BHF South West Randonnee Challenge

Bmjboy
Bmjboy Posts: 680
edited September 2008 in MTB rides
As part of a training kick up the backside, we have been looking to put ourselves into a long/endurance ride in 2009. This will help me focus on a training schedule and an ultimate goal.

Im not greatly fit yet, but its getting there, but Im still overweight.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the fitness level required to tackle this event? Its obviously my first and dont want to kill myself!

Will probably do the 60miler.

Info here:
http://www.bhf.org.uk/get_involved/take_part_in_our_events/event_display.aspx?e=3235

Any input and advice welcome...!
"I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet

Comments

• FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Have a look on the fitness section.

Realistically the only way to get fittier is to get out & ride more.

There are plenty of rides in the Plymouth area and I'm sure the same around Exeter.

I did my first 50 miler a couple of months ago (again a charity ride) and loved it. I was riding a couple of times a week prior to the event, about 40-50 miles total.

Remember it is not a race, so go at a pace that suits you.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    We're currently doing 20-25miles a week on a very hilly off-road approx 1500ft of climbing per session.

This would obviously need to increase, but was just wondering if you need to be a hardened endurance rider or a noob to long distance off-roading.

I understand being a charoty ride that its no race, but I dont want to be last, or worse, have to withdraw.

Maybe i will look for a shorter ride before this one to get some guage of how I am doing.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet