It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    SecretSam wrote:
    ouch

Sounds like you and that girl Sue TheBast&rd are going to become acquainted

Get well soon, glad only the bike's broken

LMAO!! I like that!! :D

Sent a preliminary email to one legal firm (chose a guy that rides a motorcycle as I thought - two wheels, possible empathy - he said he actually commutes to work by cycle).

Those of you that have been in this situation before, and dont have insurance - did you contact many legal firms or just one? Just curious if I'm doing the right thing.

I also need to get some more time off work so have to arrange the doctors certificate thingy, lol! My job is just too physical for my shoulder imo, too much heavy lifting. :oops:
  • Do your local cycle campaign offer insurance/legal help? The LCC do and even if you join after the accident you can use their lawyers.
  • downfader
    Do your local cycle campaign offer insurance/legal help? The LCC do and even if you join after the accident you can use their lawyers.

Dont think they do as they're only a tiny group. I think they only have 5 members :oops: :lol:
  • Maybe go straight to a personal injury lawyer?

No win no fee and all that. If I iinterpreted correctly the polizei are pretty clear that the driver was at fault...

Just a thought.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Maybe go straight to a personal injury lawyer?

No win no fee and all that. If I iinterpreted correctly the polizei are pretty clear that the driver was at fault...

Just a thought.

Personal Injury Lawyer = Ambulance Chaser

A regular solicitor may also be able to help, have used one after a car bump

Whatever you do, DON'T accept the first offer...IME, you can get around 3x that sum at least. Do you have a family solicitor? (S)he may be able to help or advise on a trusted firm

Do you read Private Eye? Perhaps you could use their favourite firm, Sue, Grabbit and Runne :twisted:

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    And get evidence for EVERYTHING - copy doctor's notes, etc.

• Your first stop should be a doctor!!

No win no fee only applies to the no win no fee lawyer's costs. You may still be liable for the other party's costs. I can assure you that because they are lawyers, it WILL be in the small print somewhere.

There is an ongoing insurance process, and an ongoing police process and I don't think its necessary just yet to launch a legal process! The best outcome is that the police do their bit, the insurance company do their bit, you get a new bike and some compensation and you get well.

Compensation is formulaic and you should be able to have a pretty good shot at calculating it yourself, if you have the info of which categories might apply at your disposal. I would hope that it would be possible to get some info on "unit costs" from bodies such as the CTC for free.

My only comparative experience was not in the UK, but I did a little homework, had an estimated amount in my head and I was relieved to find that the insurers had simply crunched the numbers and come up with the same amount. Miracles do happen!

In the mean time, who not visit the "revenge fantasies" thread?
  • DF - check your home insurance policy - it might cover you for legal costs.

My wife had to sue an ex-employer for sex discrimination and our home insurance covered us for up to £50k of legal fees (subject to the insurer agreeing the case had legs). That proved more than sufficient :lol:
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    Unlucky. That junction always makes me nervous - I normally stay on the road bit, there's something funny about the way the cycle lane works there.

Get well soon.
  • downfader
    As it stands I dont own a house, I just rent the room off me parents (being 31 and having a really poorly paid job doesnt help) so I dont have access to home insurances.

I've been to A&E already - should I see my GP also?

I thought I could use a lawyer to deal with the driver's insurance company? I'm not intending the sue the guy tbh just get what I'm owed.
  • If you live in the house, presumably you're covered by the insurance even if it's in your parents' names? Could be wrong on that one and it might be that only policyholders themselves are covered for certain things, such as legal cover. Worth a check, though, in case things get difficult with the driver's insurers?
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • If you live in the house, presumably you're covered by the insurance even if it's in your parents' names? Could be wrong on that one and it might be that only policyholders themselves are covered for certain things, such as legal cover. Worth a check, though, in case things get difficult with the driver's insurers?

I have claimed on my parents insurance before, was quite a while ago so Im not sure the details of the policy. Probably worth having a look as you stay under their roof.

And while Im here, get well soon!
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Hi mate, sorry to hear of the prang. At least you're able to tell the tale and hopefully you'll mend quickly as there are no broken bones.

