DIY or LBS

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited September 2008 in The workshop
If you have a problem with your bike do you try to fix it yourself or take it to the LBS or does it depend on the nature of problem?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• itboffin
    So the question is should I try to replace a broken spoke and then true the wheel myself?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If you get the spoke and have a spoke key give it a blast yourself. Take one from the wheel and get 2/3 of them from LBS for spares.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I'm the kind of guy that installs extra USB ports in laptops for fun, repairs PDAs with judicious placement of cardboard, and builds talking voiceboxes for teddy bears to make Christmas presents for youngsters. If it's broke, I'll open it and try to fix it. If it's not broke, I'll open it to find out how it works. I only shy away from things like gas installations and infernal combustion engines.

So yeah: give me a tool (and maybe some hints from a website) and let me at it. ;)

As for yourself, unless you really don't feel confident, give it a go!
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Depends on the issue.

Me and Dad were going to change the steering rack on my car and replace the 4-speed for a 5-speed but we realised we couldn't be arsed, took the box off the donor block and got it fitted. The donor block is still hanging from the engline lift.

On the other hand I have added
    Central locking, Electric mirrors, sports steering wheel, electric windows, intermittent wash wipe, (currently broken) electronic ignition, better interior bits, better boot lighting, auxilluary driving lamps and front fog lamps my self.

There is a Bosch K-Jet hanging on the block in the garage and I intend on that being fitted probably myself. If I find the bits for TURBO APC it may be a different matter.

When mum wanted a new PC I looked at buying from Dell or Mesh or somewhere, I eventually realised it woudl be a lot les hassle (and suprisingly cheaper) if i jsut went and built one. So I did, then Dad decided he wanted one, so I built a slightly better one... Now I have the worst PC in the house, but can't be bothered building a new one.

Of all the things I have had done to my bikes the only thing I have avoided is building a wheel, jsut too easy to order from Merlin, which reminds me I could do with a 6/7 speed MTB rear and a 7 speed 700 rear.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    bike mechanics is really very simple - what value can a bike shop add?
  • the right bits and Sheldon Brown;s website are all you need for nearly all bike repairs. Can't remember the list time I took a bike to the lbs for work
  • I'll have a go myself first, especially with my big blue book which I am finding very useful, but if I get nowhere I'll go tot he LBS for advice - my LBS are great, they know me pretty well by now and will actually give me a hand, help me out with things and show me what to do and what tools I need to buy/borrow.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DIY everytime - I am cheap....so very cheap....and I RLJ, no hope for me, but it is looking like a lovely weekend - race y'all to the beach!!
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Depends on what you are confortable with and have the tools for.

If a job looks like it is in your comfort zone after a read of park tools then yay otherwise take it to the LBS.

Also if its a job where the cost of the tools is alot more then the LBS and you are unlikly to use the tool again then LBS is the way.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • itboffin
    Even with park tools and Sheldon's web sites I still think there a real lack of simple to follow DIY instructions, close up pictures and step by step "human" explanations.

I have many many books which do help but always seem to miss some bits out, I guess they consider them to simple to need explaining, eh no!

As i'm rapidly finding out most of the jobs are pretty easy once you've done them a couple of times and have the right tools, did I mention having the rights tools.

Right! it's off to the garage for some weekend fettling ...
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I personally like park, grimnetime and sheldon.

It is true that you won't get all the way there just by looking on these sites though.

I have taken a learn by doing attitude, read these guides and the workshop sections on this site and had a go stating on easy stuff and working up. Eventually you will find that the park description is more then enough.

With tougher LBS jobs I like to take the watch and learn approach if its a while you wait job.

and yeah, the right tools are an absolute must!
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Recently took my commuter into lbs for a service - as much to support a new local business as anything. The result? Over £50 down, and it is running worse than at any time in the last 15 years! Am going to have a word this week to see if they can have another look, but will most likely be sticking to DIY in future.
  • itboffin
    I have my back whee in a LBS right now for a replacement spoke and wheel truing, it's been there for six days so far and I'm beginning to worry WTH is going on!?!

In other news I spent all of today learning to repair hubs and lacing wheels, again not a difficult as I'd first thought but there's no way I'm gonna ride on those wheels :shock: