Disc compatible?

foofandan
foofandan Posts: 2
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Just in need of some quick advice...

When a bike is described as 'Disc compatible', what does this actually mean?

I'm looking at buying an GT Avalanche 3.0, but want to fit some Avid BB7's to it, i don't want to have to 'fork out' (excuse the pun!) on forks and hubs - although i can see the caliper mounting points on the forks.

Many thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it can mean anything.

from the frame being disc ready. to the frame and fork being disc ready.
    to the frame and fork and the wheels bing disc ready.

But often the gearshifters are combined with the brake levers so new gear shifters are needed as well.

have a good look at the bike or ask the questions to the seller.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • If this is the 3.0 08 or 09 they will both take the brakes.
    But i'll warn you now that the front mech as been downgraded on the 09 and replaced with better lock out forks and £39.99 more!
    I think the shifters have been downgraded aswell, only had a quick look the other day i was that busy!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most 09 bikes are this way.

Why not buy the disc version of the Avalanche?
  • Have you thought about going for the 2.0 version with cable disk brakes even? Im not sure on the retail price i only know the trade. but i imagine it will still be cheaper than the 3.0. and you get better forks and you might be able to put something like the juicy 3's on for the same price as the new 3.0
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    08 2.0 available for 350 in some places - and hydros to boot. Good buy if the geo suits|!