Lucozade

Fru T Bunn
Fru T Bunn Posts: 159
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

Today I was forced into a ride twice as long as I planned as the train I was on didn't stop at the station it was supposed to. How we laughed. 35 miles instead of 16 is some achievement mind.

Anyway, my pal bought some Lucozade from a shop and I had some. It didn't make me feel any better; worse if I am to be honest. Is this something to bear in mind for the future or could it have been my body just saying enough is enough (I'm quite chunky)?

I'm smiling now so things aren't that bad.

Cheers,
Fru

Comments

• daz51
    daz51 Posts: 159
    my magic food on the bike is Bannans !!!!!!!!!!

have 2 before i leave and 1 half way round and i feel its make a big difference
  • If it was fizzy Luvozade it could make you feel bad...still Lucozade shouldn't really make you feel worse even if it doesn't have any positive effects.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    I took Lucozade Sport with me once and it gave me gut ache. Now I stick to water and orange squash.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    I've got thoroughly sick of Lucozade Sport, just too sweet. The last lot I had I ended up diluting 50% with water which helped. Not sure other energy drinks are any better mind.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • DW01
    DW01 Posts: 66
    I think lucozade sport is really nice and gives me quite a perk when i need it, but thats just my opinion... wouldnt consider normal lucozade though, its disgusting.
  • I did my first 100 miler 2 days ago and used Lucozade Sport to top-up my bottles at 55 miles. I did notice a mild gut ache, but no loss of pace, over the last 45 miles. Overall I would say that it did the job, however, I will be trying something different next time.
  • DW01 wrote:
    I think lucozade sport is really nice and gives me quite a perk when i need it, but thats just my opinion... wouldnt consider normal lucozade though, its disgusting.
    good hangover cure thou
  • so what would you sujjest i drink instead scince i only ever drink lucazade and it seems to help alot or could it just be a placeebo
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    It's horses for courses really. I use Gatorade but know that some people find that too sweet. The SIS PS22 drink at http://www.scienceinsport.com/acatalog/copy_of_PSP22_energy.html did get a good write up in the magazine. The important thing about whatever you drink is that it should replace lost salts and electrolytes as well as rehydrate.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Fru T Bunn wrote:
    Hi,

Today I was forced into a ride twice as long as I planned as the train I was on didn't stop at the station it was supposed to. How we laughed. 35 miles instead of 16 is some achievement mind.

Anyway, my pal bought some Lucozade from a shop and I had some. It didn't make me feel any better; worse if I am to be honest. Is this something to bear in mind for the future or could it have been my body just saying enough is enough (I'm quite chunky)?

I'm smiling now so things aren't that bad.

Cheers,
    Fru

It did no good for you because it is gassy sweet rubbish! You're far better getting on of the SiS electrolyte powders and mixing it up, then having some on your journey. That will help you.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Please....

We are talking about water, sugar, and salt.

Any of the brands does the same thing. As they are balanced to your body's natural level they will be absorbed quicker than water. They replace the salts sweated out, and the sugar you burn.

So, no discussion to be had. They work. all of them.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Scrumple wrote:
    Please....

We are talking about water, sugar, and salt.

Any of the brands does the same thing. As they are balanced to your body's natural level they will be absorbed quicker than water. They replace the salts sweated out, and the sugar you burn.

So, no discussion to be had. They work. all of them.

Then why do some brands of "the same thing" make certain poeple feel sick whilst they can cope with others :roll:
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live