with Cav now possibly the bigger star, certainly outside GB at any rate.
    FFS - its only 10p mate !

Classic that wins my vote for best post written on here for a while :D
  • Michuel
    Michuel Posts: 269
    Most is old stuff that appeared just pre or post Olympics. I probably read it in Guardian at those times but it could have been the Evening Standard. Its not news just a re-run of old interviews, presumably Guardian and Wiggins marginally benefit from this.

I may seem heartless but a racing cyclist's only relevance to the world is by speaking through his legs. Wiggins has achieved a lot cycling but prefers to ignore this and endeavour to become a celeb. A celeb is partying....an athlete is training and winning.

Again Wiggins is a top Olympianand World Champion ...4 gold medals over 2 Olympics.

I remember 4 years ago his agent touted him as a future Tour de France winner.
  • Kléber
    You are right Michuel. Wiggins now has a book to promote, so he is repeating things for the sake of publicity.
  • Personally I have gone 'right off' Wiggins. When interviewed at the Tour of Britain explaining his performance said he'd 'never been out of the pub' since the olympics. True or not I thought the comment was pathetic, I think he's a bit of a plonker. I think he should keep his mouth shut and let his exquisite style on the bike do the talking.
  • he's a bit full of himself. not so sure why he didn't want to be a lead out man for cavendish at columbia, he was quality in the giro. surely better then being a domestique and getting in 1 break per year or whatever
  • Wiggins is great.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Here we go - a British cyclist has some success and out come the naysayers. Apparently he has to do his talking with his legs. You'd have thought two Olympic gold medals plus a World Championship in one season would speak volumes. :roll:
  • Kléber
    People are judging the man, not the rider. It doesn't matter if he's a fool, a saint or anything, he is a bike racer, try to stop the Heat! style judgments on him.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    andyp wrote:
    You'd have thought two Olympic gold medals plus a World Championship...........
    .......or three.......
    in one season would speak volumes. :roll:
    Crikey, I'm glad I'm not a world-class cyclist - people just start criticising you for not winning something else, for not being honest, for being too honest, for not settling your disagreements with friends.

Ruth
  • eh
    people just start criticising you for not winning something else, for not being honest, for being too honest, for not settling your disagreements with friends.

So just like any other job then :wink:

Pah cyclists were way ahead of Heat, think how many times you've heard on club runs or in changing rooms comments along the lines of "he's a bit skinny/tubby etc. this season" or "his/her performance wasn't up to their previous standards."