Prescription cycling glasses

wheezee
wheezee Posts: 461
edited September 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I need some advice from someone who has used prescription inserts in cycling sunglasses.

I'd pretty much made up my mind to go with a pair of Rudy Project glasses, when an LBS assistant told me that the inserts fog up all the time, and the only solution was contact lenses.

What do people think? All you visually challenged, blinky-four-eyes out there, what are you using?

Comments

• wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    Now you've embarrassed me. And you didn't even tell me I should've done a search first.

Cheers! :oops:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i am trying to be nice today. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    nicklouse wrote:

It won't last :lol:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Hi

In my lifelong experience of wearing glasses, sunglasses and various combinations thereof I can offer one universal truth - they fog up. Glasses and cycling (especially MTBing in wet, humid or muddy conditions) don't mix well. In the end I found that normal glasses or pescription sun-glasses were almost as good as anything, but still (of course) fogged up. Some say that spitting on the inside of glasses helps and opticians are about to or just have launced a new anti-fogging coat on glasses. The inserts thing is more likely to fog up - twice as much lense, twice as much fog. I'm not convinced that this is a brand dependant thing either.

Personally, I my eyes lasered. I think that lasering or contacts are the best solutions to this annoying problem.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cjw wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

It won't last :lol:

:twisted:

fogging issues
    used to have similar issues when racing cars with visors/goggles etc (not to mention the screen) getting fogged up.
    Here are a few options we used (not all are suitable to be used close to eyes).

Glycerin as found in soap. the clearer the soap the more likely the glycerin content to be high. Glycerin absorbs water and a coating can last some time.

Rain-X anti fog when applied to the inside of a Visor worked....

But then i dont wear glasses :wink:

just something else to think about. 8)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown