The best thing about your commute?

linsen
linsen Posts: 1,959
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
It's Friday. The sun is shining. I know that when I leave work today (at lunchtime, it's a half day :D ), the first three miles and the last three miles are all downhill. I have legs that work and I'm feeling jolly. I've slowed global warming. And I'll shut up now.

What's the best thing about your commute?
Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome

Comments

• Aaaaaagh! I don't know where to start!

It's friday, it's one of those beautiful cool clear days that are absolutely the best for cycling, I stretched my legs this morning and also reduced the tension on my chain and one of those made my pretty much fly into work today.

But even if none of the above were the case, I still enjoy my commute enormously. It wakes me up, gets me outdoors, gets my body going, it's fun, just everything really.

Bike riding is brilliant!! :D:D
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262

BRILLIANT!!!!

brilliant.jpeg

Cycling through Battersea Park in the sunshine...can't beat it!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • The big long hill going past Harrow College where I touch 40mph every morning. TBH I even love going back up the hill in the evening!
  • Littigator wrote:

BRILLIANT!!!!

brilliant.jpeg

Cycling through Battersea Park in the sunshine...can't beat it!

:lol::lol:

That's the only thing I miss about my old Liverpool Street to Kensington commute, going through Hyde Park.

However I might be moving offices to Mayfair soon, which adds it back in again! Hurrah! :D
  • The almost deserted roads on my morning ride to the station.

Set off at 5:15am and get passed by about 20 cars on average sometimes only single figures.

Very peaceful although it was better before it got really dark
    FCN 8

Scott Speedster S30 FB hybrid
  • I have a stretch down a bridleway - when I cycle into work on a clear morning you can't beat the complete peace and quiet. The scenery is great, the surface is pretty good to cycle on. No traffic, the noisiest thing are the cows in the field. :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Going over the Forth Road Bridge when there is little wind, the sun is just peeking over the horizon and the river is like a morror. Can't beat it.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    It's above ground.
    It doesn't cost £3.50 each way.
    When I cycle regulary my arse looks fantastic, particularly in lycra shorts.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • This is wierd. I very nearly started a thread like this ealrier when I arrived at work, but got distracted. So thanks to Linsen.

I arrived at work with cold extremities, sweating, leg muscles burning, knees shot to pieces withh a huge grin on my face.

Sky looks like it will be clear when I leave, the wind will be behind me, a zig zag route home I think. Plus its the weekend. As PW says BRILLIANT!!
    FCN 8

2009 Boardman Hybrid Pro
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...the single track lanes and bridle ways on my homeward route...

...this morning was like riding in a huge real life Turner painting...great yellow orange sun and mist...took my breath away...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Matt-B
    Matt-B Posts: 112
    I especially liked this morning as I fitted my new Fulcrum Racing 5 Evo's last night and so this morning's commute was the first outing they had. The excessively loud freehub makes me feel like I'm a 'proper' cyclist, haha!
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    the best thing for me...

I commute against the flow of cyclists coming into town along an old railway line

despite the fact its often early in the morning (and i dont do mornings) I am always guaranteed a lovely smile from one of the many lady cyclists coming the other way, without fail :lol:

(or perhaps they are just laughing at me :roll: )
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    linsen wrote:
    It's Friday. The sun is shining. I know that when I leave work today (at lunchtime, it's a half day :D )/quote]

You sponging dosser! :wink:

Where do you start and where do you stop? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Getting home

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • That part of your journey when you know you've gone through the last light/jam/junction, you don't need ot unclip and you can concentrate on getting the average speed up.

Mine's at The junction of Clapham Rd and Cavendish Road, all the way inot and through Tooting Common.

Always cheers me up, that bit.
  • A track over the Pentlands.
  • A track over the Pentlands.

Nice.

Me, the smell of death as I pass the crematorium (on days that they are burning) quickly follwed by the smell of jobbies and chemicals as I pass the sewerage works. No bloody wonder I go as fast as possible, game or no game...
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • Ah, I can tell that you use the Clyde cycleway.
  • The sense of smug satisfaction i feel when the cars i passed on my way home havent moved in trafficand i'm in my nice ,warm house sh@gging my girlfriend!
  • Best bit is cycling along the Loughor Estuary with views over the sea (like a millpond this week) to North Gower whilst listening to Queens of the Stone Age, Offspring, Biffy Clyro etc etc.
    http://www.routes2ride.org.uk/wales/rou ... stal_park/
    http://www.routes2ride.org.uk/wales/rou ... bike_path/
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • Ah, I can tell that you use the Clyde cycleway.

Seafield Road...
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • linsen
    cjcp FYI....

I'm a teacher. I work part time, because I have children too. Wanna fight? :wink:
  • linsen
    cjcp,

also, if the where do I start / stop question is geographical, my commute is Southampton to Winchester and back (obviously :) )

If the question is metaphorical, I haven't a clue.... :?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    linsen wrote:
    cjcp,

also, if the where do I start / stop question is geographical, my commute is Southampton to Winchester and back (obviously :) )

If the question is metaphorical, I haven't a clue.... :?

Of course! You have the New Forest. Very nice.

Yeah, just directed at the fact that it's all good really.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Cycling over Blackheath at dusk :)
  • Sheptastic wrote:
    The sense of smug satisfaction i feel when the cars i passed on my way home havent moved in trafficand i'm in my nice ,warm house sh@gging my girlfriend!

wow are you gonna be in trouble when the wife finds out. :D
    Sorry couldn't resist.

I now share my commute, two days on the motorbike and three on the cylce.

Even when I compare the motrbike days, I love the joy of acutally feeling like I'm making progress.
    Plus there are a lot more female hotties in lycra now than 16 years ago.

Life is good.
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • Richmond Park at dawn - stunning
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    When the weather is utterly dreadful, the fact that it's only 3.8 miles.
  • the six odd mile of cycle path where I can see the traffic crawling up the m2 :D
  • Simple pleasures:

riding up my street and getting a first rasping lungful of cold air on frosty mornings, then later on through the park by Hendon FC where a bank of mist miraculously hovers about five feet above the grass.

Seeing the A406 in gridlock as I sweep past.

And anywhen I can follow a cheeky Lycra-clad backside for a couple of hundred metres.
    "Consider the grebe..."