facebook group I HATE Cyclists.

mark howland
mark howland Posts: 3
edited January 2009 in Campaign
Someone i know joined this group and i want to join so i can rubbish their claim that we cyclists don't pay road tax and always go through red lights but dont have the gramatical know how.

Comments

• Errr...................cyclists don't pay road tax. Consider your chips........pissed on.

As for being grammitically correct, I think you are ok. Being punctually correct however........if you look up 'punctuation' in a dictionary I guarantee you will learn something.

As for the red light business - other forum threads will do this to death.
  • Tootler wrote:
    Cyclists don't pay road tax

I am a cyclist.

I pay road tax.

Joining the dots is left as an exercise for the reader.
    John Stevenson
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    VED used to be a fair argument. Everyone had to pay tax for each car they drove on the road so the no tax on bicycles was arguably unfair - cyclists used the road and were not paying a fair share. However, the system is now based upon CO2 emmissions. Therefore, like polo blue motions/electric cars, bicycles would fall into the £0 category and the would pay £nil.

VED
    band CO2 £
    A Up to 100 £0
    B 101 - 120 £35
    C 121 - 150 £120
    D 151 - 165 £145
    E 166 - 185 £170
    F over 1862 £210
    G over 2263 £400

Incidentally, has anyone calculated the CO2 emmited by a cyclist?
    Rich
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    I think my farting while riding imply I should be paying something.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    What's "Road Tax" anyway?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Stand at any junction and count the number of drivers who go through red and then count the cyclists. Consider which is more dangerous.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    RichA wrote:

Incidentally, has anyone calculated the CO2 emmited by a cyclist?

Cyclists eat food to go, so its a clean energy cycle, just describe it as Biomass. Well not really, but with CO2 costs of transporting oil and oil products all over the place etc not factored into CO2 output of cars I don't see why we should be compared that way either.

As for electric cars, the "elephant in the room" is that an insignificant %-age of electricity is generated through renewable means. If the car is charged up with power that has comes from a coal- or gas-fired plant then the CO2 is considerably higher than would probably be the case just using a small car, transmission losses in power alone would be high?

I'd be suprised if someone hasn't done a study on the CO2 cost of making the bike, but it would still be a damned sight less than the smallest car or motorcycle, other than those bicycles you see around with a very small motor attached.

If you want clean and lean with a motor the only way to get it really would be an electric bicycle with a clean charging source like solar on your roof, anything more is going to be increasingly dirty.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    gavintc wrote:
    Stand at any junction and count the number of drivers who go through red and then count the cyclists. Consider which is more dangerous.

Consider also the near accidents that occur when motorists run red lights, and the few that occur when cyclists do so. I've seen plenty of very near misses with motorists running red's, none with cyclists.

Strangely I've never seen a driver getting stuck into another for their cr@p driving, yet I've had plenty offer me "advice" about how I should cycle?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Tootler wrote:

I am a cyclist.

I pay road tax.

how do you pay a tax that was abolished some 70 years ago? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Tootler wrote:
    Errr...................cyclists don't pay road tax. Consider your chips........pissed on.

As for being grammitically correct, I think you are ok. Being punctually correct however........if you look up 'punctuation' in a dictionary I guarantee you will learn something.

Thanx for the support , incidentally i pay road tax for 3 vehicles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • see the button just above the shift key, go ahead and press it, it will do wonders for you.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    RichA wrote:
    VED
    band CO2 £
    A Up to 100 £0
    B 101 - 120 £35
    C 121 - 150 £120
    D 151 - 165 £145
    E 166 - 185 £170
    F over 1862 £210
    G over 2263 £400

You missed a few

PLG, Post 1992, < 1300cc (I dont' know this)
    PLG, Post 1992, > 1300cc £210pa
    PLG, Pre 1992, £210pa
    PLG Pre 1973, Nill
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Tootler wrote:
    Errr...................cyclists don't pay road tax. Consider your chips........pissed on.

Thanx for the support , incidentally i pay road tax for 3 vehicles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No such thing as road tax - this topic regularly pops up, best to do a search and you'll get plenty of ammo.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Facebook. Just tell them Facebook is for peados (as per ITN broadcasts) :wink::lol:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    chuckcork wrote:
    gavintc wrote:

Consider also the near accidents that occur when motorists run red lights, and the few that occur when cyclists do so. I've seen plenty of very near misses with motorists running red's, none with cyclists.

