shock

Phekdra
Phekdra Posts: 137
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
Reading all the glum news about accidents and fatalities lately I've been glad than my daily commute winds mostly through the countryside and not through central London. Then on the way home this evening I was somewhat shocked out of my complacency.

Riding downhill towards a two-lane roundabout in the left lane to go straight on when a white van (sorry to stereotype, but it was) slowly made its way past in the outside lane, then cut straight across my lane onto the roundabout, nearly taking me out, weaved back into the outside lane and then, for an encore, cut back into my lane just in front of me, forcing me to brake. :shock: I was so stunned by the first manoeuvre and how close I came to being knocked off that I screamed my opinion of him loud enough to make myself hoarse. I'm still slightly shaken by it - we were both going quite quickly, and I'm not a stranger to cars and lorries overtaking at speed with inches to spare.

I've been trying to get my head round it all evening - surely he must have seen me, and even if he hadn't, what was he doing cutting right across the inside lane to get on to the roundabout? :? Well, at least my new Ay-up lights have come so I shall have some fun with those on Sunday morning!

Phekdra

Comments

• Hark at him! He'll be having a go at minicab drivers next. :shock:

Sounds like a mobile phone incident to me. Doesn't sound like you were complacent though, sounds like you have managed the situation pretty well. (Although you need to practice shouting a bit more).
  • Phekdra
    Sounds like a mobile phone incident to me. Doesn't sound like you were complacent though, sounds like you have managed the situation pretty well. (Although you need to practice shouting a bit more).

I was boiling up at the time and I really hope the driver heard me, although sadly I doubt it. There'd have been additional hand signals too but I thought it better to keep out of harm's way, considering two near misses in a matter of seconds... roundabouts aren't the best place to practise obscene gestures. 8)

Phekdra
  • Totally. The best way to tackle a large roundabout is as quickly as possible in a state of heightened anxiety.
  • Phekdra
    Totally. The best way to tackle a large roundabout is as quickly as possible in a state of heightened anxiety.

I might have to use that quote in conversation and claim it as my own. :D

Phekdra