Backpacks

biondino
biondino Posts: 5,990
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
I know not everyone here favours them, but since I'm not drilling holes in my lovely carbon I am going to be sticking with rucksacks for the foreseeable future and I'm after recommendations.

I'd like a 20 to 30 litre waterproof rucksack of decent quality and the one that appealed most in my local outdoor sports shop was the Osprey Talon 22. Only thing is I can't tell if it's waterproof - the downloadable manual recommends a waterproofing treatment you can use with it - does that mean it is waterproof and this stuff will keep it so, or that it isn't and this stuff will make it so?

Anyway, please discuss this bag and any others you'd recommend (or otherwise).

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'll tack on, if anyone has recomendations for one that doesn't make the back sweaty... that would be awesome... I tend to use it on the folder as the messenger bag is too much
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    I don't ever think any backpack is truly waterproof due to seams and zips etc. I always rely on either an elasticated cover or a simple carrier bag inside.

This was learnt the hardway with lots of mountain walking.
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Agree with Lit - save money by buying something with good back clearance, save the planet with a placcy bag inside and an extra cover if it is tipping it down.
    R25

Ridgeback R25 - 1% bike
  • I reckon if it recommends a waterproofing substance then it ain't waterproof.

I used a Dakine pack before I switched to panniers, it was waterproof then and still is now, as I had to use it for a while after Gollum was nicked. It also had a water bladder in it which was handy.

But Litts is quite right in that the zips are never perfect - however you can wax them which helps enormously.

There are backpacks where a thin mesh and seemingly sprung construction lifts the pack itself away from your back - have seen them in the past but no idea who makes them.

EDIT:

Found it - made by Deuter - Aircomfort...

See here http://www.deuterusa.com/img/systems/advancedAircomfort.gif
  • biondino
    Clever Pun, the Osprey I mentioned has a great mesh system on the back so the fabric of the backpack is actually kept about half a centimetre away from the mesh, leaving air free to circulate - and I tried it on and it was very comfortable too. From the bumf:

"Impressive refinement and number of features set the Talon apart from other packs. AirScape backpanel with mesh covered ridge molded foam and air channels allow most of the surface area of your back to breathe and is highly comfortable. 4mm High-Density foam backpanel provides structural support for the pack. Adjustable torso system gives you a custom fit. In just a few seconds you can adjust the length of the pack harness for the best possible fit."
  • biondino
    LiT, I've also been intrigued by the Deuter Bike 1, which is £15 cheaper than the Osprey and available at Wiggle:

deuter-bike-1-zoom.jpg
  • biondino
    Oops, sorry guys, that's enormous. If you scroll down you can see the "airstripes".
  • You could get a normal back pack, wear one of these

http://www.backstretcher.com/english/it ... 6.135#rola

between your back and the bag (which will come in useful to cure the back ache afterwards) and put one of these

http://www.mikes-diving.co.uk/dry-bag-- ... -390-p.asp

Inside.

Hope that was helpful..

(I'm home sick and bored, so be nice)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i just use a standard backpack with a black bin liner inside, just make sure you dont leave the clothes in the bin liner when at work in case the cleaner decides to chuck it away
  • Hello from a Newbie / Lurker.

I've tried several backpaks and my favourite at the moment is http://www.alpkit.com/gourdon/

it's light comes in several sizes and colours and cheap reasonable pricewise.

Scoobers
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Deuter Bike 1 gets the thumbs up from me. Back/shoulders are much less sweaty since the switch from an old rucksack with no cushioning...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    Another vote for Deuter.

I've got the Race Exp Air 10-12L and the Trans Alpine 30L.

Both really good. Not water proof, but have waterproof cover attached in pocket at the bottom which works well.
  • my review of of a deuter cross air here.

http://www.ba-joseph.co.uk/mtb/reviews/ ... euter.html

I don't think they do the cross air now. it's the back support i like.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I'd agree about the carrier bag inside and a waterproof cover -I've seen some really bright ones and they look good (called humps or something?). Berghaus also do those mesh things which then keep the pack away from the back but I've got one for walking and I must say it does puch your centre of gravity back a bit - might be a bit weird on a bike (it's a bit weird walking too but I've bought it now!)
    So I have a bog standard backpack, I get a sweaty back and I wash when I get there. Job done :)
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Littigator wrote:
    I don't ever think any backpack is truly waterproof due to seams and zips etc. I always rely on either an elasticated cover or a simple carrier bag inside.

This was learnt the hardway with lots of mountain walking.

