a decent pair of shorts for a lass

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
I have a pretty good pair of cycling shorts at the moment for getting to and from work, they do the job nicely. However because they are designed for the male of the species the padding isn't necessarly in the right place if yer catch me drift

so basically I am looking for a decent pair of shorts (preferably of the baggy kind) which will do the job for commuting and leisure riding and wondering if any of yous had an idea of what's good on the market.

Looking to spend at most £50, but I might consider more if the product it right.

Oh and by the way, please account for the fact that I have legs which I am breaking in for a pit pony, so lycra is not a good look :lol:
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    What about the kind which have lycra on the inside and baggies on the outside? My mate has a pair he swears by but I'm afraid I don't know which manufacturer.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    biondino wrote:
    What about the kind which have lycra on the inside and baggies on the outside? My mate has a pair he swears by but I'm afraid I don't know which manufacturer.

the ones I have at the moment are like that and quite nice. as long as they are flappy on the outside and hide the dodgy legs I don't mind :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Look at Altura, I know they're not the uber-uber of clothing, but I have a couple of pairs of their baggy shorts with the padded liners designed for a laydeee and they're brilliant.

These, for example...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Womens/11/Altura_Ascent__Ladies_Baggy_Shorts_07/5360029292/

EDIT - put in right link
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I have a pair made by Endura, with lycra undershorts you can popper in. They were £40 and I have lived in them (with occasional washing :) ) They are really comfy, quite flattering and allow me to retain some credibilty whilst pushing my bike through the school playground when I get to work. I too shun the "just lycra" look. Unless you have no body fat whatsoever, it's not a good one...
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • i'd buy a decent padded short in lycra then just wear anything over the top.

My gf uses the 8-panel endura coolmax ones and seems to like them, as for over the top, well I usually wear board shorts for the lairy colours.
  • My wife got 3 pairs of undershorts with padding from the LBS, £14.99 each. Then she wears them under whatever other legging stuff or 3/4 lengths she wants to: so they are much more flexible and, I think, works out cheaper in the end? Also looks better in the pub :wink: She has got a black set, grey and white - so she knows which are to be washed and which to use :roll:

Not on the LBS's website, so I'll see if I can find a link elsewhere (apparently made by Lusso; she likes the 3/4 lengths from Crinne Dennis).

Stuart

Edit: found a link after about 10 seconds! http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/Product/0/601941/lussoladiescoolmaxundershorts.html. Sounds the same idea as RW's girlfriend.
  • I would also recommend Corinne Dennis. Actually designed by a women who cycles, thats a good start. she does shorts and 3/4s. I just got some cotton baggy 3/4s which i wear over shorts and they are great. happy shopping.