Stupid question of the Day -- Road Camber / Gearing

polemann
polemann Posts: 49
edited September 2008 in Workshop
So about two weekes ago I purchased a new road bike, bloody light and very fast, however I keep thinking while riding that there's something slowing me down - apart from ability.

When riding i keep getting the sensation that something is rubbing but nothing is.I've been trying to think what it could be and have been narrowing down the options and here's the last two i can think of -- do these sound obsurd?

1. The tires on my bike, now at 120psi after being 110psi for thefirst 10 days, are working lovely when the surface i am rising on is flat but when the road has a significat camber I am not riding on the ridge therefore there's more friction -- hence slowing me down.

2. When I'm riding on the front cog (50) and towards the top of the rear cog the chain is at such an angle that itsrunning slower because the chain is being stretched......

I know these sound stupid..... but I really confused

Comments

• How much time are you spending on bits of road with a significant camber!?

Although its not a good idea to cross the chain from big cog to big cog, its not going to actually slow you down much.

Maybe you're just not as fit as you think you are!?
  • Maybe you're just not as fit as you think you are!?

True I definately not..... its actually during the middle of a ride rather than the end.

Its only 10 miles commuting but the middle bit it on the road with the camber.....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Check your brakes arent rubbing ? Is there any side to side movement in the wheels ? Maybe back the calipers off a bit.

I think its probably in your mind, but some road surfaces are heavier than others. The newly gravelled roads are a swine compared to the lovely flat tarmac that you get on other stretches.
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    Very smooth stretches of road are noticeably faster than bumpy stretches. If your tyre pressure are too high you will bump off any imperfections rather than riding over them and this slows you down slightly. 120 psi seems a bit high for commuting, would 100 psi be adequate? I only use 90 psi, but I don't commute and only weigh about 65 kgs.
  • I had this feeling today. I put it down to the 2" of fat that has spontaneously accumulated around my mid section after turning 30. :(