Very beginner question - Avalanche 1.0 quick release wheels

Chunkin
Chunkin Posts: 12
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
After a couple of weeks research I splashed out on my first bike for almost 25 years, a 2008 GT Avalanche 1.0 from Evans. Got it for £442 and also got 10% off the (extensive - blimey you need a lot of other stuff don't you?) accesories that go with it.

I don't have a bike carrier and living 25 rather hilly miles from the nearest Evans decided to put the bike in the car to bring it home rather than risking a heart attack riding it back on my first day!

The sales guy took the wheels off and it looked dead easy, but when I got back and came to put them on again noticed the stickers on the forks saying "Before attaching wheels read important info in the manual. Do not remove sticker, do not pass go, do not collect £200*".

Unfortunately, the manual I have doesn't even mention taking the wheels off. Not sure whether I should have anything apart from the very skinny multi language GT manual. I've had a real good look around on the various websites (here, Evans, GT, Shimano...) and can't find any manual or guidance..

The wheels seem to have gone on OK, but I am really wondering if there is something I should be checking, or if there are any tricks or tips on how to do it. Not too sure I want to do anything strenuous if I'm not sure that the wheels are on properly.

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer. I have tried to search on these forums, but not knowing exactly the correct terminology I haven't found anything which helps.

* OK, I made the last bit up

Comments

• Do the wheels spin freely when you spin them? When I first put one of my wheels back on I didn't centre it properly and it rubbed the barke a lot.

Dunno what other checks you could do.
  • Yes, they spin fine, and I'm pretty sure they're fully central.

It's more "how tight should the lever be when you close it to secure the wheel in place?". Should it be easy or really quite hard to secure them? My gut feeling is that it should be really hard to close the clamp (a bit like on the seat column), but the warning on the forks makes me concerned that I could over tighten them and damage them.

Hope that makes sense :shock:
  • Half and half. Not too tight and not too slack. You should be able to open and close the quick release without tools. Too tight and it can affect the running of cheaper hubs, too slack and the QR can work its way off. There are lots of sites covering this. Just Google words like "quick release" and "tensioning". You will become more confident with experience. If in doubt phone Evans and ask for advice.
  • Best advice I can give which I picked up on an mtb training course: basically it should be tight enough so that you can't undo it with one finger, but you can undo it with three or four fingers. Also, position it so that you can get all three or four fingers behind it. Thereis some uncertainty in my mind as to whether its best to have the lever on the same side as disc. My preference is to have it on the opposite side, as it avoids the risk of pulling on the disc to open it, which could bend the disc. I think Shimano also recommend this, but don't quote me. I had the same anxiety as I was new to quick release levers when I got my first Avalanche. They are a great bike, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
  • Good advice Russell. Also, have the lever pointing either in line up the fork, or backwards on the bike, to prevent it snagging on anything and becoming damaged or, worse, undone. Highly unlikely I know, but not worth the risk!
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • Thanks to all of you for the replies; very helpful.

Just wish the weather for today wasn't heavy rain and gales, as I'm dying to get out on it...
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I had the same thoughts 10 days ago when I picked up my Avalanche from Evans having never used quick release before. It's a bit unnerving going on your first ride wondering if it's going to fall off! I just tried to apply a bit of common sense and fastened it back in line with the forks although I agree, pointing to the rear of the bike sounds sensible too.

You will love the bike btw, I have done around 50 miles so far, mainly a mix of country lanes, bridleways, rough stony tracks and it is a joy to ride. I am knew to this though so I don't have much to compare with but I am really impressed so far and find myself looking for the roughest line wherever I go! Some of the tracks around me are very stony and potholed but it just seems to go where you point it and inspires confidence. Can't wait to get my spds though, the pedals that came with it are cr@p :)
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Chunkin wrote:
    Thanks to all of you for the replies; very helpful.

Just wish the weather for today wasn't heavy rain and gales, as I'm dying to get out on it...
    rain or no rain get out and ride.

if its cold and raining then you get wet from the rain.
    if its hot and sunney you get wet from the sweat.

in the end you will always get a shower once you get back and the bike will need a wash.

get out get muddy and have fun on your new bike.

p.s. i find that washing the bike after a wet ride alot easyer than after a semi dry ride ( i dont think in the uk you could get a fully dusty dry ride this year :x )
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Well said. Get OUT there while you can and because you can. Some people would love to go MTBing.