Stuck in a rut, routewise

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
If anyone reading lives relatively near me (Croydon, South London) then please recommend some decent routes/loops for weekend cycling.

I'm stuck in a bit of a rut, always tending to cycle the same loop and to make matters worse half of the loop is based on the first part of my commute, so I'm pretty sick of it.

I can only really manage about 40 miles in one outing at the moment but I'm sure there must be nicer, more enjoyable loops then I'm doing so if you're anywhere near me please give me some ideas.

Cheers.

Comments

• Join your local cycling club. :D
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Hmmm... Addiscombe looks like my local club.
  • have you had a look at the routes on bikely? or click on " routes & riding " tab on this site.

Loads of stuff on there
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • Why don't you try turning down a road you have never been down! Stuff all this planning nonsense, have an adventure! Don't forget to pack the cucumber sandwhiches and plenty of homemade ginger beer.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    +1 for joining a cycling club. Fantastic...
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    One tip I have for anybody bored with their routes is to ride them in the opposite direction to normal - they will seem surprisingly different.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    virtuoso wrote:
    Why don't you try turning down a road you have never been down! Stuff all this planning nonsense, have an adventure! Don't forget to pack the cucumber sandwhiches and plenty of homemade ginger beer.
    Drop a trail of breadcrumbs in case you get lost :lol:
    Rich
  • ColinJ
    RichA wrote:
    virtuoso wrote:
    Why don't you try turning down a road you have never been down! Stuff all this planning nonsense, have an adventure! Don't forget to pack the cucumber sandwhiches and plenty of homemade ginger beer.
    Drop a trail of breadcrumbs in case you get lost :lol:
    Or take a GPS unit like my Garmin Etrex and use its tracklog as a virtual breadcrumb trail to follow to get home.
  • What's your usual loop?
    From Croydon, head south to the North Downs, Kent, Sussex . . . you're spoiled for choice.
  • Take a turn that you don't usually take
    Cycling, it has it's ups and downs.
  • +2 for joining a cycling club. I joined Addiscombe CC 10 months ago and have never looked back. There's a few riders who have posted up routes on the club forum and during the summer people often advertise sunday rides, anything from a nice hilly 30 miler to a 150 all dayer. Come along on saturday for a chat and a ride. There's groups of all abilities that leave from Coulsden South station from approx 9.15 onwards. :D
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    virtuoso wrote:

Can Timmy the dog come?

Will George, Anne, julian & Dick be joining the ride
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • I don't know the area, but why not just buy a map and work out a new route?
  • Hey there,

I agree that taking an unknown turning can spice a route up. I've recently discovered a little loop which adds 3km onto my training loop.

I also plan routes using http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/. The elevation profile also lets you know what you're getting yourself into.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Just last night I purchased 1:25,000 OS maps for my local area. £6

Why ? Because I was out last weekend and passed lots of roads that I have never been down and don't know where they go to - even though I have lived within a 30 miles radius all my life. Also, when out with my club, we go routes that I not familar with and would love to know where I've been !!

The maps are great, you can plot hilly, flat, mixed rides. Maybe I am a nerd, but the maps where facinating, and have inspired me to get out there and have a look. But then again I maybe spoilt - I can ride 50-70 mile routes, never coming across a traffic light, a roundabout and in fabulous scenary ( when the clouds and mist lifts !)
  • ColinJ
    degsy_103 wrote:
    Just last night I purchased 1:25,000 OS maps for my local area. £6
    I used to buy 1:50,000 maps for road cycling because they cover a much larger area and don't show unnecessary detail. These days I use Memory Map software in conjunction with my Garmin Etrex GPS. I have seamless mapping for the whole UK at 1:50,000 scale.

1:25,000 maps are great for mountain biking and walking though. 1:50,000 maps sometimes don't show enough detail for those activities.
  • Agree that there is alot of detail, but that is what is fascinating. Actually had to by 2 maps to cover the area of interest.

On the routes that I regularly ride, I will now be looking for the mines/ dismantled railways/ raths/ burial stones etc that I NEVER knew where there. Not everyones cup of tea, but reckon this will add a little extra interest to ride. Mind you, still won't be stopping to admire them !