Caught short in the rain

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
Ok so I go outside for lunch, look at my bike and check the clouds. It starts raining, now rain doesn't bother me but it looks like its going to be absolutely 'bricking' it down with the really fine rain that soaks you right through!

Again, this coupled with cycling doesn't hugely bother me, I quite enjoy riding in the rain. The only thing is that I stepped out the house in my glasses a pair of shorts and my CCUK t-shirt/jersey and that's it. :shock:

If it rains not only will I be cold and wet but I'll also won't be able to see.

My question is have you been caught completely unprepared for a downpour, what did you do and what measure do you take so it your not caught short again.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • We had the biggest damn thunderstorm hit 5 minutes after I left work for the 14 mile commute home.

Within 30 seconds I was utterly, utterly soaked to the skin, couldn't see anything and the cycle path was flooded.

I bailed and caught the train!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I cycled in jeans this lunchtime and everyone knows that the single worst thing in the history of humanity is having to work in an office in wet jeans.
  • when you say "caught short" in the rain, what does that mean exactly? Is it something to do with the sound of running water?
  • My question is have you been caught completely unprepared for a downpour, what did you do

rode faster

and what measure do you take so it your not caught short again
    more training so I could ride even faster ;)
  • My question is have you been caught completely unprepared for a downpour, what did you do and what measure do you take so it your not caught short again.

Yep, many a time now. My attitude is to wear as little as possible, and get used to the fact that it's only water and I'll dry.

I tried waterproofs for a while, but they're a pain as well as often being sweaty and icky.

My strategy is water-resistant (not water-proof) quick-dry fabrics, until it gets cold enough for my night vision jacket which is water-proof.

The only thing I always carry or have at work as well as at home is a baseball cap for keeping heavy rain out of my eyes.

I don't mind being caught without it - wet hair hides sweaty-head-hair pretty darn well!
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    sweaty-head-hair

L-i-T - sweaty head hair, it's a nightmare, isn't it? I have discovered that it's not possible to have a hair style and cycle to work. I just don't know what to do.
  • I'm totally unprepared today if the heavens open tonight on the way home. Fortunately the pubs are quite evenly spaced out, about a mile apart, so if it does start hammering down I'll dive into the nearest one and wait it out for a bit with a refreshing ale.

Hopefully I won't get stuck long as my lights are on the other bike, and there are no street lights in the sticks.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'll carry a gilet/paclite coat and a small cap allowing me to see and at least fend the water off for a bit...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Coriander wrote:
    sweaty-head-hair

L-i-T - sweaty head hair, it's a nightmare, isn't it? I have discovered that it's not possible to have a hair style and cycle to work. I just don't know what to do.

Does a crew cut count as a hair style and is it one that is currently fashionable for girls.....? If so, problem solved :)
  • Gussio wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    sweaty-head-hair

Does a crew cut count as a hair style and is it one that is currently fashionable for girls.....? If so, problem solved :)

Hmmmm, I'm not in favour of crew-cuts on girls...

And the only solution I've discovered is either tie it back or shower at work and have wet hair for a couple of hours!
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Leave spare pairs of contact lenses everywhere! work, car, bike bag, girlfriends wherever

Just get wet, it's only wet water, you'll dry off, and the shower at the other end will be soooo much better

Or you could just look like this at every set of traffic lights:

Wet_cat.jpg

ps...don't type in wet pussy in google images at work...really not a good idea! :shock:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Been caught out several times and I find out the following.

Pushing to ride through the rain makes it more exciting/energetic.
    You dry of eventually, even if trainers are on a radiator for a couple of days.
    Waterproofs are two way proof, and sweat is a worse wet then rain.
    Squelching through an office to the changing rooms is funny!
    Well my tuppence there anyway hehe
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    snooks wrote:
    Leave spare pairs of contact lenses everywhere! work, car, bike bag, girlfriends wherever

Just get wet, it's only wet water, you'll dry off, and the shower at the other end will be soooo much better

Or you could just look like this at every set of traffic lights:

Wet_cat.jpg

ps...don't type in wet pussy in google images at work...really not a good idea! :shock:

You're not wrong, I even got into trouble typing "gay fighting" into google images earlier
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I was caught in a downpour a couple of weeks ago, and within ½ a mile of setting off for home was as wet as I was going to be, and there's no option on my route to catch a train so 20 more miles of wet stuff it was. I reckon though that cycling in that amount of rain is just so much fun - almost as good as a run in dry weather in some ways.

