Biking to football matches - best facilities?

RockyHopperShow
RockyHopperShow Posts: 271
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
I went to the Emirates on Saturday to watch Arsenal v Hull City and noticed that the Gunners have a decent set-up for people to take their bikes to the match. Do other clubs have decent bike parking facilities or is it just the newer grounds or bigger clubs?
Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    AFC Wimbledon/Kingstonian have decent bike parking facilities - well, about 15 Sheffield Stands, which usually fill up on match days.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    In my younger days, when I lived in Bristol, i used to lock my bike to the railings outside the loos at Ashton Gate (Bristol City)

not sure if things have improved since... :shock:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    York City used to have a nice long length of iron railings adjacent to the ground.

They used to have a league football club as well......

Bob
  • Chelsea don't really have any, but I've got an arrangement with a local stall holder; keeps an eye on it for me. TBH I reckon the bike is pretty safe at the footy, given the number of plod and people. I mean there are better/quieter places for thieves to go about there business I'd have thought - NOT SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE!
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    To keep it on topic, come on Hull City. :wink:
    FCN 10
  • A - W wrote:

hehe, my Gooner boss was not happy this am. Not helped by me rubbing it in (Chelsea fan) :lol:
  • biondino
    Do you like Chelsea, Jash?

(Johnny come lately glory-hunting arriviste or season ticket in the second division kind of fan?)
  • I make a point of wearing my pre-Abramovich strip to the odd game. I guess I'm more of a Poyet/Zola/Flo/Wise era fan though in the sense that I came to footie relatively late (aged 15 or so), my uncle converted me. Dad and Bro are Rugby fantatics, not a game I have any time for.

Never had a season ticket though, I'd rather spend my money on cycling!

Living 10 mins ride from Stamford Bridge helps of course.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Dad and Bro are Rugby fantatics, not a game I have any time for.

Because you weigh five stone wet through with a pocket full of loose change and wearing your uranium trainers.

Must.........control...........football.............baiting...........arrrrgggghhhhh
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Greg T wrote:

Must.........control...........football.............baiting...........arrrrgggghhhhh

No, don't! You bait so well...

And it's fun!

I have no time for football... possibly because it's dull... (hides in corner giggling)
  • *tries so hard not to bite.....* :oops: :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • Greg T wrote:
    Dad and Bro are Rugby fantatics, not a game I have any time for.

Because you weigh five stone wet through with a pocket full of loose change and wearing your uranium trainers.

Not biting. I was a useful winger in my time, but in the end Rugby was just to homo-erotic for me... so I moved to the lycra clad world of the road cyclist.

Hang on, that doesn't work does it?
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    A - W wrote:

I was relying on Hull having a shocker of a season* but it looks like we'll just have to rely on Spurs and Newcastle instead, and maybe Bolton :lol:

* Stoke fan
  • Hull City have pretty good facilities for bikes at the KC Stadium . I hope you enjoyed the match on saturday , I did :D
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • I went to the Portsmouth game yesterday and was surprised at how many pompey fans left on bikes.

Crap, we've got to play Hull and Stoke in the next few weeks :cry:
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Exeter City have just got some cycle racks outside their Doble/Big Bank stand, have to say very nice and a few of the players have been seen turning up on their bikes before matches!

The Riverside (Middlesbrough) have a very nice set up for bikes...never used mind because you wouldn't dare cycle to that side of the town and expect to come back with your bike intact :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Chelsea don't really have any, but I've got an arrangement with a local stall holder; keeps an eye on it for me. TBH I reckon the bike is pretty safe at the footy, given the number of plod and people. I mean there are better/quieter places for thieves to go about there business I'd have thought - NOT SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE!

Aha, interesting. I was thinking of cycling to Stamford Bridge as I'm sick of the hassle of getting across town from East London and the fact that TfL insist of shutting all the lines that I need on match days for essential engineering :x I don't recall seeing any stands there but as I have a mate who has a hotline to the top dogs in the club I might ask him to find out why...