Strangely I've never seen a driver getting stuck into another for their cr@p driving, yet I've had plenty offer me "advice" about how I should cycle?

I've seen plenty of that...it's not just cyclists who get grief everyone is the angry drivers enemy
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    see the button just above the shift key, go ahead and press it, it will do wonders for you.
    Caps Lock ?
  • I had some spunk pebble tell em this morning that I should give way as I don't pay road tax.

I politely pointed out that

1) there is no raod tax and anyway VED pays for that cluster f*ck in Iraq, not new roads
    2) We were here first
    3) I own 3 cars anyhow, so pay more VEd - following his logic
    4) I pay VAT on my bike and bits
    5) Looking at his car, I probably pay more tax too, so using his logic have mor right to bethere.

Actually, I got as far as 2 then found myself shouting impotently into the street.

Felt better for it though.
    Bring the little ones unto me...and I will fetch a good price for them
  • 2) We were here first

:lol: Quality come back, Cat :!:

But you should have said 'F&ck you, d1ck weed, we were here first!' instead though IMHO. :wink:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • I had some spunk pebble

What exactly is a spunk pebble?
    If it is what I think it is, I have a few of those in my socks.

What car was the pebble driving? Please tell me it was a silver Range Rover - I have a particular dislike for for this type of fat c**t carriage.
  • So , to summarise, the correct response is :

"It's a zero emission vehicle you spunk pebble" ?

( I have no idea what a spunk pebble is either)
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • spen666 wrote:
    Tootler wrote:

I am a cyclist.

I pay road tax.

how do you pay a tax that was abolished some 70 years ago? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

FFS, the DVLA still refer to Vehicle Excise Duty as "road tax". Nice to see the pedants are still rife. :D
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    It's worth highlighting the point made by Nevis the Cat because many hard of thinking drivers seem to be somewhat misinformed:

VED/Road Tax (call it whatever you want) does not pay for the development or maintenance of UK roads; Income tax does.
  • downfader
    Actually heres a point. I wrote to the Department of Transport telling them what drivers shout at cyclists and said they really have a responsibility to ensure these people are educated.

Their response was typically one of brushing me off saying how it wasnt worth their effort. Time and time again I think they've proved they dont actually give a damn about cyclists, and we're paying their wages... so if you all want to send in your comments about the abuse you get then feel free. :wink:

I think they could do with a kick up the **** on this. http://www.dft.gov.uk/
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I hate cyclists too....oh, hang on....
  • chuckcork wrote:
    If you want clean and lean with a motor the only way to get it really would be an electric bicycle with a clean charging source like solar on your roof, anything more is going to be increasingly dirty.
    Not even that, you're lovely battery has been produced using a load of energy and left a dirty big hole surrounded by spoil heaps and polluted water as its Nickel, Cadmium & its lovely plastic case has had similar amounts of energy spent upon it.
    The only enviromentally mode of transport is to walk, dressed in nothing but natural fibres & animal-derived products.
    Naturally, no artificial fertilisers or pesticides nor any type of non-animal powered transport should have been used during its production!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • trig1
    trig1 Posts: 111
    i want to know what a spunk pebble is! :)
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I had some spunk pebble tell em this morning that I should give way as I don't pay road tax.

I politely pointed out that

1) there is no raod tax and anyway VED pays for that cluster f*ck in Iraq, not new roads
    2) We were here first
    3) I own 3 cars anyhow, so pay more VEd - following his logic
    4) I pay VAT on my bike and bits
    5) Looking at his car, I probably pay more tax too, so using his logic have mor right to bethere.

Actually, I got as far as 2 then found myself shouting impotently into the street.

Felt better for it though.

Keep it simple

"If you're paying Road Tax - your'e being conned!"
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • downfader
    trig1 wrote:
    i want to know what a spunk pebble is! :)

Its like a spitwad but needs to be removed by a doctor :lol:
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    May I suggest that every member of Bike Radar joins the group, them swamps it with pro cycling posts! Flash Mobbing it's called!
    I shall start today!
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • I have a simple response to the 'pay some road tax' abuse I get now and again. I simply reply with 'I'm not required to by law so instead of shouting at me to do something that is impossible, write to the goverment and tell them that I should pay if you feel that strongly about it'.

Usually shuts them up.