Road deaths declining

ansbaradigeidfran
ansbaradigeidfran Posts: 526
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
The Beeb suggests that road deaths have hit new record lows. No breakdown of how many cyclists are in there, though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7635345.stm

Comments

• 136 Cycle fatalities (down from146 in 2006) , but seriously injuries UP.
    I'm surprised to see that the report says cycle traffic is DOWN 8%

See http://www.dft.gov.uk/162259/162469/221 ... gb2007.pdf

for details - extract follows
    Mike

• Pedal cycle casualties have decreased by 34 per cent from the baseline, but have remained at a similar level to 2006
    • The number of pedal cycle fatalities fell by 7 per cent from 146 in 2006 to 136 in 2007, a 27 per cent decrease from the 1994–98 average baseline.
    • However, the number of seriously injured pedal cyclists has increased by 6 per cent from 2,296 in 2006 to 2,428 in 2007.
    • Pedal cycle traffic has decreased by 8 per cent since 2006. However, the total pedal cycle casualties have remained at a similar level to 2006, which has resulted in the pedal cycle casualty rate increasing by 9 per cent from 2006. This rate is, however, 37 per cent below the baseline
  • What's a baseline in this context? Ie. what does '37% below the baseline' mean?
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I think it means only 37% of cyclists were killed that year.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    What's a baseline in this context? Ie. what does '37% below the baseline' mean?

It's the dirty rumbling low part that gets everyone on the dancefloor!

What? :shock:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Littigator wrote:
    What's a baseline in this context? Ie. what does '37% below the baseline' mean?

It's the dirty rumbling low part that gets everyone on the dancefloor!

What? :shock:

Bad Litts! No!

*hits Litts with rolled up newspaper*

:lol:
  • Lost_In_thought
    the baseline was the equivalent figures for 1994-1998 period (averaged)

So Fatalities are down 27% since 94-98
    & Overall Casualty rate is down 37%

Mike
  • Mikelyons wrote:
    136 Cycle fatalities (down from146 in 2006) , but seriously injuries UP.
    I'm surprised to see that the report says cycle traffic is DOWN 8%

• Pedal cycle traffic has decreased by 8 per cent since 2006. However, the total pedal cycle casualties have remained at a similar level to 2006, which has resulted in the pedal cycle casualty rate increasing by 9 per cent from 2006. This rate is, however, 37 per cent below the baseline

Cycle casualties rise by 9% since 2006 and cycle traffic down by 8% = battle to get more people on their bikes is LOST. Depressing thought.

Signed
    Eeyore
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    No, cycle casualties are the same as 2006 but cycle traffic has gone down 8%. But your point still stands, though I'd say "hasn't yet succeeded" rather than "is lost".
  • Mikelyons wrote:
    Lost_In_thought
    the baseline was the equivalent figures for 1994-1998 period (averaged)

So Fatalities are down 27% since 94-98
    & Overall Casualty rate is down 37%

Mike

Thanks!
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    I just hate the way its reported as if road deaths are an unavoidable, acceptable part of modern society. Road deaths aren't even considered news worthy. Take for instance the two recent tragedies in London - I wouldn't have heard about them if not by this forum. How many of you heard about the Shropshire cyclist hit by a vehicle on her 17th birthday - she died from her injuries a few weeks after the accident?
    Steve C
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    No, you're right, but.... if we heard about all the people whose lives were ended tragically short we'd be basically in tears every day. Whether it's road deaths, war, murder, manslaughter, suicide, overdoses, medical mistreatment... these people almost all die tragically and avoidably and there are lots of them!

Perhaps we'd become immune after a while - as you say a road death means next to nothing to most people already, and only gruesome or unusual deaths seem to attract attention. I'm torn about the subject, and I'm struggling to come up with a coherent argument, but ultimately I don't want death in my face all the time - I have enough of a complex about mortality as it is!
  • sc999cs wrote:
    I just hate the way its reported as if road deaths are an unavoidable, acceptable part of modern society. Road deaths aren't even considered news worthy. Take for instance the two recent tragedies in London - I wouldn't have heard about them if not by this forum. How many of you heard about the Shropshire cyclist hit by a vehicle on her 17th birthday - she died from her injuries a few weeks after the accident?

(sorry - don't know how to do the multiple quote thingy yet)

I share your concern about how road deaths are treated. There is a definate pecking order. Consider a train crash with a single fatality. The line will be closed while it is checked. The vehicle (and all similar vehicles) will be inspected for faults. There will be a massive investigation, possibly a public inquiry. When a car crashes do we shut all motorways, recall all Ford Fiestas? No

Another example - the media love to have massive high profile campaigns if a child is killed by a peadophile - an abhorent crime I'm sure you'd all agree. But the number of those types of crime each year is (thankfully) tiny. Yet 200 - yes two hundred - children die every year on our roads. A baby died when hit while on the pavement by a 4x4 around the corner from where I live only last week. Yet no media outcry, no witch-hunt. No demanding changes to the law etc etc.

Deaths on the road are regarded as an acceptable price for the "right to drive". Sad but true.

I'm not saying that every death should be on the news - I take the point above - but where is the serious media or political campaign to address the issue on road fatalities?
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body