Bang on at Boris!

Littigator
Littigator Posts: 1,262
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
After the awful events of the last week or so a number of people mentioned about writing to Boris in protest at the treatment of cyclists or lack of safety or for a number of other reasons.

So to all that mentioned this, have you done it yet?

No?....tsk tsk, here's the address. mayor@london.gov.uk

And I cc'd the CTC as well - cycling@ctc.org.uk

Now please take just a minute or two to add your personal view on the issue. Apparently personally worded notes/letters/emails have far greater impact than simply circulating a cut and paste one or signing a petiton.

Thanks

Jamie
Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6

Comments

• Dear Boris,
    I find that your lack of support and funding for cycling facilities in Scotland's capital has been shameful since your unsuccessful campaign to be rector of Edinburgh University. Although cycling accidents only occur in London, it can only be a matter of time before people in third world countries take up cycling and experience similar difficulties and therefore your shortsightedness is unforgiveable.
    Sincerely, for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office of Eastern Scotiabad,
    Always Tyred.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Don't get me started on the Scots....
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    dondare wrote:

No, go on - it'll be a good way to lighten up following the events of this week!
    Steve C
  • sc999cs wrote:
    dondare wrote:

No, go on - it'll be a good way to lighten up following the events of this week!

Its getting the Scots started on you that you need to avoid.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    sc999cs wrote:
    dondare wrote:
    We could just build some sort of wall, like what they used to have in Berlin...
  • I reckon somewhere from about Wallsend to the Solway Firth would be about the right place.
  • Maybe what's needed is full independence....

For Westminster :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • From Europe, the UK, or reality? (If its the last one, they already have it)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Could we have independence of the rest of britain from London? it seems all our problems stem from our esteemed capital...<<gets on bike and pedals madly out of city>>

:twisted:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I think we should go back to the old Norman borders and take back Scotland south of Edinburgh! :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Littigator
    SecretSam wrote:
    Could we have independence of the rest of britain from London? it seems all our problems stem from our esteemed capital...<<gets on bike and pedals madly out of city>>

:twisted:

Feel free to have as much independence from the national bank account of London as you wish poor northerner and whilst we Londoners fund GBs!!! Olympics Games please enjoy your local facilities mostly funded by Central Government!

• Given that most people don't live there, arguably London benefits far more from the provinces, due to various centralisations, than the provinces to from London.

Indeed, if you take the provincial contribution from the Lottery out of the OG funding, how much do you think would be left....?
  • I think we should go back to the old Norman borders and take back Scotland south of Edinburgh! :D

Why do you want to go back to being part of France?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Dear Boris,
    I find that your lack of support and funding for cycling facilities in Scotland's capital has been shameful since your unsuccessful campaign to be rector of Edinburgh University. Although cycling accidents only occur in London, it can only be a matter of time before people in third world countries take up cycling and experience similar difficulties and therefore your shortsightedness is unforgiveable.
    Sincerely, for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office of Eastern Scotiabad,
    Always Tyred.

But what about the chap who was killed right here in embra (Newington Road...HGV....Barrier between road and pavement....familiar huh?) earlier in the ye....oh wait...you were being funny weren't you?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    oh....and I am all for blocking you southerners (and i include yorkshiremen in that statement!) out and charging loads of cash to come up here and marvel at the gloriousness that is riding in scotland! You don't get to ride the trails, but you can watch from a safe distance!

Ach f*ckit....yer aw welcome s'long as you bring benedictine tonic.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Littigator
    Given that most people don't live there, arguably London benefits far more from the provinces, due to various centralisations, than the provinces to from London.

Indeed, if you take the provincial contribution from the Lottery out of the OG funding, how much do you think would be left....?

There is no argument, sorry AT, London creates more wealth for the country (daytime population 14 million i.e. almost 25% of the population) than Northern England Scotland and Wales put together.

And as for the Lottery, I could buy multiple tickets per week for the amount my council tax is going to increase to fund 2012, ironically I am still a huge supporter for it but i just would like the personal contribution each London tax payer is making for the benefit of all UK Olympics supporters acknowledged.

