How will I benefit?

judokev
judokev Posts: 49
edited September 2008 in Training, fitness and health
Hi all,

I am curious, at the moment on top of doing Pilate's on a Monday, Judo on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and some times Ju-Jitsu on a Sunday how should I be using my time on the bike?

At the moment I am squeezing in 3 rides a week doing 20 miles in 1hr 10. I am not going full tilt but don't feel its to slow. I could probably get out more but I am sure we all say that.

I have read on here about doing longer rides to build endurance but at the moment I am limited with work and other training so should I be looking at hill work one day instead of just doing loops and timing myself?

I write down my times and average heart rate as a guide, my goal is improved fitness and maintaining or dropping my weight, this is all working ok at the moment I am just after some ideas to keep it fresh.

Thanks all

Judokev :D

Sorry about the exta posts computer playing up

Comments

• Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    judokev wrote:
    I have read on here about doing longer rides to build endurance but at the moment I am limited with work and other training so should I be looking at hill work one day instead of just doing loops and timing myself?

Unless you're training for a specific event (s), personally I wouldn't over-analyse it too much - I currently do 3 or 4 35 mile training rides per week at a 16.5 - 17.5 mph Avg (typically) - each ride contains between 1000 - 1200 ft of climbing - within the loops, I get access to one or two 1.5 - 2.5 mile stretches of smooth road which enables me to keep a near constant 22 - 24 mph - so, within the loop I get some "TT pace" and on short inclines I get to Sprint, and there's plenty of recovery across the ride (and the odd 30-60 second stop if need be) - so, clearly you can get plenty of "useful variety" and an "interval quality" within a humble training ride.

One obvious option would be to extend your training rides from 20 to 30 miles and include plenty of "hills". As boring as it sounds, Hilly training rides are one of the best foundations for a whole raft of cycling activities.
  • Given that:

1. you're not particularly interested in training for specific cycling events or competing on the bike
    2. your main interest is Judo

... I'd suggest focusing on interval work. you'll get the fat-burning effect, but also develop your stamina above lactate threshold (where competitive Judo takes place) plus - and it's a big plus for judo - you'll improve your recovery speed after all-out effort.
  • Thanks guys,

cock_sportif, Am I right in thinking interval training is say hard for 2mins then easy for 2mins? or would I do this different, more rest time? also is it eye balls out hard or 80% of max heart rate?

Your on the money for why I am on the bike everyone says running is the best exercise for fitness and stamina but I hate running and always end up injured.

Mettan, Cheers I will up the milage it cant do any harm

Thanks Judokev :shock:
  • judokev wrote:
    Am I right in thinking interval training is say hard for 2mins then easy for 2mins? or would I do this different, more rest time? :shock:

2 on 2 off maybe a bit much at first. Try 1 min on 2 mins off. This may allow your legs to recover more thoroughly so you can attack each interval. :)
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity