going backwards

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2008 in Training, fitness and health
Hi.

Well I cant help notice my fitness seems to be going backwards.

It has became very noticable today, I cycled from Manchester to Selby, its about 62 miles and went over the pennines via huddersfield, wakefield and sherburn in elmet, now I'd say it is a rolling route but with some pretty hilly stuff in at times. But its only 62 miles, when I got home I was very tired and my legs where painful infact they are still very stiff some 10 hours after I got here, it took me about 3 hours 30 averaging about 17.3 mph, I was slower than normally be on hills too.

The reason I worry my fitness is going backwards is because previous to this rides I have been doing regular club rides in York that where 140-160 miles through the dales and hilly, and yes I was tired and my legs ached at the end but not as bad as today?

I moved to Manchester for college/Uni and I have been there about 2 weeks now, in that 2 weeks the longest ride I proberbly have done is about 20 miles and very slow, in normal clothes and was just really exploring, but now I have my GPS and its guiding me fine, so I can start riding properly again as I wont get lost.

Over the 2 weeks, due to me been an inexperienced student when it comes to cooking I have been eating mostly cereal, pasta, soup and the odd tin of beans and sometimes curry, so maybe my diet is letting me down?

I'd like some help as I'm really dissapointed with my fitness, today the 62 miles where a real dissapointment for me, great route, but I was not managing it as well as I could have.

What do I need to focus on?

getting back to riding regular?
diet?

Any help would be great!

Thanks.
Will.

Comments

• Sometimes you just have bad days regarding lack of energy. But as for painful legs bad riding position possibly seat is too low or too high. Keep your cadance up rather than using low gears.

Also either warming up or doing a first few miles at a slower pace helps.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sometimes you just have bad days regarding lack of energy. But as for painful legs bad riding position possibly seat is too low or too high. Keep your cadance up rather than using low gears.

Also either warming up or doing a first few miles at a slower pace helps.

I am pretty sure the riding position is fine, I meant my legs where painful when I got home, like lactic acid build up? Just they are never usually as bad.

I dont know if it was just a bad day, the weekend 2 weeks ago I did 141 miles on 2 and a half hours of sleep and I felt similar, but I got like 5 hours sleep today so it cant be the sleep thats causing it surely.
  • Did you sell off that road bike that was too small for a bigger framed bike? I remember you posting on overclockers forum. That would certainly give leg pains riding a small frame.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    You're obviously not recovering enough, you need to eat a lot more, get a lot more sleep and take a bit more time off the bike.

Recovery is as important as the training itself, without it you won't progress as much as you should.

If you can ride 160 miles, then your position must be pretty good.
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Are you comparing your performance in group rides with your performance alone by any chance?

If so you shouldn't be disheartened by feeling more tired or sticking a lower pace overall given you haven't got the shelter of a group and it's momentum dragging you along
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*