Moomaloid
Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
edited September 2008 in Pro race
AMazing!!!! Well done Nicole, Britains best cyclist!! :lol:

Comments

• campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    edited September 2008
    She must have been that quick she dropped an e off the end of her name :lol:
    but great ride chapeau

Nicole Cooke campione del mondo sounds good

ah the beauty of editing eh moomaloid :wink: guess the excitement got ya eh :lol:
  • Good job I wasn't waiting to see the highlights later - better to post spoiler in the title, and not the result.

Well done Nicole tho'
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    Brillant race
    I wasn't sure whether she was waiting to attack or hadn't got anything left but great ride by Nicole
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Brilliant race, Brilliant Cooke!!
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    better to post spoiler in the title, and not the result.

yeah, thanks for that :roll: :x
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I think that was probably the best race I've seen all year.

And what tune was the band playing for the medal ceremony, as it sure wasn't our national anthem?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    quality finish for the welsh rider :)
    cartoon.jpg
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I think that was probably the best race I've seen all year.

+1 and I've seen loads! I only hope the men's race is half as good.
    GB are now offically the world's number one cycling nation. :)
    I wonder where Wales are in the rankings? 8)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Well done to Nicole and the entire British team, who were all prominent today. That was a sensational last lap and Cooke rode a tactically superb race.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    andyp wrote:
    I worry that she hasn't got what it takes to win the Olympics or the Worlds.
    I don't know how you can say that about a rider who has had a bronze and silver medal at World Championships, had numerous World Cup wins and shown time and time again that she's a very consistent performer in world-class events. I'm also pretty darn sure she'll prove you wrong sooner or later too.
    Ruth 2, Andy 0 :wink:

Ruth
  • andyp
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    I worry that she hasn't got what it takes to win the Olympics or the Worlds.
    I don't know how you can say that about a rider who has had a bronze and silver medal at World Championships, had numerous World Cup wins and shown time and time again that she's a very consistent performer in world-class events. I'm also pretty darn sure she'll prove you wrong sooner or later too.
    Ruth 2, Andy 0 :wink:

Ruth
    Ha ha. :oops:

I like how you shorten the quote to make me look even dumber though!
  • andyp wrote:
    I like how you shorten the quote to make me look even dumber though!
    Obviously either a politician or a newshound!
    Got a good memory either way!
    Watched most of Eurosport's coverage, inbetween a spot of cleaning and such.
    Had me on the edge of my seat, would they get that break back, could Nicole hang in there, could they get back the escapees, were they leaving it too late to chase the Swede, could Nicole get upto and then around Voss?
    Leapt out of the chair when she won!
    I hope the Elite race tomorrow is as good as this one and the U-23.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    Superb Race !!!
    Brilliant performance by GB finished-off by a MASSIVE effort from Nicole.
    To me she never looked on top of it - she just tries SO hard !!!
    Unforgettable. I can't believe tomorrow will be as entertaining.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Sorry, Andy. Not really gloating, but just very pleased indeed to see Cooke get everything absolutely right and become the first rider (male or female) to become both Olympic and World Champ in the same year. Nobody can say that that race was dull or that she wasn't an extremely worthy winner. Cooke and the rest of the British team today (and in Beijing) have just done the most brilliant piece of promotional work for women in cycle sport that this country has ever seen. :D

Ruth
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    haven't seen it yet but looking forward to it all the more now I know the result - chapeau that woman! Guess she just needed that extra confidence from the Olympic win and knowing that she had the support of some good teammates.

Pity she won't make SPOTY but it has been a crazy year for British cycling and this really tops it off :D
  • andyp
    No need to apologise Ruth - she rode a very intelligent race today and it paid off.

Some good quotes here;

http://velonews.com/article/83800/cooke ... gold-again

Nice to see Vos being so magnanimous in defeat too. She was unlucky today as she looked to be the strongest rider on the day. Sometimes you need to be the cleverest rider to win though.
  • Absolutely blinding race - she didn't make a single slip from start to finish.

BEST BIKE RIDER IN THE WORLD!
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Roedd Nicole Cooke yn ennill y Fedal Aur yn yr Olympaidd - nawr mae hi'n pencampwyr y byd! Da Iawn merch - bendegedig!!
  • Hard to like Cooke when she suck the wheel all day, refuse to take turns then sprint past Vos who made the race.

Also Cooke has the horrible ugly riding style!

Better to lose with honor than win with no honor or style.
  • andyp
    Oh the irony of someone posting under the name "Gianni Bugno" complaining about following the wheels and winning the Worlds in a sprint!
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    a_n_t wrote:

Why visit the site though if you dont want to know the result ? Never quite understood that myself why folk who dont want to know the result visit a cycling forum !

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I noticed Judith Arndt wasn't very happy collecting her bronze, really p!ssed off. Can't blame her I guess.

(And her name makes me think of Dr Evil saying "Scotty don't!")
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    vermooten wrote:
    I noticed Judith Arndt wasn't very happy collecting her bronze, really p!ssed off. Can't blame her I guess.

(And her name makes me think of Dr Evil saying "Scotty don't!")

She looked a bit happeir than when she won this medal though

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200408/r27502_68243.jpg :-)

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    I have to agree with a couple of earlier posts. That was the best race I've watched all year (well the last lap was). I'm just glad I have sky plus so will be able to video highlights. Well done to all the girls in the team.
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:

Why visit the site though if you dont want to know the result ? Never quite understood that myself why folk who dont want to know the result visit a cycling forum !

cheers
    MG

Sometimes people don't get chance to watch it live, but do have time to pop onto the forum before the highlights programme.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    edited September 2008
    Moray Gub wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:
    cheers
    MG
    I watch cycle racing because I love cycling.

I visit this cycling forum because I love cycling.

I follow the forum using the View posts in category since last visit function because it saves me having to wade through every section of the forum every time that I want to catch up. There is no switch that lets me catch up in this way without seeing new entries in the Race category. That's why I like everyone to stick to the Spoiler convention when posting. Is that okay?

By your logic I shouldn't answer the phone, read my emails, or talk to fellow cyclists either when there is an interesting race on just in case someone blabs out the results. Given that there are 3 3-week tours, numerous 1-week tours, a score or so of great 1-day races, numerous track events, MTB races, cyclo-cross, world championships, olympics etc. etc., I'd spend an awful lot of time cutting myself off just because a few people can't be bothered to follow a simple convention.

I'd be equally upset if a movie review gave away important details of the plot. For example - Se7en is a film about two homicide detectives' desperate hunt for a serial killer... and the final twist is that there it's a SPOILER in the SPOILER (in case you haven't seen it yet!) :wink:

PS I watched my recording BEFORE seing the spoilers - what a great race!
  • Well done to all the women in this race. There were times in the last lap it could have been any of the 5, though at times I too thought that Nicole had nothing left. Fantastic race to watch (can the men's race match it?). Well done Nicole.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    jharris wrote:
    I too thought that Nicole had nothing left.

Nicole Cooke always looks knackered
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Incredibly exciting race, really enjoyed that one! Vos was clearly the strongest and gutsiest rider, but Cooke the cleverest; well done ladies!
  • Hard to like Cooke when she suck the wheel all day, refuse to take turns then sprint past Vos who made the race.

Also Cooke has the horrible ugly riding style!

Better to lose with honor than win with no honor or style.

She's chased down more attacks in previous World Champs than the rest of that field put together. As for not having style on the bike - well Merckx wasn't the best stylist on a bike and it didn't do him any harm.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.