Beginners Bike Storage Question

TimothyTimothy
TimothyTimothy Posts: 5
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
Hiya,
Just bought my first mountain bike (Commencal Combi) and I'm loving it. However I'm struggling for a storage solution. We have a very small shed which at a real push I might be able to rearrange to accommodate it, but to be honest it's far from ideal.Are bike rain covers a realistic option long term or are there risks? It's not security I'm concerned with just the condition of the bike.

Many thanks
Tim

Comments

• 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    Can you put two hooks from the roof of the shed and hang it up. That way you can also work on the bike. You can keep all your craaap below it. You may have to put a couple of pieces of timber accross the uderside of the roof to allow long enough hooks to be fitted. You can get these from B&Q for a few quid. You can then also use a chain to lock the bike up.
    If you have a half decent bike take time to secure it. sheds are very easy to get into.
  • Thanks, no certainly no room to hang it. Does anyone know if there are any problems with keeping a bike outside but covered in a rain cover. Is moisture in the air an issue?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Moisture getting in can be an issue. But if the bike is correctly oiled and greased, it will be minimised: and keep an eye on it. Don't forget security either.
  • Thanks for your advice. Security is OK, it's behind a locked gate and locked to a post. SO no less secure than if it were in the shed. I just wanted to know if it was foolish with regards to keeping the bike running well. I guess as long as it's dry maybe it's fine.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Thanks for your advice. Security is OK, it's behind a locked gate and locked to a post. SO no less secure than if it were in the shed. I just wanted to know if it was foolish with regards to keeping the bike running well. I guess as long as it's dry maybe it's fine.

except that people can see it is a bike.

and if someone wants to take it there is just about nothing you can do.

Also a tip. Lock your bike up and then see how much you can remove with a multi tool.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks, but really the question is about whether it's OK to store the bike under a rain cover outside rather than in a shed. So ignoring security for now thanks. Thanks though for your help.
  • Sidi
    Sidi Posts: 21
    I store my bike outside during the day then bring inside overnight, only thing I found so far is that the wind can get inside the cover causing the bike to fall over.
    Trek 1.7 08

Unshaved newbie roadie
  • bug-off
    bug-off Posts: 24
    i used to park my bike outside with no cover what so ever for about 2 years, did it no harm at all. Just make sure teh chain is oiled and you'll be fine.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Mine too is stored outside 247. Its under wraps (a Tyvek bike cover, but its starting to disintegrate!), and securely locked, The chain and certain bolts do get a bit of surface rust, But I just make sure the parts are well lubed.
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Thought about turning the bars round and taking the pedals off ? WIll fit behind a sofa quite easily then, stick a cover over it and no one knows its there.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Hi Tim, have you room for something like these plastic storage sheds at Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... rice+Cut=1
    Or similar from B& Q etc.You could drill secure fixings into it for locking it to.Just take the front wheel off, keep it in the house and it can't be ridden away either should anyone break into it.
  • I just got my bike today (GT Avalanche 2.0) which I am most pleased about. However, I too am struggling with storage space. Live in 3rd floor flat with no shed or storage outside actual flat. Bike currently in the hall, but Im a bit concerned gonna make a right mess and mark walls/floor and landlord will be pissed. Added to that my gf lives here part time and also has brand new bike.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
    Mzungu
  • I 've just bought a Wickes bike store, cost £125 but it's not bad quality and no leaks so far. Might seem a bit much but there's room for two bikes and ohter bits and bobs too..
  • I store my cheap kid mobile (Raleigh Spirit with child seat attached) outside. At first I used a bike cover (cheap Tesco version, £4.99) and that worked fine until it got windy. The wind would get under it and eventually it ripped at the very weak seams. I now leave it outside uncovered. I am thinking about getting an anchor point for extra security and may get another cover and a few bricks.

Anyone use an anchor point?
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • Nicklouse made a very good point. I live in a town where there is unfortunately a large amount of bike crime, mainly students bikes. It's unbeleiveable if you ride through the Uni, there are bikes with the cables stolen, or mechs stolen. Even a well locked bike, you can steal a lot of it with a set of allen keys :(

Change everything to Torx?