IMPORTANT - Please Read

2»

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Well done snooks.

It is a HGV drivers job to be safe and secure on the road and they will always try their best to avoid anything as it is their sole income to drive - I have always had nothing but praise for them and have never had an incident with a HGV in 10 years + of cycling. If you go up the left when a HGV clearly needs a wide birth to get around a corner/junction then you are simply a fool monkey and deserve to get flattened - so don't complain about it.

What utter garbage.

I've seen plenty of large vehicles, including HGV's driven around London like rally cars in my time; no thought whatsoever to what's on the road with them.

I've seen cement trucks driven at pedestrians crossing the road with a real "get out of my way" attitude, had a pedestrian fallen over then we'd be talking death.

I've been overtaken by such vehicles who then swing left (cars do this too in case you hadn't noticed).

Snooks, I hope the support from a poster with an attitude like gtvlusso makes you think again about your campaign, which give the absolute impression it was always the cyclists fault if they get squished; dangerous. There's already enough anti cyclist comments along the lines of well they were a cyclist they deserved it for my liking.

Your poster makes me feel the same as when I see one of those signs that says "cyclists beware large lorrys turning", when it should say "large lorrys beware of cyclists".
  • [/Your poster makes me feel the same as when I see one of those signs that says "cyclists beware large lorries turning", when it should say "large lorries beware of cyclists".]

The problem is who is more likely to take notice of the campaign - the guys in the HGV or the cyclists - maybe you should use both versions of the poster together
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    The problem is who is more likely to take notice of the campaign - the guys in the HGV or the cyclists - maybe you should use both versions of the poster together

That would be more like it, look out for each other, less blameful and more inclusive.

I did like the "share the roads" campaign but that seems to have died a death since s**t law breaking cyclist come car nut Boris Johnson got to 'run' London.

http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=458
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    moonio wrote:
    I think what Gavin is trying to say is that in many accident cases it is not the cyclist who was at fault due to undertaking but cars/lorries overtaking and turning left.

moonio wins a coconut.

Having had 2 friends involved in KSI cycling incidents, and 1 killed in a very badly reported mountaineering accident I am acutely aware of the upset misguided and self-opinionated comments on web forums can cause. Those killed have parents and partners and friends and at least one had children. Do not underestimate how widely this forum is read. Imagin it was someone you knew having their end conjecturised about.

As for the comments by DOOG442 - as you obviously know about disclosure then you'll also recall there have been a number of trials thrown out due to open discussion in the traditional media. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. If charges are pressed against any of the parties involved would you want your post to be the one to derail justice?

Read this article Gavin Gilbert

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ister.html

Heaven help us, a national newspaper reporting on a road death and 52 comments below it all of which are opinion. If there was a danger of a possibile future criminal trial being thrown out as a result of open discussion on an internet forum / site there would be rules to prevent it .Yet here we have a road death that is still at the investigation phase and a national newspaper encouraging the public to comment on it!

Are you suggesting that there should be a news blackout / no public discussion on every suspicious or accidental death that occurs in case it derails a possible future trial :?:
  • How 'bout closing the thread, abandoning inferences in relation to specific incidents having ongoing police investigations, and import the general dicsussion about sharing the roads with HGV's to Moonio's thread started in response to a near miss she had on Blackfriar's the other morning.

Even for me, this is getting a bit heated.
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    On my commute in this morning (Bromley to Grays inn road) I saw loads of lorries with 'do not pass on the left" stickers :)

But equally large numbers of cyclist ignoring it (or not even noticing the lorry) and going straight up the inside at junctions...

It was quite shocking
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    We all know to treat all other road users like unpredictable idiots. Cyclists who don't think this way are foolish! All we want is for people not to be killed on the roads, and this means making an effort with everyone, cyclists, lorries, cars, pedestrians.

People who are arguing "don't target the cyclists, target the lorries" are missing out on the fact their fellow cyclists can be just as unlucky and just as fallible. No-ones BLAMING anyone here, we just wants to minimise tragic loss of life. All of us have this goal so let's not quibble.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    biondino...I agree. I like to treat everyone on the road as an idiot including cyclists, pedestrians, car drivers, lorry drivers, bus drivers, the lot.

Always expect them to do the most stupid thing possible, then if they don't I still don't lose.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    I run a fleet of 25+ accident recovery vehicles is there any chance of a bumper sticker style format as I cant seem to down load the A5 one for some reason ?
    I'll then put them on the n/s rear of our trucks Cheers !
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Mark_K wrote:
    I run a fleet of 25+ accident recovery vehicles is there any chance of a bumper sticker style format as I cant seem to down load the A5 one for some reason ?
    I'll then put them on the n/s rear of our trucks Cheers !

Links should work now (using a different flie hosting place now)

Had a word with my mate about designing a bumper sticker....so watch this space :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    TheLondonPaper (afternoon free rag) had a reasonably well balanced full page article on Cyclists and HGVs. Today:

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/cs/Satell ... Controller

Not perfect, but informative, not too sensational and it doesn't mention RLJ once.

Only downside is the people who need to read will be on bikes rather than stuck on commuter trains reading it!

Rufus.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Seems the London Fixed-gear and Single-speed have been having the same sort of thoughts

http://www.londonfgss.com/thread10802.html
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs