Is this reasonable

CyclingBantam
CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
Hi All,

I work for a large company and in our main offices there are about 2,500 people employed. There is 1 locker room that is quite easily accessible from the main entrance, i.e. you don't have to walk through any offices to get to it. Within there are about 100 lockers and 1 shower.

I am trying to raise with work that I believe for 1250 male employees (Guess but probably about right) having 1 shower is not adequate.

The problem is I have been pointed to the fact that there is 1 shower near the main entrance that I could use, even though this is in a diferent building to any lockers. There is also another shower that I 'should use' that would involve me arriving at work sweating and going up 3 floors, across the middle of a very large office and then down 6 floors to find two more showers but unfortunately only 10 lockers, none of witch lock.

Now I feel that it is unreasonable that these 'additional' shower areas are not reasonable to expect someone to use. Am I being un realistic? I know we may have better facilities than some but there is no reason to try and improve them more.

Any thoughts would be useful! :D

Comments

• Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I don't know about your question but it sounds like you work inside an M.C. Escher painting to me :)
  • As you work for a large company they may have developed a Green Travel Plan, which should/could have aims & their enabling steps,
    ie ...
    Aim: 10% of staff to travel to work by bike at least 3 times a week by 2010.
    Steps: Provision of 'Cycle to Work' voucher scheme, 250 secure cycle parking spaces, 250 lockers, 25 showers, etc.

Check the plan, are your company meeting their targets? If not, highlight that they aren't.

If the company doesn't have one, suggest that they start to pull one together.

I'm working on one at the moment for the company I work for and it was effectively forced on us by the local council/planners when we tried to develop a new building.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Tarquin, I do believe you have the feyest name on bikeradar! Chapeau!
  • What are the parking facilities like?

Suggestion - get a lock for one of the disued lockers in the 6th level of hell. It would seem likely that you'll have the entire place to yourself.

If all the showers work and you have somewhere to put a bike, I think you are doing quite well. ITs a bit of a pain, but its quite normal to have to trudge around amongst your early morning colleagues looking like a gimp. Work on looking nonchalant.

I have to walk down the street looking like a gimp, carrying a shirt and trousers, with my pants in my back pocket. Occasionally, I take a bag, but actually I've taken to enjoying the strange looks all the people already in their suits give me.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    BenBlyth wrote:
    There is also another shower that I 'should use' that would involve me arriving at work sweating and going up 3 floors, across the middle of a very large office and then down 6 floors to find two more showers but unfortunately only 10 lockers, none of witch lock

At least there are spare lockers,

I am still trying to find the most direct route from the changing rooms below my office to the entrance door nearest my storage box without getting lost or asking a Porter.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days