How many people in and around norwich?!

cheungs13
cheungs13 Posts: 8
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
Just a random thread, post if your in or around norwich. I've read a quite few posts of people who seem to be around the norwich area. I rarely see anyone on my commute to work!

Comments

• I'm in Norwich.

Current commute takes me up Aylsham road to The Boundary then around the ringroad to the top of Unthank and down to Chapelfield.

I could of course go a much quicker route but I'm cycling in to improve fitness :)
  • chaley
    chaley Posts: 100
    I'm in Norwich.

Current commute takes me up Aylsham road to The Boundary then around the ringroad to the top of Unthank and down to Chapelfield.

I could of course go a much quicker route but I'm cycling in to improve fitness :)

That's not the top of the unthank that's only 3/4 of the way up :wink: I start at the top of the unthank, and if I'm late most days :shock: left at the lilly and on up to waterworks road and on machine mart, about 2.5 miles and 7 minutes door to door. If I'm in no real rush round to newmarket road, round the inner ring road up to oak street and round the back. On the way back I have to go up grapes hill at least twice a week, if it's been a bad day up to the top round the roundabout down again to the roundabout and back up, repeat until you feel better and can go home happy and calm or too knackered to care :)
    Chaley
    2009 langster

Blasphemy is the only victimless crime
  • chaley wrote:
    I'm in Norwich.

That's not the top of the unthank that's only 3/4 of the way up :wink: I start at the top of the unthank, and if I'm late most days :shock: left at the lilly and on up to waterworks road and on machine mart, about 2.5 miles and 7 minutes door to door. If I'm in no real rush round to newmarket road, round the inner ring road up to oak street and round the back. On the way back I have to go up grapes hill at least twice a week, if it's been a bad day up to the top round the roundabout down again to the roundabout and back up, repeat until you feel better and can go home happy and calm or too knackered to care :)
    Chaley

If I'm running late for work I go up grapes hill, cuts my commute down to a mile and a half. Killed me when I first started cycling though!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Stacks of riders along the Thorpe Rd/Yarmouth Rd going in both directions. There is not much in the way of alternatives so you have to share this orbital route with buses, trucks etc.
    How many riders in Norwich feel the need to ride along Chapelfield Rd, the dual-carriageway, inner ring road racetrack? I can think of any number of quicker, quieter, safer alternatives.
    Grapes Hill is another nasty road that can be avoided by using the parallel small Wellington Lane then diving under the subway to west pottergate, Earlham Rd, Park Lane..
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I thought everyone in this forum was from London. :wink:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I was born and bred in Norwich :D

left there 22 years ago, but try and go back once a year, as love the place, and miss it loads.

Beautiful city, nice people (I think) and great pubs and buildings in general.

Can spend hours walking around the city and the surrounding streets.

Forum is a lovely new building.

Chapelfield mall could be anywhere, but the Castle mall is done pretty well, in that you can barely see it.

I'm jealous of all of you who live there still!

Out of interest, are you born and bred there, or have you moved there?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    gabriel959 wrote:

Wash your mouth out. WORKING in London does not mean one is from there.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • chaley
    chaley Posts: 100
    Michael, you have to love chapelfield road, I used to have to ride at rush 59 minutes ( it's norfolk so it's not a full hour :lol: ) everyday and it wakes you up and gets the mind ready for work! Even when the road is sort of clearish and the boys are out in their racing hatches it's not that bad, they tend to let you go where you like as they love the opportunity to change lanes and lay on the horn :lol:
    Daniel, I'm not local, moved up from Farnham, surrey about 3years ago when the wife got a job here, best thing I have ever done other than marrying Liz of course :wink: I don't miss the 60 mile round the 25 trip to work 1 bit.
    Chaley
    2009 langster

Blasphemy is the only victimless crime
  • Oi be in Naarfock too, well almost, right on the border with Saarfock :D
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • I moved here 10 years ago from Northumberland to go to UEA and just never went back.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    gabriel959 wrote:

Proof that no one knows where Shropshire is. :(
    Steve C
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    chaley wrote:
    Daniel, I'm not local, moved up from Farnham, surrey about 3years ago when the wife got a job here, best thing I have ever done other than marrying Liz of course :wink: I don't miss the 60 mile round the 25 trip to work 1 bit.
    Chaley

Nice one!

We moved (With my parents) from Norwich to Staines in 87, so not a million miles from Farnham.

From there to Wembley, then to Luton, and finally and currently to the county of Berkshire - still not as nice as Norwich though :wink:

What are your favourite drinking establishments and restaurants?

My fave pubs are: The Walnut Tree Shades, The Adam and Eve
    Fave restaurants are: Trattoria Rustica on Princes Street (Though it was shut in August)
    Upstairs of the Walnut Tree Shades, change of owner since we last visited, so not quite as good, but there you go.

Talking of pubs, I think I'm going to have a beer :wink:

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    cheungs13 wrote:
    Just a random thread, post if your in or around norwich. I've read a quite few posts of people who seem to be around the norwich area. I rarely see anyone on my commute to work!

hi, yep i commute to / from norwich ,part of it up Magpie - Aylsham Rd towards the airport when i wimp and get the train/.....one piece of advice - avoid the Boundary ! -i have been out of hospital a full10 hours now** after being taken there after being run off the road o/s the pub (did post another threasd somewhere which i will update soon)) !luckily no lasting damage to me and only minor bike damage but how can it be on a junction like that that no-one sees a cyclist being run off the road in broad daylightby a muppet talking on his mobile phone who then jumpsd the red lights ? (**ok, so let's make that 2 days and 10 hours at the time of posting .. Apologies but the concept of time has become a little faded during this last week. laying on my back in hospital.). Watch for them buses on Castle Meadow too ....and likewise for me - no i don't see many / enoughcommuter cyclists

atb
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,
  • karl j
    fav. pub used to be\\\\\the the Woodcock on the aptly named Woodcock Road, but sadly it's now a new housing development (complete with it's own giant pothole out on \weston Road by the Harry (?) Watson Court junction.

Goodfor those who got a new house from the deal i guess just not so good for us prev. patrons when it got bulldozed

Evening route ,
  • :), well my commute doesn't take me into norwich, so at least I dont have much traffic/lights etc to deal with...I head from Martham along a back road past south walsham to meridian busiess park near postwick park and ride. a nice hour in in the morning and an hour back.

Went for a random ride yesterday with one of my work mates, Started at Martham, went round to wroxham, down to the Woodfordes brewery for lunch n back via A47ish...Nice Ride!

Whilst at the brewey yesterday a few roadies turned up as well. wonder if they every come on here 8)
  • karl j
    i guess you must turn off around Salhouse, Little Plumstead -ish then ? a very nice part of the world, i have to say !

And eh, the fir & feather too eh- good place !

Evening route ,