3/4s or knee warmers

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my knees warm or not (basically trying to avoid full lengths for as long as possible)

What are you opinions on knee warmers (I'm looking at a rather fine understated Assos pair)
Against full 3/4's which will obviously be more expensive

your thoughts?

thanks guys
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• I'd go for the warmers - more useful IME.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I know I keep saying this, but men look really rather lovely in 3/4s.
  • Probably doesn't help your choice much, but I'd say both. When it's nippy first thing I use knee warmers and can take them off when it (and I) warms up a bit. However, once it is cool enough that I want knees covered all the journey I use a 3/4 bib. And then full length winter tights when it's really chilly.

Not good having chilly knees.
  • Kneewarmers. Cheaper, they work very well, and you can use them on all your shorts. Plus, if its not as cold as you think it is when you get on the bike, you can easily just pull them down round your ankles (or at least, thats what I do). I have a pair from Swobo - merino wool, lovely.
  • I have both - knee warmers are good when it warms up, but 3/4's are better when it stays cooler as you also have the roubaix protection on your thighs and nether regions.

Can recommned Assos for both.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • How bizarre - I never knew such a thing existed! And elbow warmers too! One for every joint...

I'm with Cori on this one, you'd look less of a numpty in 3/4 lengths.

But then people do generally look a little silly on bikes... :shock:
  • I've tried two different brands of knee warmers.... how do you get them to stay up?

Both sets are so tight on my lower/mid thighs that it feels like the circulation is stopping, as soon as I start riding they start drooping. :oops:

if you have to shave your legs, forget it, it annoys the hell out of me that I shave my face a few times a week!
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • I've tried two different brands of knee warmers.... how do you get them to stay up?

Both sets are so tight on my lower/mid thighs that it feels like the circulation is stopping, as soon as I start riding they start drooping. :oops:

if you have to shave your legs, forget it, it annoys the hell out of me that I shave my face a few times a week!

I've never had a problem - pull them slightly higher than short hem and the shorts help keep them in place anyway.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Clever Pun

need pics...

I half thought about rapha ones but I've already got arm warmers by them, which are excellent btw... is it just pushing it a little too far into tart city?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    How bizarre - I never knew such a thing existed! And elbow warmers too! One for every joint...

I'm with Cori on this one, you'd look less of a numpty in 3/4 lengths.

But then people do generally look a little silly on bikes... :shock:

thanks ladies... I mentioned the idea to the missus this morning and she really thought I was taking the piss :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5

I've never had a problem - pull them slightly higher than short hem and the shorts help keep them in place anyway.

Nope, same problem with arm warmers to, can't get them to stay up.... story of my life really!
    --
  • Clever Pun wrote:

need pics...

I half thought about rapha ones but I've already got arm warmers by them, which are excellent btw... is it just pushing it a little too far into tart city?

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/clothing/arm-and-leg-warmers/product/super-roubaix-arm-and-knee-warmers-25611

671_633402718008372500_santinikneewarmers.jpg
  • This is NOT a serious suggstion but...
    how do you get them to stay up?

Do they do cycling suspenders?

*hides*
  • Coriander wrote:

8) It takes a lot to get me out of 3/4 length bibknickers. Knee warmers are fine for the early morning ride out to a race, or ride home from an evening 10, but lack the warmth for proper mild winter riding.

I'll second the recommendation for the Prendas 'warmers. And anyone who commutes in Assos kit has too much money :lol:

*hides*

where can I buy some!
    --
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I use a pair of Endura ones (got em off Wiggle) , they pull right up to the tops of my thighs keeping me as warm as my 3/4 length shorts and because I wear them underneath my shorts, they don't look stupid, it just looks like I'm wearing two tone 3/4 lengths.

Knee warmth is something I take really seriously as there's so little blood flow across the front of your knees. My full length thermal bibs come out as soon as it starts getting really cold.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"

*hides*

where can I buy some!

I suspect Rapha sell Jermyn Street sourced sock suspenders for £69 per pair :lol:
  • a word of warning tho - I wore my new leg warmers for the first time this week, and my 12-year-old daughter was rolling on the floor laughing that I was wearing what she said were stockings!
    Chocolate makes your clothes shrink
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Coriander wrote:

...and I keep telling you I don't

Down girl, most of us are spoken for

Should we get a singles forum?!?!? "Female, into carbon, seeks similar male for sweaty fun"

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Clever Pun

I bought the assos ones from there in the end and the single shot EL610 light (was as cheap as I could find it quickly), ordered them yesterday morning and they arrived today... nice

I'll give them a crack tomorrow, much to the other half's disgust I can only imagine
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    SecretSam wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

Should we get a singles forum?!?!? "Female, into carbon, seeks similar male for sweaty fun"

Last time I looked, Secret Sam, there were more men than just you in the world.

And I am SOOOOOO not after any of you, you can calm down as well, today is not to be your lucky day.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Coriander wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

Last time I looked, Secret Sam, there were more men than just you in the world.

And I am SOOOOOO not after any of you, you can calm down as well, today is not to be your lucky day.

Oooh, well excuse my vanity :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I bought specialized leg warmers and they have silcone grippers which seem to clamp to your leg work really well. I'll probably have to wear winter tights when it's gets a lot colder but these are just fine..

[/url]http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=13470&categoryID=410[url][/url]
    Commuter Surosa Toledo S34 Audax
    Best Bike Merida Road Race 901-18

In truth i love them both
  • Clever Pun
    I returned the Assos ones as frankly they didn't stay up and the grippers were not up to the job

I tried the Rapha ones instead today and they were superb stayed were they should the entire ride...

oh yes those who commute in Assos et al get full use out of their kit... everyday is a race
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Why would you wear 3/4s when you could just wear full length?
  • I've got shorts (several paris depending on clour scheme for the day) and a pair of full length. Have to say full length is a bit hot and sweaty, unless it's cold or wet. Then shorts, well, they freeze your nads... :oops:
    Time for 3/4's I think....

p.s. has anyone tried the newspaper down the front of their shorts before? Just asking a question, not needing details.... :wink:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Clever Pun
    biondino wrote:

I always thought that, but it's too warm for full length but it's nice having warm knees
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    biondino wrote:

I find it quite a big jump in warmth from 3/4 length knee warmers to my full length thermal bib tights, also I think keeping your knees warm is quite important, that's why.

I have however on occasion been known to wear a pair if Ron Hill's but they're just no as warm around the knee
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"