I agree with that. Has been bourne out with lots of walking here too. I use dry bags for clothes and things that need to stay dry.

I'm going to be getting a 17L Soloman (I think it is) bag. Super lightweight, no fiddly straps, 30 quid. :)
  • dang65
    dang65 Posts: 1,006
    I got a bag from Decathlon a few years ago which I'm still using now. Quechua Forclaz 30 Air.

It has "air cooling" pads to allow airflow between the bag and your back. They don't stop sweat completely, but not bad. It's certainly showerproof too, but the carrier bag trick would be necessary for proper heavy rain. It does have a special cover which pulls out from a pocket at the bottom and covers the whole bag. Would be a good idea to use that in muddy conditions, but I keep forgetting about it till it's too late.

I also like the waist strap which has a couple of zip up pockets for keys, security pass, phone... stuff you want to hand without taking the bag off.

I'm sure there's hundreds of similar bags around, but just recommending one I'm happy with.
  • I bought an Ortlieb bag from Wiggle about 4 years ago. A bit like this:
    http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/product_info.p ... =backpacks
    It is expensive, but I can guarantee absolutely waterproof. Ridges on the back allow air to circulate over your back so not too sweaty. It's been well worth the money-still in one piece despite daily use in all weather. Can't recommend highly enough.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    There must be a rucksack with a breathable back that can hold my work shirt, trousers, jumper, towel, D-lock, cable lock, shower-gel, baby lotion, hair brush, deoderant.

Side pockets for my wallet, phone, keys etc

For £40 - £60.

I have a nike rucksack that does.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Try this from Alpkit - I've got one and the're brilliant 8)

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?tar ... ory_id=251
  • Another vote here for a Deuter backpack. They are a little fiddly sometimes with all their pockets, but the back design is excellent for keeping you reasonably unsweaty, and the built in luminous cover is pretty waterproof too - also good for visibility and keeping the backpack clean if getting thrown around a little.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    I have to disagree with those that say you can't get a waterproof backpack and agree with Kildare re: the ortlieb backpacks.

I have this one:

http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/product_info.p ... =backpacks

Calls itself compact. I wouldn't describe it as that. I takes my full back length and where the roll top is a straight edge which means that it comes just above your shoulders so can be a bit of sail. That's the bad point.

The good point is that is absolutely waterproof even in prolonged torrential rain as experienced recently. It is large enough to carry the following, which I have done in the past, shirt, trousers, shoes, boxers, socks, deodrant, shower gel, tooth brush, toothpaste, mobile, pump, spare tube, mini tool, gym shorts, padlock, cycle lock and towel (don't think I have left anything out). Have now cut that all down substantially and therefore looking for something as waterproof but a bit smaller. Also in its favour is that it leaves my back considerably less sweaty than my previous backpack which was just a regular reebok one.

Would definitely recommend it as a great waterproof with plenty room enough for most people commuting needs.
  • Clever Pun
    biondino wrote:
    Clever Pun, the Osprey I mentioned has a great mesh system on the back so the fabric of the backpack is actually kept about half a centimetre away from the mesh, leaving air free to circulate - and I tried it on and it was very comfortable too. From the bumf:

"Impressive refinement and number of features set the Talon apart from other packs. AirScape backpanel with mesh covered ridge molded foam and air channels allow most of the surface area of your back to breathe and is highly comfortable. 4mm High-Density foam backpanel provides structural support for the pack. Adjustable torso system gives you a custom fit. In just a few seconds you can adjust the length of the pack harness for the best possible fit."

but it's in pastel colours... so it's a right off... a man has to have standards

unless I missed the black option?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • biondino
    I have a fetish for orange :)
  • Just get one of these beauties - or better still design your own. Pricey but worth it and totally waterproof.

http://reloadbags.com/bags/list.php?t=custom_stock

I think this iteration is rather tasty:

CUSTOM_STOCK_threecog_smciv.jpg
  • Littigator
    JB with your penchant for little caps, and lycra that matches your bike, what with bags like that on display I am seriously beginning to worry about you mate :wink:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Just get one of these beauties - or better still design your own. Pricey but worth it and totally waterproof.
    I think this iteration is rather tasty:

You can't help it, you are a .....

berry-tart-sl-258316-l.jpg
  • Yep I'm a massive tart :lol:

'Tis better than a rucksack though, far more spacious for one.
  • Holy Moley those bags are PRICEY! :shock:
  • Clever Pun
    Holy Moley those bags are PRICEY! :shock:

almost as much as your bike? :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Littigator
    Holy Moley those bags are PRICEY! :shock: