Tights... do I need suspenders?

heavymtb
heavymtb Posts: 62
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
As it was a bit chilly today and the prospect of pedalling in shorts every morning is getting less and less appealing.

I was looking at getting some nice warm (but not nessacarily waterproof) trousers. Tights seem like a good option but was unsure on which ones to go for? Or as the thread title suggested do I get the bib-style, whats the advantage?

My commute is only 5 miles each way so I'm not going for too long something that just will breath but also block out the wind-chill factor! Also padded as I miss it when I don't have it..... :shock: Plus no more than £40....

I saw these and thought they looked pretty good (I love Specialized!) - unsure if they have padding though....
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... s-ec011826

Your thoughts as always would be welcomed with open arms!
The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart ~Iris Murdoch

Mama always said I was SPECIALIZED ;-)

Comments

• As I mentioned in the Game thread. It was v. cold this morning so I went with shorts and football socks pulled up over kness. Perfect. Kinda looked like I was wearing shorts and red tights.

I have no advice on your purchase.

LFC#1

UPL
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • sounds from the description in that link that they have padding?
    do I get the bib-style, whats the advantage?

personally I'd only ever go bib any more - shorts or longs. More comfortable, don't start to ride down, keep lower back warm etc.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    heavymtb wrote:
    As it was a bit chilly today and the prospect of pedalling in shorts every morning is getting less and less appealing.

I was looking at getting some nice warm (but not nessacarily waterproof) trousers. Tights seem like a good option but was unsure on which ones to go for? Or as the thread title suggested do I get the bib-style, whats the advantage?

My commute is only 5 miles each way so I'm not going for too long something that just will breath but also block out the wind-chill factor! Also padded as I miss it when I don't have it..... :shock: Plus no more than £40....

I saw these and thought they looked pretty good (I love Specialized!) - unsure if they have padding though....
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... s-ec011826

Your thoughts as always would be welcomed with open arms!

Am on the look out for a pair myself. Bibs have the advantage of covering up your lower back and sides.

Looks like they've got padding. And go for the fleece lining option - you'll definitely appreciate it.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sounds from the description in that link that they have padding?

I think you might be right! on re-reading the page they definately sound like it!

Teacher always told me to read more carefully....... Explains A LOT!!!
    The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart ~Iris Murdoch

• Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    I always go for bibs...comfy comfy comfy mmmmmmmmmm

As for fleece lining though, the only downside is that when they do get wet (not if cos they're never propoerly waterproof no matter what it claims), they'll take much longer to dry out.

In winter I've alwasy used a pair of normal bib shorts and a pair of non padded long tights over the top, the double alyer around the mid section increases insulation. If you need anymore get some thermal underwear. It's all about layering.
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    @Littigator how does that arrangement cope if you get wet on a cold winter's day? Do your legs freeze or are they OK ? I'm trying to avoid waterproof trousers this winter.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Unfortunately you'll have to bite the bullet and go and try these things on, it's the only way you'll know whether they'll fit you.

It's not easy going into a shop and asking to try on tights....just, for the love of god, make sure it's a bike shop you go into!!! :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    www.probikekit.com is good for cheap bib tights.

I would not recommend suspenders...they chafe and everyone will think your a hooker.
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    www.probikekit.com is good for cheap bib tights.

I would not recommend suspenders...they chafe and everyone will think your a hooker.

Firstly, all the tights and bibs are small or extra small (I certainly do not fall into this criteria!) Secondly, I prefer man-wh*re if you don't mind! Tisk...... :lol:

• Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    girv73 wrote:
    @Littigator how does that arrangement cope if you get wet on a cold winter's day? Do your legs freeze or are they OK ? I'm trying to avoid waterproof trousers this winter.

Yeah not too bad all in. The main thing is keeping the wind out rather than the wet I reckon and wear light enough layers that it dries as much as possible during the day before you have to put it on again that evening to ride home.

The trouble with full on waterproofs is the bulk of carrying them, they're cumbersome to ride with and act like a sail in the wind, bu that's purely my preference.
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Leg warmers are a good alternative to tights. I do tend to stick to black cycling specific ones - I haven't got the courage to wear multi-coloured sparkly 'fame' style ones, though the people would remember my name!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_E ... 360021725/

http://fame.binarylab.com/