Carrying identification.

merlin321
merlin321 Posts: 48
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
Hi all,
I have done searches on the various forums but can`t seem to find anything on carrying personal identification when out on any sort of ride.
I`m sure there are posts but I looked in the wrong place or put in the wrong search query.
What I was trying to find out was does anyone carry laminated cards, bracelets or chains that you can keep personal details on in case the worst happens when I`m out on the road.
I hate to wish the worst on myself but you never know and at least being prepared is better than being left there.
If anyone has any information or knowledge in this area I`d be really grateful.

Thanks in anticipation.
Somethings gotta go wrong, `cause I`m felling way too damn good - Nickelback.

Comments

• Whyamihere, brilliant. Thanks for the response and the links. RoadId seems the way to go then.
    Mrs merlin also much happier now.

Thanks again.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    By the way, I personally go for dog tags from http://www.dog-tags.co.uk. This is purely because the RoadID has a fabric wrist strap, which I know from having a fabric watch strap as a kid will stick after a few rides. The dog tags are under a fiver for a pair of personalised tags, with free postage.
  • Having a mobile phone with 'HOME' or 'WIFE' is a good method as well. The police can always trace the phone number and get an address from the telecomm company.

Not to say that carrying identification is a bad thing. I have a business card in my bike/saddle bag
    ============================================

FCN is minimal as I don't see many bikes on the way to work
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I wear a mediaclert chain/medallion with my shirt unbuttoned and hairy chest on dispaly so that the paramedics etc can find it easily, when I do my shirt up looking round a victim's neck is not the first place they look
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Actually, a lot of people say that you should have a contact number in your mobile filed under the name "ICE" (In Case of Emergency).
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Another alternative here...

http://www.iceideas.co.uk/
  • I've used one of these for a few years now:

http://www.medical-bracelets.co.uk/SOSW ... dUse.shtml
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have the wifes number in my mobile, under 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency), too. I also have a business card stashed in seat bag, and never, ever leave the house without a credit/debit card, 'cos you never know! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Thank you so much for making this post and all the replies - it really made me think.

Yes, I had an ICE number in my mobile but I am also in the position of being a full-time carer for my wife. I do carry a card with my wife's requirements in my wallet, but as some of you know, there are times where you cycle without such information on you. I have now been able to order a RoadID bracelet with not only MY information but the fact that she has emergency needs too if I am in an accident.

Thumbs up to RoadID!
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Which Road ID have you peeps gone for? Original or interactive?

Does the Contact No. 800-345-6335 work worldwide?

Presumably I could go for the Original and then put my web address on the original Road Id and update as I wish.
    Rich
  • I always have my mobile phone which has a 'home' entry and I always carry my bc membership/race license. You never know when you might feel the need to join in random road races ;-)
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    If the worst happens and they can`t identify you then maybe you`ll get to appear on the news.You`ll be famous at last.It will be too late for you ,of course,but your freinds and family would get some reflected glory.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • I went for the original RoadID bracelet because the interactive phone number is indeed a US one.

One thing to be aware of - the web-based details of the interactive bracelet are behind serial number/pin security so are moderately protected from casual observation. This is useful in that some of the details there could be used for identity theft. If you create your own web page with your personal and medical details, you would have to write a password on the back of the bracelet tag in indelible pen yourself.

The info I included on my own bracelet was name, date of birth, city, home phone number, blood group, organ donor status, the fact that I have no allergies or medical history and that I have a disabled dependant partner. I also carry a more detailed card about my partner's needs.
  • I have just ordered some of these ....

http://www.cramalert.co.uk/
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    I have a Road ID necklace, use it on the bike and when running.
  • Thanks to everyone for your advice.
    I`ve just ordered a sports id wristband from IceIdeas. I saw a guy commuting this morning who had one on his ankle.
    I`ve also taken the suggestion about putting an ICE number on my mobile. I asked a few people at work about it and was surprised how many others had heard of the idea. Until I read about it on the forum it was totally new to me.

Daniel in Edinburgh, Im glad it proved a good idea for you and the wife.

Thanks again to all. :D
  • i normally have my wallet in a pannier or bag and have id in there
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I always have my mobile and CTC card with me so should the worst happen my family can be contacted. That Cram Alert does look like a good idea.
  • I have just ordered some of these ....

http://www.cramalert.co.uk/
    The cramalert thing was featured on BBC Radio Five Live a few months back. I hadn't realised that Steve's brother had died while out jogging and because he had no id it took 48 hours to notify the family. Tragic and very moving.

I thought about getting one as I'd only just got back on the bike but was just doing Sunday trips down the canal towpaths (mind you, I was getting a fair way out of London or into the centre. Now that I've taken to commuting I think this thread is a timely reminder to get one. I'll also do the ICE thing on my phone now before I go to bed.

I have been carrying a tatty business card though...

Thanks for the timely reminder folks 8)
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I have tbh I never thought about this until tuesday. :oops: :lol: I do usually carry the work ID and me wallet though, but never carried any numbers. I also have an "allergy" to mobiles - cant stand the things tbh, but may get one soon for this very reason.
  • Not wanting to sound too nasty but to every one that says that i have my phone on me. If you have been hit by a car you could well brake your phone.
    the 2 times i have been taken off by people pulling out on me my phone has been a casualty so haveing a hard copy of contact numbers is a good one.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I carry one of those little Assos wallet things with a card with my details on, debit card, and some cash......should do the job.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Not wanting to sound too nasty but to every one that says that i have my phone on me. If you have been hit by a car you could well brake your phone.
    the 2 times i have been taken off by people pulling out on me my phone has been a casualty so haveing a hard copy of contact numbers is a good one.

i carry it in a pannier so it is quite well protected
  • Wouldn't you think that by the 21st century we would all have a chip inserted somewhere under our skin (just like pet cats and dogs) to carry all this important information?
    Martin
  • My phone is password protected so would an ICE number be useful? I figure that the probability of my phone being stolen and used is much, much higher than it being used to contact someone in an emergency so I choose to carry a low-tech, easily accessible hard copy of any contact details. But Cramalert definitely looks like a good solution.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    melliff wrote:
    Wouldn't you think that by the 21st century we would all have a chip inserted somewhere under our skin (just like pet cats and dogs) to carry all this important information?
    FFS!! Don't give the politicians any more ideas! :wink:
  • I have a Medic Alert bracelet which has been attached to my wrist for 5 years.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business