Really confused and could do with some advice!

trevtherev
trevtherev Posts: 372
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
I am after a second bike and will get on "cycle to work" gov scheme but I am really confused about what bike to choose. Back when I was a kid the only seemed to be one bike manufacturer and they came from Nottingham and went by the name of Raleigh...but now the choice is just overwhelming. So here's my brief and some advice would be greatly welcomed even though this question is asked many times on this forum.

I use my bike (present model genesis day 0) to commute Mond-Fri and this is around 15-20miles each day. The bike is so important to me as it helps me prepare for half marathons and at the grand old age of 52 the bike takes so much strain of my joints so has graeat aerobic effect keeping me in shape for running half marathons at my local club Bitton Road Runners. So I don't want an out and out racing bike rather a winter/summer bike that will have mudguard clearance, will of course be fast but equally important confortable ( so would prefer to avoid skinny racing tyres of possible) Carbon post would be nice and shimano 105 gset as I feel this would be much more reliable/efficient than my genesis. I recently thought that the Kenesis Racelight tk might be a good choice (hence my recent post on this) but now I don't know as I have so many other reviews in mags and on the internet. What I really want to do is limit my choices down to 3 bikes and then search out a friendly dealer who will hopefully let me try before I buy (but prob not from him!)

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevtherev ... 338579801/
www.runningfree.co.uk

Comments

• fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    Why dont you just go to your LBS and see what they have in stock ? and have a sit on some bikes and have a look around.

tis the curse of the internet you can read to much stuff and it just confuses you and makes it harder. IMHO its much easier to work out what you want and what you like when you've got the hardware in front of you.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Look a t the planet X website. I think there Kaffenbach would meet your requirements or maybe their Uncle John Cross bike - you can get either with drops or flat bars, wider tyres (28mm I think) and a variety of groupsets including 105. They have good brakes too. They'd make good commuters / trainers.

The Ribble Winter Trainer would be worth looking at (and even cheaper) if you wanted a more taditional road bike with skinny (23mm) tyres.

All of the above represent excellent value but I would still look at your local bike shops too. A Kaffenbach with 105 would be my top pick though.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    specialized tricross sport ?

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.SPECIALIZED-Tri ... _13089.htm

Fits what you need in the fact :
    Has mudguard clearance / fast and comfortable..comes with 32mm tyres but can take skinny tyres,carbon post as you can see its not an out and road bike

I use mine for my commute (9 miles each way) and weekend jaunts.Its very comfortable, has inserts in the forks that soak up the imperfections on the road. Ive got 25mm tyres on mine and its superb.

Im also a runner and used to like (before my injury) nothing better than combining a long ride with a decent run straight afterwards.
  • fizz wrote:
    Why dont you just go to your LBS and see what they have in stock ? and have a sit on some bikes and have a look around.

tis the curse of the internet you can read to much stuff and it just confuses you and makes it harder. IMHO its much easier to work out what you want and what you like when you've got the hardware in front of you.

I agree 100% with that suggestion. Even going to 3 local shops is easier than deciding what to buy on the internet.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    passout wrote:
    Look a t the planet X website. I think there Kaffenbach would meet your requirements or maybe their Uncle John Cross bike - you can get either with drops or flat bars, wider tyres (28mm I think) and a variety of groupsets including 105. They have good brakes too. They'd make good commuters / trainers.

The Ribble Winter Trainer would be worth looking at (and even cheaper) if you wanted a more taditional road bike with skinny (23mm) tyres.

All of the above represent excellent value but I would still look at your local bike shops too. A Kaffenbach with 105 would be my top pick though.

These are good suggestions but unfortunately (this very week) Cyclescheme have decided that Planet-X have a "system incompatibility" and will no longer deal with them. If your C2W scheme is not using Cyclescheme then they still may be an option.

Ribble do Cyclescheme but when I phoned them they were evasive and unhelpful, and they also charge a £50 surcharge on the scheme.

If you live near Bitton then go to John's Bikes in Bath (an excellent shop who will see you right), they have Trek 1 series bikes (1.2, 1.5 etc) that are comfy and take mudguards, or go to Total Fitness who do Specialized Tricross or Allez ranges which may also be suitable.
  • Thanks guys for all the great suggestions, I have found over the years that using this forum has been a great source of information not to mention inspiration. I'll let you know what and when I purhcase.....but I'm going to start at my LBS as over the last few few years they have been unbelievable amount of help to me....only last week I bought my genesis in with a problem, arriving at 5.29pm! but they took it in and checked it over and did not even charge me. So lets see it's 9.12 am they should just be open.......

www.runningfree.co.uk
  • alfablue
    trevtherev wrote:
    Thanks guys for all the great suggestions, I have found over the years that using this forum has been a great source of information not to mention inspiration. I'll let you know what and when I purhcase.....but I'm going to start at my LBS as over the last few few years they have been unbelievable amount of help to me....only last week I bought my genesis in with a problem, arriving at 5.29pm! but they took it in and checked it over and did not even charge me. So lets see it's 9.12 am they should just be open.......
    What LBS was that? Webbs? Name them and praise them!
  • alfablue
    If it is Webbs I think they stock Orbea, who do a nice lightweight drop bar tourer for around £900. It is unlikely that there will be one in the shop but probably they can get one.
  • alfablue wrote:
    If it is Webbs I think they stock Orbea, who do a nice lightweight drop bar tourer for around £900. It is unlikely that there will be one in the shop but probably they can get one.

John Woods in Hanham although I cycle pass Webbs every evening and the guys who run Webbs now are well connected with both cyclists and runners.....much better than when old grumpy Mr Webb :cry: the original son of the original proprieter, who set behind that counter with his little old lady for years and years dispensing words of wisdom and advice to the enthusiastic cyclists entering his domain. I'm not sure he sold much ( I remember once going in with 2 very bald tyres....and he talked me out of buying new ones....what a businessman....) ah but I diverse :D

www.runningfree.co.uk
  • alfablue
    Yes, I have been in the "new" Webbs a couple of times and I found the owner pleasant and knowledgeable.