How seriously do you take aches and pains?

BUICK
BUICK Posts: 362
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
I'm asking because I've recently upped the gearing on my fixed gear bike as something of an experiment and potential aid to *ahem* 'training' (I'm not working towards an event or doing any particularly structured riding - but commuting every day and going out for longer rides on weekends etc and 'working' on increasing my strength and fitness). I have had to ease in to it and gradually extend the rides on the new gear and have been delighted with the progress and 'feel' of it, but have also got a slight twinge in my left achilles that has persisted over the last couple of days. I've not noticed it whilst riding - only later when at rest

Obviously, if you are in agony after a ride you are going to take measures to protect yourself, such as NOT riding for a while, seeing your doctor, taking anti-inflammatorys or whatever (I would expect) - but what about when you have faint discomfort somewhere specific? Would you just 'keep an eye on it' and see how it goes or take evasive action? If the latter what would you do? Soaks and rubs or other remedies?
'07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
'07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*

Comments

• Did you up the gearing by getting a smaller sproket? If so, would it be a fiddle to alternate between the easier (old) and harder (new) sproket on different days, allowing your legs to gradually take the strain of the new workload?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • BUICK
    I did indeed change the sprocket and have approached rides as you have suggested - I didn't feel like I had much choice to be fair! I really felt the strain on the first couple of rides, but am feeling much more on top of things now. I just wonder what people might do to soothe minor ailments like the one I'm describing - or should I take it more seriously and see it as a warning sign?
  • I don't pay much attention to minor aches until they have been around for quite a few days. However, I don't know if I set a good example in anything that I do. :lol:
  • i do the same thing, tend to just ignore them until they become a real problem
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I am a hypochondriac. I go into a blind panic at the slightest twinge.
  • BUICK
    Hey Joe - I think you'll find that you aren't a hypochondriac - it's all in your head. These days you have an 'anxiety disorder' I believe. Ahem. :oops:
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    If its other peoples aches and pains then I just ignore them as time wasting neurotics, but if they are mine I always take them extremely seriously.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Importantly, understand the difference between muscle aches and more serious inflammation of tendons and joints. Muscle pains schould recede within a day or 2, whereas prolonged pain and sensitivity beyond that time should be treated more seriously as it could result in a chronic condition. I expect acheing legs after a hard ride, but not any tenderness or pain in the joints or tendons. Treat inflammations with NSAIDs if OK, ice and rest. If they persist seek expert help. For your achilles, check the heels of your shoes aren't interfering.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I've had a cold for 35 years.
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    I've had a cold for 35 years.

hahaha thought you might have recovered in that amount of time
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Faint discomfort?Lucky bastard,what wouldn`t I give to feel faint discomfort!
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • BUICK
    Decided that prevention would be better than cure, so took a couple of ibuprofen, spent a good while rubbing my left achilles with some deep heat and slept with one of those tight bandage tube things on my left knee, which was also feeling a bit uncomfortable. Took Sunday off the bike despite the glorious weather and will see what happens after next ride.