Skewer Recommendations

wjws
wjws Posts: 140
edited September 2008 in Workshop
I have just received my new wheels - Open Pros on PMP hubs built by Paul Hewitt. They arrived without skewers....

Does anyone have any opinions about the various skewers on the market, or are they all much of a muchness?

Comments

• a2z ultralight in several colours from probikekit 72 gms for the pair and only £17.99. Nice oversized look. (have em on two of my bikes)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I like top quality skewers. I use Dura-Ace. Very well built, strong as any on the market,
    and I trust them. Worth the money. Personally, I wouldn't even consider using cheap ones
    or any of those weight weenie things. Give me something I know is good and that I can count on.

Dennis Noward
  • ive raced on the a2z ones all year and im over 16 stone (now was nearly 20) if they were gonna pop they would have done it my friend!
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    KCNC ones. Bit more expensive than the a2z, but a lot lighter, and crucially they actually work really well (better than the vast majority of rather heavier skewers). They're good enough that I'd consider using them on an MTB (where the forces involved are a lot more than on a road bike).

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/cc/catalog/ind ... 888044f16b
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    for QRs then Shimano every time

for allen ones, I use Control Tech ti but they're difficult to find these days.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    maddog 2 wrote:
    for QRs then Shimano every time

for allen ones, I use Control Tech ti but they're difficult to find these days.

I like your "facts are meaningless...." quote.

Dennis Noward
  • maddog 2
    the genius that is Mr. Simpson 8)
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    the genius that is Mr. Simpson 8)

Timeless.

"You'll have to speak up i'm wearing a towel."
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • wjws wrote:
    I have just received my new wheels - Open Pros on PMP hubs built by Paul Hewitt. They arrived without skewers....

Does anyone have any opinions about the various skewers on the market, or are they all much of a muchness?

Hope are good, though they're made for 135mm OLN off-road hubs, so you do get a little bit of thread poking out on the rear one when used for road bikes.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Any skewer that has a selection of barbecued meats :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • SDP
    SDP Posts: 665
    hope or KCNC ..
  • I think my favourite skewers are by mavic... but the good ones, like these:

31k7M1CZnJL._SL160_AA160_.jpg
  • maddog 2
    Hope are not a patch on Shimano.