How to become a qualified bike mechanic...

UnworthyPapaLazaru
UnworthyPapaLazaru Posts: 422
edited September 2008 in The workshop
Does anyone know how its done? Is there a college course or training school? Do you have to get a job in a shop and serve an apprecticehip??
Cannondale F500
Peugeot Fixed Gear
Specialized Hardrock
Baordman Team Carbon
Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0

Comments

• There is an extensive training course required in how to sneer and look down your nose at all your customers as well, how to open the shop at completely random times and how to be always completely out of stock of everything.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there are some links to course in the tech links sticky in the Tech part of the MTB forum.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks Nick.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • I bought a park tools book for £15 from my LBS yesterday, when I went in for tyre levers. As LBS man said, it's very good!

Tells you how to do pretty much everything... I now have enough knowledge to be dangerous!
  • I bought a park tools book for £15 from my LBS yesterday, when I went in for tyre levers. As LBS man said, it's very good!

Tells you how to do pretty much everything... I now have enough knowledge to be dangerous!

It's all on the internet for free - though it can be annoying when you spill lube all over your laptop
    <a>road</a>
  • I know, I just liked the book because that way I don't have to drag my laptop around to wherever my bike is!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    It's all on the internet for free - though it can be annoying when you spill lube all over your laptop

I think you've just summed up the internet, there.
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    biondino wrote:

I think you've just summed up the internet, there.

:lol:
  • The information you want is almost certainly on the internet, along with lots that you don't (irrelevant? inaccurate? incomprehensible?).What you get with the book is an editor and handy presentation!

Cheers,
    W.
  • biondino
    It's a lot easier to refer to a book while you're actually doing the maintenance than to lug a laptop around and surf while fixing stuff.
  • biondino wrote:
    It's a lot easier to refer to a book while you're actually doing the maintenance than to lug a laptop around and surf while fixing stuff.

And that's why I bought it!

I can also clean oil from a book more easily than from my laptop... :shock:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    You could always just take it apart and try and put it back together again.....so, what do I do with these left over bolts?!
  • biondino
    Yeah, and all these small metal balls? Maybe I can play marbles or something.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    At this point its worth pointing out that the difference between doing it yourself and paying someone else to do it is that paying someone else works out cheaper. And its usually right first time!

That said I do really enjoy fixing/fettling my own bikes. But I learn EVERYTHING the hard way!