I did meet a flood in one of the villages later on though - it looked about 3" - 4" deep when I went in but it eventually came up to my knees - thought it was never to going to stop getting deeper at one point. Like I said tho, you can only get so wet. More water doesn't equal more wet.

Wear minimal clothes and it doesn't matter. You either get wet from sweating, or from rain. No real difference in the end.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    snooks wrote:
    ps...don't type in wet pussy in google images at work...really not a good idea!
    AND
    [quote="Littigator[/quote]You're not wrong, I even got into trouble typing "gay fighting" into google images earlier [/quote]

I was wondering when the tone was going to be lowered.
    hisoka wrote:
    Been caught out several times and I find out the following.

Pushing to ride through the rain makes it more exciting/energetic.
    You dry of eventually, even if trainers are on a radiator for a couple of days.
    Waterproofs are two way proof, and sweat is a worse wet then rain.

All very true.

I generally hate waterproofs I like my skin to be able to breath, but I guess wearing them is a great way of losing weight.

Another thing I hate about ran is what its done to the smell of my shoes - I've had them since August and I wouldn't dare put my foot in them without a pair of socks on, I now can't decide whats worse my rain stinky spd-sl shoes or my 2 year old sweaty cycle gloves (that have been washed several times though it has made little difference).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • snooks wrote:

:shock:

You leave spare contact lenses where exactly?! :shock: Does she mind?

I've got to say though - waterproofs are a waste of time. If you get cold when you're wet then you are cycling to slowly and must MTFU! I just get wet; lycra is quick drying and there's a warm shower at the end. If the weather is genuinely cold then a lightweight windproof is a good idea (Montane Velo) along with windproof full fingered gloves. The only thing I do bother with are waterproof overshoes as cycling shoes will take an age to dry out and I hate wearing wet shoes.
  • snooks
    snooks wrote:

:shock:

You leave spare contact lenses where exactly?! :shock: Does she mind?

Nope I can leave spare contact lenses at my girlfirneds and she don't mind a bit...She's nice like that :P
    The only thing I do bother with are waterproof overshoes as cycling shoes will take an age to dry out and I hate wearing wet shoes.

I've got me some lovely woolly seal skinz so my shoes can get as wet as they want, but my feet are still nice and dry :)
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • snooks wrote:

I've got me some lovely woolly seal skinz so my shoes can get as wet as they want, but my feet are still nice and dry :)

Aha! They work then do they?

I might well have to get some when I switch from sandals back to shoes...
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Your skin is waterproof - get naked baby! Ouch on SPD's....
  • snooks
    snooks wrote:

Aha! They work then do they?

I might well have to get some when I switch from sandals back to shoes...

Well I think they work, like cycling in warm slippers.....the only time I had a bit of trouble was when it was torrential rain, think monsoon, and I was waiting at lights and I could see a puddle of water at the top of the sock which I could then feel run down to my foot. I usually save them for cold weather and have some scotchlite ankle bands which stops a repeat incident

Oh...and careful when you take them out of the washing machine, cos they are waterproof then can fill with water!!! :)
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Sealskinz are okay, but not hi-tech.

Having worn right through a pair of gloves, I can tell you that they appear to be basically 2 pairs of gloves with a scrunched up plastic bag between them. For sure, the way they do the scrunching must be fairly clever, but their performance isn't dissimilar to what you might expect from wearing a plastic bag over your socks.

I believe that they are "breathable" which, for the uninitated, means that in lab tests the tiny perforations in them allow vapour to pass through but are small enough to prevent liquid from passing through. Just like goretex and all the other waterproof things that are breathable, they only work in the right conditions - which don't occur when cycling.

Its a smell inducing combination.

Good for very cold weather, okay for wet weather, but then so are overshoes. Gloves are tougher than most cycling gloves, but buy some bicarb to soak them in occasionally. :?
  • I'm with the "get wet and sod it crew". As other people have said and waterproofs I've had (cr4p one's) usually result in me getting rather sweaty.
    I do have a little gillet that is meant to be water and wind proof. I have realized it's more useful for taking the chill off by stopping the wind as after a soaking I'm already wet underneath!

I normally only take that with me if I suspect it's gonna rain that day (hope the BBC forecast's are good!)

There have been a few times where I have been caught in a downpour without a jacket tho and in all honesty they have been some of the best commutes! Nothing seems to confuse pedestrians more then a cyclist in shorts and sleeveless t-shirt, riding in pouring rain with a :D look on his face!

If I get wet on the way to work it's normally a bit more of a pain. I can usually dry my clothes OK, but then I have access to rooms full of hot computers to help dry things! My shoes normally get stuffed with tissue to help absorb the water and are wearable by the end of the day.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5