Last week sucked! Using public transport!

mailmannz
mailmannz Posts: 173
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
Riding to work on Friday...when suddenly the rear wheel stops spinning and Im stuck in the middle of a intersection trying to push my bike off the road!

Get to the otherside to find my chain had become wedged in the gears, had snapped the rear mech and trashed the thingy that changes the gear ratio by the peddle cog do hickey!

So bike in to shop to be repaired, 4 days to get parts and put it together but while that was happening I was reminded how much I detest public transport!

Bus on Monday took an hour to get from Canary Wharf to Rotherheath tunnel...in the end I got off the bus to walk only to find the traffic suddenly clearing and the bus roaring passed me! :D

Tuesday, bus charging along at 5 miles an hour until Aldgate Gyratory (which is now a car park in the morning) but it still took over an hour to get here from Canary.

Wednesday, used DLR...along with 3/4 of the population of Tower Hamlets!

Thursday, gave up and ran to work (nearly god damn killed me!).

Friday, bike ready...no more public transport stress!

Public transport should come with a public health warning!

Mailman

ps. bike has saved me over £1000 in the last year so I guess one week of madness isnt toooo bad!

Comments

• Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    mailmannz wrote:
    Get to the otherside to find my chain had become wedged in the gears, had snapped the rear mech and trashed the thingy that changes the gear ratio by the peddle cog do hickey!

I love your command of the technical side of cycling :lol:

Couldn't agree more though, the thought of public transport fills me full of dread. I just cannot get over how many people look at you with blank faced amazement that you cycle every day not comprehending just how much better it is than ANY form of public transport.

Ker-rist, I was even like that myself 2 years ago. I could not concieve of getting on a bike each morning and pedalling 6 miles. Now, I go out of my way to extend my ride if i have the time :D
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • sounds to me like you have now learned that 1 bike is not enough time to get shopping :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

a nice single speed could be fun :wink:
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    mailmannz wrote:
    So bike in to shop to be repaired, 4 days to get parts and put it together but while that was happening I was reminded how much I detest public transport!

Moral here is to do your own repairs :wink:
  • Surely the moral is to have more than one bike - if the last week isn't good enough reasons for your other half to accept the new bike I don't know what is...
    '07 Focus Izalco Expert - Hairy Baggy Shorts Roadie (FCN 5)
    '02 Marin Bear Valley - MTB on Nobblies (FCN 9)
    '04 Dawes Giro 200 - Fast Hybrid (FCN 7)
  • Tell me about it. I took public transport a few times in the last couple of weeks out of necessity and caught a cold from the revolting hoards I encountered thereon. Now I'm having to do so again because I still have the lung capacity of an aphid and can't cycle.
  • Littigator
    Yeah I've found I get less colds since I started cycling rather than catching public transport. (touch wood)

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Fewer colds.
  • Pedancy rankings:

Biondino - +1

I also am generally fitter, healthier and happier when cycling to work than when not. It really affects my mood... :D
  • Littigator
    biondino wrote:
    Fewer colds.

Dammit!

• Littigator wrote:
    Yeah I've found I get less colds since I started cycling rather than catching public transport. (touch wood)

You've really dropped the pedant ball today.

To the OP - I'd advise getting genned up on bike maintenance, should ensure that kind of failure just doesn't happen. Oh and yeah, public transport? I'd rather hop into work, naked.
  • Yes...I think you guys have a point (about the maintenance and 2nd bike).

I could do the maintenance and might pop down to Brick Lane on the weekend to pick up am el cheapo bike ;)

Regards

Mailman
  • mailmannz wrote:
    Yes...I think you guys have a point (about the maintenance and 2nd bike).

I could do the maintenance and might pop down to Brick Lane on the weekend to pick up am el cheapo bike ;)

Regards

Mailman

Hope its not someone elses bike :roll:

sw
  • mailmannz wrote:
    Yes...I think you guys have a point (about the maintenance and 2nd bike).

Regards

Mailman

Hope its not someone elses bike :roll:

sw

+1 do your fellow cyclists a favour and question any potential sellers eh. You might want to check here before buying as well : http://stolenbikelondon.blogspot.com/
  • The local bus service round here (North Yorkshire) might not be as bad as London but it still sucks! I actually get into work exactly the same time every morning as would had I taken the bus but feeling far more alive! As for the return journey I get home at least five minutes earlier!
  • I was kidding about the second bike (got no where to put it) :)

Regards

Mailman