Help on chain and brakes for a newbie

michael3484
michael3484 Posts: 24
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
hi, i need these answering asap

i have 2 questions. i need to split my chain so i can remove it from my front a rear mech to go on new bike? How do i do this.

Secondly i need a mount for my disk brake clamp thing, it did screw straight onto my old forks. went into them from the rear, now has to go through a mount? some advice on what i need please?

Cheers

MW
2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    i need to split my chain so i can remove it from my front a rear mech to go on new bike? How do i do this.
    You will need a chain breaking tool £5-10 from your lbs. It can also be used to rejoin the chain. Buy the best you can afford, a cheap one may not support the plates properly when rejoining the chain.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    To rejoin the chain use a SRAM powerlink - just make sure you get the correct size (8 or 9 speed). They cost about £2 for a pair and then you can take your chain off whenever you want (for example to give it a good clean).... and yes, SRAM powerlinks work with Shimano chains.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • The chain is done, but i still need to sort the front disk brake.

It the actual mount i thi9nk. on my old forks they were bolted straight onto the back of the fork

now they go through a the mount on the back of the fork. i need to mount them on some rockshox recons? any help would be great

BTW thanks guys for the help above!

MW
  • easiest way is pictures of the brake and fork mount. and disc size
  • ok will put pics up in a bit.

i think i have solved the brake as well bit by buying the correct mount

Now the tricky bit.

I have mounted everything minus the brake. But the gears dont work how do i get the right tension on the cable for it to be in the right gear on the bars and on the right cog. Sorry thats the last question
  • DSCF4482.jpg
    DSCF4483.jpg
    DSCF4484.jpg
    DSCF4485.jpg

Piccys

Cheers

MW
  • you'll want an IS to PM (international standard to post mount) brake adaptor, with the correct offset for the rotor size.