Tyre Levers

sc999cs
sc999cs Posts: 596
edited September 2008 in The workshop
After breaking two nylon tyre levers trying to fit some tyres with incredibly tight beads.I was thinking of getting some replacements. I considered metal ones but wouldn't these potentially damaged the rims? Any one used metal levers coated with plastic etc - you get the gist! :)
Steve C

Comments

• You aren't the guy with the rediculously tight tyre bead I helped out by the side of the road the other day are you? :o

Metal = bad, unless the bead is so loose that nylon ones would have been okay anyway.

No experience of coated ones, but I have a set of park tool ones that are considerably more robust than black nylon ones. I have contrived to bend the end of one, but they have done pretty good service and I've not damaged any rims with them!
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    You aren't the guy with the rediculously tight tyre bead I helped out by the side of the road the other day are you? :o

No :D
    Steve C
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I remember the days when you could leave home without tyre levers and just use thumbs but that was when I was on the bad side with gears and 2" tyres. Since then I saw sense and dropped 23 gears and 1/2 and inch.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.