Wise words on a lorry

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
Having read the article in C+ a couple of months back about emergency services' bike training, where they are taught "undertaking leads to the undertaker", was interested to see the following scrawled into the dirt on the back of an HGV:

on right side, arrow pointing to right and the word "Outside"

On the left, arrow pointing to left, and word "Suicide"

Rather blunt, but you see the point. Keep safe...

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• I was behind a lorry on Long Lane today, it had a TFL sticker on the left that said something along the lines of - cyclists - do not undertake. Any big and yellow. Unfortunately the driver was a w@nker I was only behind him as he'd pulled out right in front of me - clearly misjudged my speed. I enjoyed the irony though.
  • I find that people misjudging my speed and pulling out in front of me is actually the biggest cause of most of my near-misses at the minute, I guess they just don't think a cyclist will be moving very quickly.

I've taken to trying to make eye contact (did this anyway) then mouthing 'NO' or shaking my head at the driver... but some just don't look.

And as it's usually in Acton I'm too scared of stumbling upon a gangsta to knock on windows when I inevitably catch up with them in the heavy traffic.

I've seen those 'cyclists do not undertake' stickers a few times before, mostly on lorries with turning rear axles.

However, I don't know if they lead to an attitude from the driver whereby cyclists have been warned so they don't need to check their left mirror before manoeuvering... pass.
  • Yep Ive taken to giving drivers the 'You're really not going to do that are you ?' look it does seem to work, and I even made a driver laugh when I filtered down a line of traffic and pulled in front of him turned round and stuck my tongue out at him :D
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...the look I most fear from drivers is when they look straight at you and you can see them thinking, "it's only a cyclist, so I don't need to stop/slow down etc"
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709

I've seen those 'cyclists do not undertake' stickers a few times before, mostly on lorries with turning rear axles.

However, I don't know if they lead to an attitude from the driver whereby cyclists have been warned so they don't need to check their left mirror before manoeuvering... pass.

That is my concern about these stickers etc.

Perhaps the stickers should be also giving the message about motorists checking for cyclinsts before making manouveres - ie reminding both parties of their obligations
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I've taken to trying to make eye contact (did this anyway) then mouthing 'NO' or shaking my head at the driver... but some just don't look.

It's funny you say that, L-i-T, as recently I've had a couple of occasions when cars have arrived at speed at a junction, barely stopped and only seem to be gving a cursory glance to their right before pulling out. I've been quite afraid and speaking out loud to myself rather than them, I've said 'Nooo' and shaken my head. Which they've seen and come to a complete halt.

So it does seem to work.
  • Coriander wrote:

It's funny you say that, L-i-T, as recently I've had a couple of occasions when cars have arrived at speed at a junction, barely stopped and only seem to be gving a cursory glance to their right before pulling out. I've been quite afraid and speaking out loud to myself rather than them, I've said 'Nooo' and shaken my head. Which they've seen and come to a complete halt.

So it does seem to work.

It does, I think, or like to think!!

I can almost see the decision-making in their head 'can I make it out before that cyclist oh she's only a cyclist she can't be going that fast i'm sure i'll be able to pull out in front of her...'

NO! :x
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I find that people misjudging my speed and pulling out in front of me is actually the biggest cause of most of my near-misses at the minute, I guess they just don't think a girl will be moving very quickly.

fixed that for you :wink:

yeah I do the eye contact thing as well with a shake of the head
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    I find that people misjudging my speed and pulling out in front of me is actually the biggest cause of most of my near-misses at the minute, I guess they just don't think a girl will be moving very quickly.

fixed that for you :wink:

yeah I do the eye contact thing as well with a shake of the head

OI!

:lol::lol:
  • on right side, arrow pointing to right and the word "Outside"

naff, and factually incorrect. It's not suicide, but it's a good way to get squished by someone else.

'Outside' and 'don't go this way, the numpty driving this thing is likely to squash you. He won't be watching, he's fantasizing about the next hitchhiker he's going to dismember before leaving their body in a roll of carpet in a layby on the A1' is far more precise, if a little less catchy.
  • 'Outside' and 'don't go this way, the numpty driving this thing is likely to squash you. He won't be watching, he's fantasizing about the next hitchhiker he's going to dismember before leaving their body in a roll of carpet in a layby on the A1' is far more precise, if a little less catchy.
    But by the time you've stopped to read that, you'll have been run over from the rear!
  • I know...but it's the principle of the thing, damnit!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    spen666 wrote:
    That is my concern about these stickers etc.

Perhaps the stickers should be also giving the message about motorists checking for cyclinsts before making manouveres - ie reminding both parties of their obligations

There is another sticker seen on the back of HGV/LGVs etc "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you"

If I do have to stop behind a lorry then I make sure I can see the mirrors, usually the off side.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    redvee wrote:
    There is another sticker seen on the back of HGV/LGVs etc "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you"

If I do have to stop behind a lorry then I make sure I can see the mirrors, usually the off side.
    I think that's dangerous since it implies that if you can see the mirrors the driver can also see you, which is often not the case.
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    redvee wrote:

I think that's dangerous since it implies that if you can see the mirrors the driver can also see you, which is often not the case.

Well, he's able to see you, question is, is he looking? :shock:
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    edited September 2008
    If their expression is anything like the above I'd recommend keeping well clear. What's this sexist 'he' business anyway? Women drive HGVs too you know...

Alan-Rogers-Long-Distance-Clara-91963.jpg

I find your 20th century attitude to the haulage profession rather offensive.
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    If their expression is anything like the above I'd recommend keeping well clear. What's this 'he' business anyway? Women drive HGVs too you know...

Alan-Rogers-Long-Distance-Clara-91963.jpg

I'm sexist.

:twisted:
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    What's wrong with being sexy?

I'd take it as a compliment if I were you
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    on right side, arrow pointing to right and the word "Outside"

naff, and factually incorrect. It's not suicide, but it's a good way to get squished by someone else.

'Outside' and 'don't go this way, the numpty driving this thing is likely to squash you. He won't be watching, he's fantasizing about the next hitchhiker he's going to dismember before leaving their body in a roll of carpet in a layby on the A1' is far more precise, if a little less catchy.

Best not to encourage them or keep them busy by ever buying anything in a shop, ever, then... :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.