Drink problem

syncro
syncro Posts: 120
No, not that sort of problem :lol: .
When i'm out on my sunday ride (50miles), no matter what i drink (water/ energy drink) or how i drink (big gulps/ small sips), i seem to get indigestion. Some times its quite bad and i end up feeling sick.
Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought the correct way was small amounts every 15-20 minutes?
What am i doing wrong?

Comments

• hot rod
    hot rod Posts: 412
    are you sure its the drink
    do you take any foods/gels while your riding maybe its what you had for brekky? :oops:
  • I'd say you're drinking too fast, and probably brekkie isn't helping.
  • syncro
    I normally have just a small bowl of cerial. but this has happened if i've gone out later in the day too. Any suggestions on how i should drink?
  • syncro wrote:
    No, not that sort of problem :lol: .
    When i'm out on my sunday ride (50miles), no matter what i drink (water/ energy drink) or how i drink (big gulps/ small sips), i seem to get indigestion. Some times its quite bad and i end up feeling sick.
    Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought the correct way was small amounts every 15-20 minutes?
    What am i doing wrong?

Try drinking the same amount of water at about the same frequency when you are not exercising to see if the same thing happens!
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • I know this sounds daft but I found that if I drink fluids when holding on to the handlebars with one hand and drinking from the bottle with the other, I too get indigestion/feel sick.

I now release the bars with both hands, sit up dead straight and it has almost completely cured the problem ! Worked for me, may not work for you 8)
  • syncro
    Kirklet wrote:
    I know this sounds daft but I found that if I drink fluids when holding on to the handlebars with one hand and drinking from the bottle with the other, I too get indigestion/feel sick.

I now release the bars with both hands, sit up dead straight and it has almost completely cured the problem ! Worked for me, may not work for you 8)

Now thats an interesting thought. I can see excactly what you mean. I'm not really up to riding no handed yet but i'll definately try a more upright postition when drinking, see what that does.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I read somewhere that you should drink a small mouthful of fluid every 5 minutes, not always practical but a guide I try and keep to.

Try Gaviscon liquid in your bottle, that may help the indegestion.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.