Shoe sizing help.

mattster12
mattster12 Posts: 16
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
I am just about to buy my first road shoes and pedals and am wondering what the sizing is like on cycling shoes?

If i am a size 10 in trainers and dress shoes, does this mean i need the same in cycling shoes? Or are you supose to get them bigger?

These are what i am going for:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_R ... 360033177/

And

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shima ... 360011753/

Comments

• Hi,
    For my feet a 10 equates to a 47.
    Fru
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Have to say, try the shoes on before buying. Pretty much every shoe company measures up different.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • mattster12
    mattster12 Posts: 16
    edited September 2008
    So Fru, you take size 12 in cycling shoes?

47=uk12
  • It really does vary greatly with cycling shoes. I take anything between a 43-47 dependant upon make and model of shoe. You should try on first - don't go mail order unless you're 100% certian about size.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • I would agree on not going mail order as well.

I'm normally a size 8 in pretty much anything ( shoes, trainers, boots and motorbike boots ) but I tried size 8 Sidi's on in Evans and they were a bit tight, actually felt a bit too narrow. The size 9's were just too big.

Tried on size 8 Shimano R099's and they were a bit tight too, but the size 9 ( 43 ) Shimano's were a perfect fit.

So yeah, go to your local bike shop to try them first. Buy a pair of ill fitting shoes and you will end up regretting it after only a few rides. 8)
    Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
    Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010
  • mattster12 wrote:
    So Fru, you take size 12 in cycling shoes?
    47=uk12
    I've just double checked. Yes - 10 in a dress shoe, 47 in a road shoe. Crikey! :shock:
    Definately do what Jez Mon says.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    I have those shoes, and them pedals, your not stalking me are you!! :lol:

I am a size 11 and bought a 46, they fit fine, although you may notice that a lot of manufacturers claim a 11 to be 45, confused?

And a lot of manufacturers come up narrow, dhb seem fine in this respect so long as you only wear thin cycling socks
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'm a 10 in trainers but a 45 in Specialized cycling shoes (road and MTB). I'd certainly agree with the others saying go to an LBS and try/buy them there.
  • I've found on several occasions that I need about 2 sizes up in Shimano to what I would take usually - be careful!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    It's easy to be deceived over cycling shoe sizes. My 10 equates to a 45 in a Sidi, and I am sure it differs amongst shoe manufacturers.

Very best thing to do is try before you buy, particularly with cycling shoes. Imperative!
  • Also -don't buy a bigger shoe to get the width right and have your foot way back in the shoe, you'll never get the cleats in the right place. If you have wide feet, get a wide fitting shoe!

We see a fair number of riders that need new shoes for the above reason.
    Good luck,
    Scherrit.
    www.thebikewhisperer.co.uk
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.