...and as it is obligatory for me to explain myself due to our super rich status - I currently have a half share of a season ticket and I've seen my club relegated 3 times. Spent 26 years of grief while we won v little so have no problem enjoying the good times now :)
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    SecretSam wrote:
    In my younger days, when I lived in Bristol, i used to lock my bike to the railings outside the loos at Ashton Gate (Bristol City)

the cyle parking might have but i'm fairly sure the loos at trashton are still as bad as ever ;)

:D
  • biondino
    ...and as it is obligatory for me to explain myself due to our super rich status - I currently have a half share of a season ticket and I've seen my club relegated 3 times. Spent 26 years of grief while we won v little so have no problem enjoying the good times now :)

Heh - I was just teasing Jash since he has a proven record of enjoying the finer things in life (see his signature) :) My dad was at a Chelsea match when I was born - my mum went into labour while he headed off to Stamford Bridge to see the blues beat Newcastle 1-0, then went to the hospital to see me born about an hour later.

Didn't work though. I'm a Dons fan of 25 years standing, which means I have supported the same team in 8 different divisions - bet no-one here can match that (unless they were a Dons fan a decade before I discovered them, then you could claim 9 divisions).
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    Just wanted to say that although the bike park at the Emirates is excellent, finding it, and using it isn't exactly a simple process. I walked past it about three times before being shown where it is (No signs whatsoever) and then had to find the guy with the keys to let me in, wade through the boxes stacked in the goods entrance of the superstore and lock the bike up with just two others in a facility built for about 100 bikes. The bike Gaoler has to stand at the gate waiting for you to come out, and then you have to go through the whole process again afterwards. Secure? Yes. Easy to use? No.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If you ride to White Hart Lane you can leave your bike in the trophy cabinet as your bike will be the only thing in it this season :roll:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    biondino wrote:

Didn't work though. I'm a Dons fan of 25 years standing, which means I have supported the same team in 8 different divisions - bet no-one here can match that (unless they were a Dons fan a decade before I discovered them, then you could claim 9 divisions).

Ahh but only a Coventry fan of some yeaes would be able to say they have seen there team play in every division of the football league & premier league

Not me though- I'm not old enough, nor a Coventry fan
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • beverick
    redvee wrote:
    If you ride to White Hart Lane you can leave your bike in the trophy cabinet as your bike will be the only thing in it this season :roll:

At Newcastle they'd be happy to have the bike....

Bob
  • beverick
    spen666 wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Ahh but only a Coventry fan of some yeaes would be able to say they have seen there team play in every division of the football league & premier league

...or Bradford City, or Barnsley, or Sheffield United (there's a bit of a trend here) and Watford at least.
  • secretsam
    ris wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

the cyle parking might have but i'm fairly sure the loos at trashton are still as bad as ever ;)

:D

Smell of gas round here? :lol:

• biondino
    beverick wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    biondino wrote:

...or Bradford City, or Barnsley, or Sheffield United (there's a bit of a trend here) and Watford at least.

And Wimbledon. Good point though - if you differentiate between the old 1st division and the premier league then I'm up to 9!
  • spen666
    beverick wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    biondino wrote:

No, sorry none of them have played in ALL the divisions

Only coventry have

Check your record books. 50 years ago is the key

Twittering @spen_666
  • biondino
    Are you talking north and south divisions? Slightly unfair on us clubs who weren't in the league 50 years ago.
  • secretsam
    biondino wrote:
    Are you talking north and south divisions? Slightly unfair on us clubs who weren't in the league 50 years ago.

Are you now AFC Wimbledon, or did you defect to the McDons?

• spen666
    biondino wrote:

Your club existed 50 years ago- just not good enough in those days to be in the league - and more importantly, even if they had been in league 50 years ago were geographically challenged

Twittering @spen_666