£200 for Microsoft Office

billybiker
billybiker Posts: 272
edited January 2009 in Campaign
Just bought a laptop for £300 with a trial version of Office and now they want some daft money for the full version. Its a rip off!

Comments

• Get the student version, has everything most people would need for under £100!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    alex16zx wrote:
    Get the student version, has everything most people would need for under £100!

doesn't have outlook though - you need the teacher version £120 to get outlook, but then it doesn't have powerpoint that the one you refer to does
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • alex16zx wrote:

I noticed that but I want Outlook. £100 is still a rip off!
  • theres lots of free altenatives to outlook and office just google it
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I'm no great fan of Microsoft, but your rant is a bit like saying "I just bought a games console for three hundred quid and now they want to charge me 50 quid a pop for the four games I want to play on it". When you buy a gramophone, you usually have to pay extra for the records.

I can still remember the howls of indignant outrage when Microsoft started giving away its operating system free with the hardware. To some that seemed to be more offensive than selling it at a market rate.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• pneumatic wrote:
    I'm no great fan of Microsoft, but your rant is a bit like saying "I just bought a games console for three hundred quid and now they want to charge me 50 quid a pop for the four games I want to play on it". When you buy a gramophone, you usually have to pay extra for the records.

I can still remember the howls of indignant outrage when Microsoft started giving away its operating system free with the hardware. To some that seemed to be more offensive than selling it at a market rate.

Maybe your right but look what appened to the record business-prices were seen as too high so the result is no-one wants to pay and downloads illegal copies instead.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    It is a complete and utter rip off! BUT to be fair you should have checked out how much it would cost when the trial ran out
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • billybiker wrote:
    Just bought a laptop for £300 with a trial version of Office and now they want some daft money for the full version. Its a rip off!

rip off?

Then maybe you should program a full office suite of software. Do you know how? Can you make Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook? Can you even use Access, much less program it?

It's only a rip off if you can do it better, for cheaper.
  • did you join just to say that?
    samtarheel wrote:
    rip off?

Then maybe you should program a full office suite of software. Do you know how? Can you make Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook? Can you even use Access, much less program it?

• Get the student edition and then mozilla firefox and thunderbird.

Thunderbird>outlook
    Firefox>IE

That is all.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    samtarheel wrote:

Just dowload Open Office, free from the t'interweb. Arguably better than MS Office (so I'm told by those that know about such things - i.e. my kids). It's got everything you need.

http://www.openoffice.org/
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Look out for The Ultimate steal Offer.

It's £39 for Office 2007 Ultimate (which has the lot) - open to students etc - if you are not a student - find one !!!
  • did you join just to say that?

Nope.

I joined to complain that Ricco is only getting a 20 month ban. If the powers that be really want to stop doping they should kick the dopers completely out of the sport with lifetime bans.

I got annoyed at the wanting Office for free.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    fossyant wrote:

It's £39 for Office 2007 Ultimate (which has the lot) - open to students etc - if you are not a student - find one !!!
    where is that offer?
    Is that the one where you need the college email address?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • the ultimate steal offer is only available for students in the usa
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    the ultimate steal offer is only available for students in the usa

.....and in the UK

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discou ... fault.aspx
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • samtarheel wrote:
    billybiker wrote:

rip off?

I can't build a Bentley either.
  • COVEC
    COVEC Posts: 213
    If it is causing such a grind that "THE MAN" is ripping you off, you should just rip him off and get a hooky copy for free. That seems to be the modus operandi of most folk :? :?

COVEC

DISCLAIMER:I do not condone any such actions nor recommend them
  • proto wrote:
    samtarheel wrote:

Just dowload Open Office, free from the t'interweb. Arguably better than MS Office (so I'm told by those that know about such things - i.e. my kids). It's got everything you need.

http://www.openoffice.org/

+1 for openoffice
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Or get a job with the NHS and you can get a copy of Office Enterprise edition for £17.
    This one contains word, outlook, one note, groove, access, excel, info path, powerpoint and publisher. This package sells for about 500 in the shops.
    And they say there are no perks in the NHS?
    If you work for the NHS already and have a work e.mail address just look up home user program (HUP) on the MS website

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    spen666 wrote:
    fossyant wrote:

where is that offer?
    Is that the one where you need the college email address?
    It is here - I just bought it. It is open to staff too, you need an ac.uk, ac.im. ac.gg, ac.je or open.ac.uk email address.

It has the lot, except Frontpage (web authoring software) and Visio which came with my Office 2003 suite.
  • coffeecup
    coffeecup Posts: 128
    I agree with martinwitnam. Check with your employer. Most public sector places are linked into the Home User Program, but it's not just public sector. I work in the private sector and my employer provides it as well

£17 for the lot
    Time you've enjoyed wasting, hasn't been wasted

Bianchi L'Una, Bianchi 928 C2C 105, Dahon MU SL
  • marusches
    marusches Posts: 129
    install limewire and bit che download office 2007 enterprise edition for eerrrr £0.00 thank you very much downloads complete with activation codes..not that i would know of course i do not condone illegal downloading whether it be norton 360v2 or adobe photoshop cs3 extended or any program
  • Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    I have the student version of Office 2007 and Thunderbird which fulfills the role of Outlook more than admirably. To be honest, I only bought Office because it had the rather nifty OneNote on it, which I love. If you can do without that then I suggest going with Mozilla and Open Office unless you can get hold of a student email address.
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • alex16zx wrote:

I know of no student that has ever payed for Microsoft software.