bike theft

twofourfour
twofourfour Posts: 2
edited September 2008 in The bottom bracket
Hey chaps,

I'm a student at Glasgow School of art and for our year project we've been asked to design something to reduce the risk of bike theft.

Carrying on from the already useful thread by ROBBARKER i'd be interested to know what you currently use to secure your bikes and how successful you think this is?

Also the guy who lives down the road from me chains his bike to the railings upside down, any one else do this and does it offer any advantages? i'll need to ask him next time i see him

Thanks

Comments

• upside down makes it easier to remove wheels!

Alarm systems seem to be the best way to deter people
  • A sticker on your bike saying
    'If you touch my bike I'll hunt you down and break your nasty pikey skull open'
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • Hey chaps,

I'm a student at Glasgow School of art and for our year project we've been asked to design something to reduce the risk of bike theft.

Carrying on from the already useful thread by ROBBARKER i'd be interested to know what you currently use to secure your bikes and how successful you think this is?

Also the guy who lives down the road from me chains his bike to the railings upside down, any one else do this and does it offer any advantages? i'll need to ask him next time i see him

Thanks

244 - Not sure about the whole upside down strategy - just gives you a chance to get dog poo on your saddle.
    I prefer:
    An Arbus rope type locked around a solid object, Nelson's Column etc etc.
    In bike racks I look to lock mine near a more desirable, newer looking bike.
    I never leave it for longer than 10mins.

Still - I've had two bikes stolen - never to to be seen again. The police simply couldn't give a toss. Therein lies the problem.

Good luck with your project.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I'd say wiring to the mains would do it, the average thief cannot handle 240V AC Current.

Unfortunately I have to lock my bike up on the street outside work where I cannot see it, so mains power isn't an option, as a result I use the strategy of applying enough locks to discourage theft, namely a lock front wheel and frame and rear wheel and frame onto steel railings.

Didn't stop some f*cker from snapping off a dynamo powered rear light of mine last week though. Why I don't know as its totally useless without a 6V power supply, I guess some sh*thead around thought it would be fun.

For such people were tasers invented.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • The best thing is a decent bike locker, preferably somewhere secure. Jusdt being out of scrote-sight makes a huge difference.

The next best is a bike that doesn't look worth the effort with a state-of-the-art lock, preferably locked to something solid and in clear public view.
  • Get the biggest motherfu@cking Rottweiler (or 2 bast@ard terriers) you can find, spread some foamy toothpaste around his/her mouth and chain it up next to your shiny new bike.

Nobody's touching that bike :)
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    what about an attended cloakroom thing where you hand in your bicycle and get a ticket then you get your bike back when you hand your ticket back. I have often thought that you could easily rig up a large artic lorry that could be parked in a particular designated spot outside football grounds (and other large events) - it could operate the cloakroom style ticket and you could then have large numbers of people cycling to football grounds so alleviating much traffic congestion. Of course you 'd have to have the lorries well regulated or some enterprising tea leaf could nick a 1000 bikes in one go :lol:

what do you think? would it work? (copied on to other thread on bike theft)
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    edited September 2008
    "Still - I've had two bikes stolen - never to to be seen again. The police simply couldn't give a toss. Therein lies the problem. " A_HACKER

Wake up, you bigot.

What about the 100's of pedestrians on our streets? They never seem to see/stop much. The reality is there is no easy way to stop a thief. How many Police do you need to watch every lampost?

If you can't come up with an answer, then then don't blame someone else. If you were a cop, what would YOU realistically do along with all the other nasty, criminal stuff happening every single minute. Be everywhere at once? Just like drug dealers, these little sh£ts spawn again within 5 minutes of an arrest.

Please can we start blaming the THIEVES and the buyers. Far too many of us would go for a bargain set of wheels down the pub.

Stop whinging about things and make some suggestions! The lorry one is fine for all those places you see 50+bikes (i.e. nowhere regular). Reality is we want to leave bikes in different places. I'd go for more infrastructure though (city centres, major business parks).
    And cut the hands off persistant kleptos.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    boybiker wrote:
    A sticker on your bike saying
    'If you touch my bike I'll hunt you down and break your nasty pikey skull open'

Where can I get one !!!!

Seriously.... 10lbs chain and a heavy D-Lock - both Gold Rated !
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    fossyant wrote:
    [

Seriously.... 10lbs chain and a heavy D-Lock - both Gold Rated !

If a thief wants it he will have - probably in less than 2 minutes even with your gold ratings :evil: utube shows the top rated motorcycle chains lasting about 30 seconds agaist big bolt cutters and the D-lock would last about the same against a big angle grinder :(
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • how about full or part funding as an incentive for employers to provide secure storage lockers? mine have been looking into this for us ..they seem willing to pay for it themselves (final decision dependent on cost and placement) but if there was a safe cycle lock up scheme that would cover some of the cost i think i'd get them to make the descision quicker.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Actually I'll have a fairly secure cycle lockup, and a shower, at work pretty soon. Be the first time I've ever had that! Might be worth staying in a crappy job for.

Mind you we were supposed to be in the new office in March?

Don't get how this particular builder has work on that doing some is a problem, but then again he's also a client of ours so there is llimited pressure we can apply.....
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....