Runny Nose!!!

carnocs3m5
carnocs3m5 Posts: 5
edited September 2008 in Training, fitness and health
Over the last few months and more, whenever i ride my road bike i will get a constant runny nose after 10 minutes and for the next 3 hours i am constantly wiping away massive slings of snot every couple of minutes. I have not had a cold in ages and before and after rides never get a runny nose, sneeze or any other cold symptons but im beggining to get frustated which this. my only guess is the wind going up my nose or something like that, but has this happened to anyone else or know anything i can do about it?

Comments

• Simple. Avoid milk.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    There was a thread about this subject a few months ago.

Basically, exercise makes your sinuses produce loads of mucus. I think it's to trap all of the extra dust and stuff you are inhaling because you are breathing more, and to protect the membranes in your air passages from the physical effects of hard breathing. It's a good thing. There are two approaches to dealing with it - you are either a blower or a snorter. You can just sniff it right back and swallow, or blow it out of one nostril (you often see runners doing this). Both techniques take a bit of practice.
  • This problem is exacerbated by colder weather.

Dairy products are supposed to increase mucus production but if you suffer from this condition (can't remember the medical term right now) abstaining won't make any difference.

You just have to put up with it i'm afraid.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    neeb wrote:
    There was a thread about this subject a few months ago.

Basically, exercise makes your sinuses produce loads of mucus. I think it's to trap all of the extra dust and stuff you are inhaling because you are breathing more, and to protect the membranes in your air passages from the physical effects of hard breathing. It's a good thing. There are two approaches to dealing with it - you are either a blower or a snorter. You can just sniff it right back and swallow, or blow it out of one nostril (you often see runners doing this). Both techniques take a bit of practice.

Actually its fairly easy to do the snot rocket.

Now doing it without covering your club mates behind you is another thing....
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    I hate it when it goes down your cheek or on your shoulder :(
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I'm always clearing nostrils to the side and spitting while I ride - like, every few minutes or so.

It's a shame I'm so bad at it, considering. You should see the state of whatever top I'm wearing by the time I get home. I've managed to spit on my arm before too.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Me too, I'm a gobber and snotter I'm afraid.

Gloves deffo have to be washed after every ride!
  • Hey there,

I agree that there's nothing you can do about it. I always carry a tissue in my back pocket, but most of the time I'm spitting like total ned.
    For what it's worth, to avoid spitting over myself, I flick my elbow out and spit through the gap. It's gross, but what else can you do?

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    For what it's worth, to avoid spitting over myself, I flick my elbow out and spit through the gap. It's gross, but what else can you do?

See, if I did that I'm manage to get it on my thigh, or upper arm somehow... Hell, I'd probably manage to get it on my opposite elbow, I'm that bad.