Never thought I'd discuss this topic! - Tyre changing

moeleilio
moeleilio Posts: 33
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
OK, real Noob question, apolgies in advance, but I was doing my nut at the time. :oops: :oops:

I bought some slicks, and last weekend, tried to fit them, I do a fair amount of road riding with my son, as well as some dirt tracks on my own.

I have fitted hundreds of tyres, as a child, and adult, but there tyres had the devil in them.

I bought Halfords own brand !? but not sure if its the tyres or me.

I did try to fit them cold, and using metal tyre levers.

The problem I had is fitting the final 3 or 4 inches, each time I tried, I caught the inner tube.

I have the right size tube, not over or underfilled IMHO.

I managed to fit one, but gave up on the second, and re-fitted the semi slick I have been using.

The tyre does seem deformed, ie, a little warped.

Should I be warming the tyre, using talc or something, plastic or carbon levers to avoid the pinch.

I was going mad trying to fit them :roll: , please help keep me sane!

Comments

• pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    Try fitting the tyre to the wheel with the inner removed - it gives the tyre a chance to stretch a little bit without risking pinching the inner against the wheel. Once I've done this I try not to use levers when I'm fitting the tyre with the inner, for the same reason. Putting a bit of air in the inner helps guide it into the tyre, and can stop it catching. Also, fitting the tyre starting at the valve and moving away from it means that you get a bit more slack in the tyre, and can avoid pinching the inner.
  • Thanks for the advice, real noob question huh,

I will try fititng it, and leave it a while to see of stretches

Cheers
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    also make sure that the bead is in the rim well to give the tyre a chance of getting over the rim.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Helps if the tyre is nice and warm makes it stretchier if your doing it in winter its a good idea to leave it near a radiator for a few minutes
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Also, once the tube is seated in the rim, let ALL of the air out of it before fitting the second side of the tyre.

I had a similar problem fitting a tyre the other week and this seemed to fix it.

Stu
  • Thanks for all the response, really appreciated.

Going to try again to refit the slicks tommorrow, well back one anyway.

Had another puncture last weekend, :(:( and these slicks have a kevlar lining :D , I'm fed up with flats.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    put some slime or other brand of tyre sealant in the tubes it will help prevent anything smaller than a chunk of glass stopping you riding
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Hey Stubs,

Yeah, will consider slime, see how I get on now that I have fitted the second slick.

When I say fitted, I mean I swapped the warped on for a new one, FOC, and then got Haflords to fit the new one for me, they tried to charge, but after a bit of a chat, decided to fit also FOC.

So, we hear loads of negative press about Halfords, but I have found, in the main, Halfords Bangor to be informative, helpfull and professional, so thanks.

It does depend who you speak to in the big stores, I know, but they have a few good guys in the Bangor store.

Out tommorrow, plan for NO flats, and plenty of miles
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Crank Brothers Speed Levers - makes fitting tyres far easier.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Reddragon, its funny you say that, due to all the patching and frustration trying to fit the warped tyre, when I went in today, I decided to buy some nylon levers, and spotted the crank brother speed levers so nabbed them, coincidence huh!