Tail Wagging the Dog - more PC Nonsense?

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited September 2008 in Campaign
An organisation I am involved with have a heavily moderated message board -ie all message have to be approved before being posted

however this is a message that has been posted by a staff member and apparently approved by the moderators.
The following has just been sent to staff in XXXX:

"In his 11 years as a member of staff at Txxxxx Txxxx, RF has taken just one day off sick. Commending him for his remarkable absence record W S Director NA said: "I am aware that you are highly regarded by management and colleagues who are quite right that, given the current situation regarding sickness levels across XXXX, this is a feat that should be acknowledged." R's duties span post room messenger services, switchboard cover and helping to keep the S W L P S's offices free of refuse to ensure a safer working environment for his colleagues. Thanking R for his commitment and dedication, N told him he was "a good and positive influence on new members of staff joining XXXX"."
Whilst implying no criticism whatsoever against Mr. F, am I the only person who feels that this is implied criticism of those who are forced to take sick leave, either from illness or disability?

Mr. F is very lucky. I wish I was healthy enough to have is sick record.

Matthew

How can the prasing of an outstanding attendance record be regarded as "implied criticism of those who are forced to take sick leave, either from illness or disability?"

IMHO The world is truly f*cked up if this is the mentality we now have. We can't praise anything good because it might offend someone who isn't so good?
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• Oh dear, a bit thin-skinned is your friend Matthew!
    Or is he guilty of throwing a sicky to watch the cup final/3-day from Edgbaston or suffered too often from beeritis?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • spen666
    Oh dear, a bit thin-skinned is your friend Matthew!
    Or is he guilty of throwing a sicky to watch the cup final/3-day from Edgbaston or suffered too often from beeritis?

He is most certainly not my friend - never met the person before

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:

Matthew

How can the prasing of an outstanding attendance record be regarded as "implied criticism of those who are forced to take sick leave, either from illness or disability?"

IMHO The world is truly f*cked up if this is the mentality we now have. We can't praise anything good because it might offend someone who isn't so good?[/quote]

When you can't use the term 'Brainstorming' because it may 'upset' Epileptics then nothing, nothing would surprise me anymore :roll:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    The world is f*cked if we praise people for something over which they have no control. "Congratulations on having blue eyes!"

An outstanding sickness record is nothing of the sort. The guy wasn't sick, and didn't throw any sickies. Fine, that's what should be expected! What does he want, an "I am a good boy" award? He's just doing his job ffs!

On the other hand, if management's attitude is such that a guy who breaks his leg in a bike accident and is off work for two weeks as a result is considered less "outstanding" than his obedient healthy colleague and his career prospects suffer as a result, that's obscene.

Nice work, bikeradar's right wing, finding "political correctness" (you know, that term doens't need to be an insult - see also "liberal") in something so self-evidently WRONG.
  • biondino
    (p.s. if this guy was so dedicated that he actually came into work when he WAS sick then it was extremely irresponsible of him to risk infecting his colleagues and causing a mass, and justified, sickie!)
  • spen666
    spen666 wrote:

Matthew

IMHO The world is truly f*cked up if this is the mentality we now have. We can't praise anything good because it might offend someone who isn't so good?

When you can't use the term 'Brainstorming' because it may 'upset' Epileptics then nothing, nothing would surprise me anymore :roll:[/quote]

i'm sorry that phrase is not acceptable as it implies those who have nothing are somehow less deserving of praise than the rich

Twittering @spen_666
  • biondino
    Uh you are a mentalist
  • spen666 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Matthew

When you can't use the term 'Brainstorming' because it may 'upset' Epileptics then nothing, nothing would surprise me anymore :roll:

i'm sorry that phrase is not acceptable as it implies those who have nothing are somehow less deserving of praise than the rich[/quote]

:lol: You're a card 666!!! :lol:
  • spen666
    spen666 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Matthew

i'm sorry that phrase is not acceptable as it implies those who have nothing are somehow less deserving of praise than the rich

:lol: You're a card 666!!! :lol:[/quote]

The joker?

Or the Ace?

Twittering @spen_666
  • :lol:

In the last three years I have had two operations and I broken leg meaning a total of 10 weeks off fully paid :lol::lol:

I have enjoyed every minute of these apart from the pain and have been the envy of a number of work mates!!!

I especially felt no guilt when I found out our CEO got a bonus of £600K

I doubt Mr F is getting rewarded very well for his attendance

Baz101

35 hr working week and proud
  • spen666 wrote:
    [

:lol: You're a card 666!!! :lol:[/quote]

The joker?

Or the Ace?[/quote]

You choose :wink:
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    People who are never off sick are either never sick, or they simply come in and infect everyone else, which costs the company more money. However, their "dedication" to the job will rarely see them rewarded for it. I remember a guy at my old company. He wasn't sick in 4 years, was only taking 2 or 3 days of his 30 days of holiday allocation per year and worked many weekends. A new boss came in and got rid of the guy so that the boss could bring in one of his friends.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I went to school with a girl who one attendance prize every year for not having time off. I asked her once how come and she said she was only sick in the holidays! :(
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Whoops - should have said 'won'.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Sick days are just extra holiday in my opinion, :shock: :wink: