Should this have happened?

hipjazzcat
hipjazzcat Posts: 42
edited September 2008 in MTB general
Yesterday after months of anticipation i drove almost 2 hours to a not so local bike shop that had a 21.5 Trek Fuel Ex8 2009 model. Purchased it, :lol: drove the 2 hour plus return journey (rush hour) all the while thinking that bike shop isnt real local for a return service.

Spent the morning tinkering with the set up, suspension sag etc. Jump on, go for my first ride. Made it almost 500 metres when i thought hmm those gear changes are a bit rough. Next thing- chain snaps :cry: , rear wheel locks and i almost get taken out by the only car on the road.

Upon inspection noticed the chain was drier than a dry thing but otherwise could see no reason why that should have happened. So now i either drive the mega drive back to the shop that shall remain nameless, give them a blast and hope they fix it properly. Or should i take it to my local bike shop get them to fix it and then send the bill to the original plum who built it up?

Im so pissed off its spectacular. Had friends coming over on the weekend for a ride and was well keen to show off the new bike.The whole experience has left me a little dark to be honest. Any suggestions.

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    original shop...pity about the long drive though...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Phone them and talk to them. The bike shop I bought my bike from in Cardiff were happy for my bike to be repaired locally with in the warranty and to bill them for it, obviously within reason. I live a couple of hours drive from Cardiff.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You'd expect it tp be set up from new, but it is still your duty to check it before you set off, oil the chain etc. If the gear changes wererough, should have stopped and tinkered with them.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Chains snap, not usual in a new chain but can happen (I had a £45 chain snap on it's 3rd outing due to me putting undue pressure on it in a bad gear combination). Might have been a stiff link or as you say may have been poor indexing on the gears.

Chain being dry shouldn't really have caused it to snap.

If I was in your shoes I'd buy a new chain and sort the indexing out. If you're not happy doing that yourself I'd take it to your local bike shop and get them to put on a replacement chain of the same type and ask them to set up the indexing. It shouldn't cost more than £ 30 which wll probably cheaper than the petrol. If anything else fails later keep quiet about the chain and take it back to the original shop for repairs.

This highlights the benefit of buying local if possible, obviously buying local is outweighed by a good discount but you have to factor in warranties when deciding if the discount is worth it.

Indexing and chain reaplacement is something you would have to sort at some point in the future and whilst it should have been right from the shop it's not like the frame has snapped or a wheel collapsed.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Personally I'd go back to the original shop, cause it was you who chose to go there... not really fair to get the maintenance done somewhere else & bill them for it... that's what they pay their staff for. Give them a chance to rectify it before getting mad...
  • Id say call them see what they are willing to do or do it yourself if you can. its not a big job.
    I didnt do it! I found it broken, honest!
  • Yeti575
    Yeti575 Posts: 291
    Speak to the original shop and get them to post out a new chain and fit it yourself. If you go striaght to another shop and send the bill I'd hazard a guess that you'll get short shrift from them!
    If it's not a Yeti, it's not worth riding!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting you tried billing the original shop if you get your LBS to do it. My take is that it was your decision to purchase a long way fromn home (whether that was for a good discount or because that was the only model / size you could find), what's gone wrong is annoying but not really worth the hassle of doing a 400 mile round trip IMO, so if it was me I'd just sort it and chalk it up to experience.

However if anything else more serious fails then I'd seriously consider taking it back.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Personally id take it as put a better chain on like a kmc 9sl in gold. ;)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Same thing happened to me and you probaly need a new rear mech has thats mashed into the wheel.

What I did was take it back to Orange and Basically they didnt set it up
    right when they put your bike together.

That was Leisure Lakes in Bury, Good sales and advise but real Crap sh it mechanic.

Take it back and ask for yor money back or accept replace parts.

Dont forget mension youre Statoury rights too, has if the thing you purchase does not
    do what you expected it to and purchaesd reasons for get your money back
    and buy it somewhere else.