To be fair to the driver, yes they caused it but at least they stopped, called an ambulance and tried to make sure you were OK, albeit not in the best fashion. Not everyone would have been so considerate. All the crowd on here baying for the blood of the perpetrator would do well to at least acknowledge that before asking you to sue their ass off. And as has been said before, only persue the legal route if you're not offered suitable compensation for your bike, injuries (mental and physical) and loss of earnings. Who wants to give money to lawyers or solicitors anyway :D
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    From my dealings with this this as a victim
      Get photos of the scene Get photos of the approach and any road markings/ street signs Keep any receipts for travel to and from GP/hospital/bike shops for repair quotes Do not accept the first offer from the other party, it will be low Be prepared for a long wait, my case took 12 months from start to payout You might need a second or third medical for you injuries which can draw out the case Bear in mind how your current injuries could affect you in later life, this will add to your claim but will drag out the case

There is more to bear in mind but my case was 5 years ago. At the time I phoned Alison France from an ad in the back of C+.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Sorry to hear of the accident, hope the pain and inconvenience is shortlived.

I had a car try to pull a Sante Pod start, out from the left hand side this evening. He was on the blindside of a van, which was waiting to get across to go right. Front car makes a break for a gap, 2nd tried to be cheeky etc etc. Surprisingly, Corsa with 155 tyres, furry dice and probably a 1.4 engine. Followed by a certain hand gesture from me :lol: :roll: :oops:

Rare incident really, just 1715 volume of traffic I suppose.

To my main point, watched your video on You.tube. Was the camera fitted on your helmet, or fitted to a rucksack strap or something? If it was a helmet camera. Find it kind of disconcerting, how little you check your periphery - no point do you seem to look left or right, more than 10 degrees. When moving across the lane on approaching parked cars, quite a drastic maneouvre - no "lifesaver" over the shoulder. You might not hear a motor vehicle engine, another cyclist could have been about to overtake though.

Not wishing to be too brutal about it. Any Solicitor worth his salt - first thing he would say "What motivates you to ride a bike with a camera fitted to your helmet?" Like the old adage goes - There is no smoke, without fire. Are you kind of resigned to the fact, you will have somekind of incident? Which on first impressions, it does seem.
  • downfader
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Hi mate, sorry to hear of the prang. At least you're able to tell the tale and hopefully you'll mend quickly as there are no broken bones.

To be fair to the driver, yes they caused it but at least they stopped, called an ambulance and tried to make sure you were OK, albeit not in the best fashion. Not everyone would have been so considerate. All the crowd on here baying for the blood of the perpetrator would do well to at least acknowledge that before asking you to sue their ass off. And as has been said before, only persue the legal route if you're not offered suitable compensation for your bike, injuries (mental and physical) and loss of earnings. Who wants to give money to lawyers or solicitors anyway :D

Are we all not flawed human beings in some capacity? Thats the way I see it. As I think I said earlier I feel very little anger towards him.. even after todays interesting development at the police station (which I cant talk about because of the legal situation)

Well I got the bike back. Its screwed. :cry: Absolutely bent out of shape, the frame, the front derailer/sprocket, front wheel.. wrecked. :cry: Practically a custom bike after all the little improvements I had done.
  • downfader
    Toshmund wrote:
    Sorry to hear of the accident, hope the pain and inconvenience is shortlived.

I had a car try to pull a Sante Pod start, out from the left hand side this evening. He was on the blindside of a van, which was waiting to get across to go right. Front car makes a break for a gap, 2nd tried to be cheeky etc etc. Surprisingly, Corsa with 155 tyres, furry dice and probably a 1.4 engine. Followed by a certain hand gesture from me :lol: :roll: :oops:

Rare incident really, just 1715 volume of traffic I suppose.

To my main point, watched your video on You.tube. Was the camera fitted on your helmet, or fitted to a rucksack strap or something? If it was a helmet camera. Find it kind of disconcerting, how little you check your periphery - no point do you seem to look left or right, more than 10 degrees. When moving across the lane on approaching parked cars, quite a drastic maneouvre - no "lifesaver" over the shoulder. You might not hear a motor vehicle engine, another cyclist could have been about to overtake though.

Not wishing to be too brutal about it. Any Solicitor worth his salt - first thing he would say "What motivates you to ride a bike with a camera fitted to your helmet?" Like the old adage goes - There is no smoke, without fire. Are you kind of resigned to the fact, you will have somekind of incident? Which on first impressions, it does seem.

Most of the atc3k footage is handlebar mounted - I think I've only uploaded a couple of helmet vids. Everything in the past 2-3 weeks has been handlebar only. I found it too uncomfortable on the lid. So hence you dont get to see all the checks, indications, etc.

I've been quite prepared for any negative response to the camera - I've been doing photography for years so I'm used to people getting suspicious or angry. Why do people put up CCTV on their house? :wink: I've had a few peeps have a go at me about the atc, but after expplaining why they've come around to my thinking - and now it appears to have been bourne out (if thats the right phrase)