Fine-tuning brakes on drop-bar bikes ???

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited September 2008 in The workshop
This is another one of those embarassing stupid questions, but here goes...

I've just got my first drop-bar bike and I ave no idea how to fine-tune the brakes. On my old hybrid there was a barrel adjuster on the brake lever assembly thing that you used to fine-tune the tension but on my new bike (STI levers) there is nothing.

I've just been adjusting them at the brake itself. Is there a better way to do it?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Calliper only with road STIs.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • You talking about the side to side position of the brakes wrt the wheel, how tight the calipers are to the wheel in total, or how hard you have to squeeze?

The last one is non-adjustable. There's a grub screw for the second (although you can just pull them straight usually) and there is a barrel adjuster on the brakes only for the first.
  • Jamey
    You talking about the side to side position of the brakes wrt the wheel, how tight the calipers are to the wheel in total, or how hard you have to squeeze?.

Aren't the second and third things the same?

I'm talking about how close the pads are to the rim, which in turn relates to how hard you have to squeeze.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Rightyo

Still as a newbie to brakes, but I'm hoping ITB will correct me on this if I'm wrong, it is as follows:- (and I'm going from memory here so no heckling me)

1. There is a barrel aduster at the connection between your cable and your brake mech arm (cable side), which will adjust cable tension.

2. There is an alan key adjuster on the TOP (v small size) of the brake arm oppo to your cable side arm. Adjusting this will adjust your overall arm/pad proximity to the rims.

3. There is an alan key adjuster on the FRONT (medium/small size) of the brake arm oppo to the cable arm. This will adjust the left/right alignment of the two arms in proximity to the rims.

Have a play around with the above three and you'll get there in the end :wink:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Jamey,

Didn't you get a Tricross Sport? I have one too and it does appear that there is no barrel adjuster.

I'd be more than happy to be corrected on this - it's just that I was looking in vain for it the other day, took it round to friends who are experience in fixing bikes and they couldn't find the barrel either.
  • Jamey
    Yes, I have a Tricross Sport which has V-brakes and Tiagra STI levers/shifters.

I've looked all over the brake arms, levers and everywhere else I can think and cannot find a barrel adjuster anywhere.