Bike Bag for train?

BigJimmyB
BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
edited November 2008 in Commuting chat
I plan to use my hybrid to commute, but will need to use the train.

Not wishing to spend more money on a folder, but taking into account that the rail Co get funny with people having bikes on trains at peak times, I was planning to remove the wheels and put it all in a bag.

So, any recommendations? It does't have to be super-padded, as it's just for putting bike in on train to satisfy them it's not a 'complete bike'

Thanks
BJB

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    BEWARE!!

There are rules in the Carriage Regulations re Railwaysthat define the maximum size of items of luggage. A non folding bike in a bag will be in excess of those restrictions, even with wheels removed.
    You may therefore still be denied access to the train.

Additionally, if the line you intend to travel on is busy, is it fair to other travellers to take up so much space- think of the effect it will have on their views of cyclists and their treatment of them
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • BigJimmyB
    Spen.

It'll take up no more room than the folders which go on board (i.e. Dahon Jacks), particularly the ones which are folded to gain access to the platform then unfurled on the train!

My trains have dedicated carriages where bikes can be stowed and my choice of train time will mean less poeple on board.
  • In my experience a bag is unnecessary. Especially if the trains you are using have bike space. Its always worth being nice to the guard - politely asking where the bike store is goes down a lot better than being stroppy. In my opinion the last thing we cyclists should do is annoy people who work on trains. we really dont want a ban. I think we have to try to make it as easy for them as possible.
    I take my solo and also a tandem by train and have had very little hassle ( it normally comes from station staff not train guards). But then there is an advantage in the novelty value of a tandem - it always starts people asking questions.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Are you going to take the bars off too? The frame is a lot bigger than you expect, especially with the bars still attached. I reckon find out if there's a place for your bike on the train and what the regulations are, and stick to them.
  • BigJimmyB
    There IS a space on the train, but they have restrictions on peak serviices on ALL bikes.

The folders seem to get away with it though, and as my bike wont take up an more space (compared to a folding Dahon Jack at least), then it shoul be OK, but I need a bag to keep it all in and don't want /can't justify a folder.

So any bag suggestions?
  • Whether a bag is needed etc. depends on the train operator. See http://nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/misc/CyclingbyTrain.pdf for the gen.
  • EBC do one. It's probably decent, most of their stuff is. 80 quid, though.. I think I'd flog the hybrid and buy a folder in your shoes.

I don't know how practical this is, but I daresay it's doable if you're determined. There are a few ways to make it easier, I'm sure: no mudguards, Q/Rs for wheels, obviously, maybe on the stem as well? Singlespeed or fixed, maybe, to save faffing with adjusting gears or bending mechs?
    Watch your forks & dropouts- they arn't very strong without an axle to hold them apart. You could carry spacers (eg old Q/R axles set to the right width), but then that's more faffing.

Cheers,
    W.
  • http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Scico ... 360037699/

I intend to do exactly the same as you bigjimmy I have found this bag.