• However, please restrict your visits to August.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Think how I feel stuck out here in Shropshire - too far south to be a northerner, too far north to be a southerner, too near Wales to be a Midlander, too in England to be part of Wales. Plus I'm Scots by birth, but have lived in England all my life so don't count as Scottish to people in Scotland, and don't count as English to people in England...

Just glad I'm a cyclist. :D
    Steve C
  • Littigator wrote:
    Given that most people don't live there, arguably London benefits far more from the provinces, due to various centralisations, than the provinces to from London.

There is no argument, sorry AT, London creates more wealth for the country (daytime population 14 million i.e. almost 25% of the population) than Northern England Scotland and Wales put together.

And as for the Lottery, I could buy multiple tickets per week for the amount my council tax is going to increase to fund 2012, ironically I am still a huge supporter for it but i just would like the personal contribution each London tax payer is making for the benefit of all UK Olympics supporters acknowledged.

It might be an out of date statistic, but I believe that Edinburgh has more millionaires per capita than London. Its an ancient banking centre (until last week that is). Visit the centre of Glasgow and you'll see massess of opulent architecture. Its a little oasis in a bit of a wasteland now, but you only have to go back a few decades and it was the shipbuilding capital of the world. I'm sure Liverpool has similar claims to its industry, or Sheffield or Bradford. If you took "the city" out of London, not sure it would be quite so great. You know, the way things are changing, that might just happen - its not been there long in relative terms, and there's not a great deal keeping it there.

Tell you what, to offset your concil tax, if we find any oil under the sea up here, England can have most of the revenue for the Olympics. How's that?

One visit to one event at the Olympics would cost me about 3 months' council tax - explain in simple terms why people living 400 miles away should foot the bill for the London Olympics over and above what is already coming out of the common taxpayer's pot? Tell me how much you are paying to the Glasgow Commonwealth Games - did you even realise they had one in 2014? How much of your council tax went to the Manchester games?

(Btw - I'm English and I grew up in the SE - so I'm not some fervent nationalist, I've just taken a 400 mile step back - having taken a 5000 mile step back from the entire UK prior to that. London's great - don't like it other than to visit myself - but Londoners are only rivalled by New Yorkers in their lofty opinion of where they live, in my experience.)
  • RACIST RACIST RACIST
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • dondare
    Why do all the people who post helmetcam stuff on utube have Scots accents?
  • That's a tough one. Are you sure you just haven't been watching all the videos posted by one person?
  • dondare
    That's a tough one. Are you sure you just haven't been watching all the videos posted by one person?

Could be, if he posts under different names and gets around a bit.

What's the thing with woks, btw?
  • dondare wrote:
    That's a tough one. Are you sure you just haven't been watching all the videos posted by one person?

Could be, if he posts under different names and gets around a bit.

What's the thing with woks, btw?
    I don't understand the question.
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    sc999cs wrote:
    dondare wrote:
    We could just build some sort of wall, like what they used to have in Berlin...
    Yeah, Hadrian had a shot at something like that, didn't he?

Mind you, we all know that Offa built his dyke to keep the heathens out of Wales...
    (Don't worry sc99cs, we'll leave a door so you can come in ;))
  • This thread is seriously off topic.

Well - the NORMANS weren't part of France per se... and not long after the Norman invasion (2 kings) the English King held sway over 90% of France. So yeah. go for it :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • overmars wrote:
    This thread is seriously off topic.

of course it is, you don't expect Boris to do anything serious about transport do you? Afterall, his sum achievements to date are to scrap the proposed £25 CO2 charge, prepare the dismantling of the Western C-Charge Extention and pay Porsche £400,000 in ex gratia legal fees :?

Well - the NORMANS weren't part of France per se... and not long after the Norman invasion (2 kings) the English King held sway over 90% of France. So yeah. go for it :wink:

What have the Normans ever given us?

Apart from the wine.... and soft cheese...

• What have the Normans ever given us?

Apart from the wine.... and soft cheese...

rabbits? the New Forest? The Tower of London?

Let's not knock the Normans. Had the Tostig and Hardrada invasion been a success our captial city would have been York and we would of all been cryto-Norwegians. And have any of you actually tried lutefisk ? :shock: