new gears on an old bike?

linsen
linsen Posts: 1,959
edited September 2008 in The workshop
I have two lovely shiny bikes for proper playing and a really old BSO for pootling around town. I painted it in the 90s to make it thief resistant and it worked (one time the lock around my bike and my husband's was cut and they took his and left mine behind - they were identical bar the paint job!)
My question is this... as it is a heap of s**t to ride, mainly due to the gears, and the lovely LBS says they can't really do any more to help it, how much should I budget to fit it out with new gears? And is there anyone in Southampton who could show me what to do? I would be willing to pay for a lesson or two...
Cheers all

What a great week it' sbeen (weather wise anyway) to be on two wheels... :D
Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome

Comments

• Many questions.

Tell us how many gears at the back and how many bolts hold the front rings on. A picture of the rear cluster would be good. If its very old, it might not even be a cassette system, in which case I'm already out of my depth!
  • Sounds like a good candidate for a fixie project....

Tempted?

Cheers,
    W.
  • linsen
    6 gears at the back. Funny, I always though it was 7.... As for bolts at the back I have no idea. And I have no idea how to put a pic on here either. Lever thingies on the handlebars. Three rings at the front.

Fixie - hmmm. tempting. Would it make my carthorse legs even larger? Not sure about that.....
  • Rapidly getting out of my depth.

I know enough to recognise a "does my bum look big in this" comment though! (Danger Will Robinson, Danger)
  • linsen
    I don't know what to say now. I've been thinking about the fixie idea though. It's growing on me. Though I wouldn't have a clue where to start. No really, I wouldn't. I would take the bike apart and then cry I think. Will have to do some research. Any helpful hints appreciated :)
  • If it has 6 then it'll probably be a freewheel rather than a freehub, can you determine what the rear dropouts are? Vertical, semi-vertical, horizontal or track fork ends?

Your best bet would be to buy a pair of new wheels and possibly cranks and bb and a new chain, then strip of the bits you don't need and run it fixed or ss if you don't have the right dropouts.
  • You could just go to ebay and spend the same amount of money on a slightly better pub-bike? Alternatively visit a university campus and simply steal one. :shock: