winter riding gear - help

spondonchris
spondonchris Posts: 74
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
having just bought my first road bike 2 weeks ago, I have managed to cobble together some riding gear for the current temperatures i.e some altura bib shorts and a mountain biking jersey I already had (not ideal as no pockets). I can already feel it getting colder and was wondering what everyone wears through the winter months ahead as I need to kit myself out to keep going through till next summer as I dont think my shorts and jersey are going to do the job.

Any advice would be appreciated :?:

Comments

• I personally have some Bib Trousers bought from wiggle along with a L/S Jersey but it really depends on what you like I know some people who like wearing Short Sleeved Jerseys in the Winter to keep cooler, there's also some decent Jackets online that are pretty good.

Trousers - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_M ... 360031772/
    Want a Site? Visit
    www.cpbwebdesign.co.uk
  • You might want to think about your ears/eyes too - when it is around freezing I am grateful for my stretchy headband over the ears and my cycling glasses. If it gets colder than freezing I switch to a full skullcap with rear neck cover by Castelli.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Get along to aldi first thing in the morning they might still have some gear left.
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/of ... z_src=main

cheap and pretty good quality - can definitely recommend the winter cycling trousers.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • the dhb stuff looks good and with 10/10 from the mags must be ok, but then the Aldi stuff is ridiculously cheap, can it be good for that price ???? sounds like winter bib trousers are the kit for the bottom half, just need to sort the top half and decide which make is going to last.

Didn't even think about glasses and hats / headcovering although it makes sense.

Thermal base layer or not?
  • feel
    the dhb stuff looks good and with 10/10 from the mags must be ok, but then the Aldi stuff is ridiculously cheap, can it be good for that price ???? sounds like winter bib trousers are the kit for the bottom half, just need to sort the top half and decide which make is going to last.

Didn't even think about glasses and hats / headcovering although it makes sense.

If you go for the aldi winter trousers you will not need a base layer for your legs they are much warmer than DHB's. Personally i used the trousers rather than the bibs all last winter, even on the frostiest mornings, with no complaints. If you can get them and don't like them you can always take them back. I'll be surprised if you do return them though. i also got the hat and overshoes.
  • At the mo im using s/s jersery with arm warmers and a gilet.And if it feels a bit chilly a base layer as well.The Ron Hill bikesters are quite cheap and showerproof.I wear mine with my shorts under.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    the dhb stuff looks good and with 10/10 from the mags must be ok, but then the Aldi stuff is ridiculously cheap, can it be good for that price ???? sounds like winter bib trousers are the kit for the bottom half, just need to sort the top half and decide which make is going to last.

The Aldi gear is good value for the price - however, you might find issues with the "fit" (with certain items). I've got the Winter longs, the jacket, the high-vis, gloves - all good value, although I find the waist and "front bit" on the longs to be too baggy, whilst the legs are quite tight. On a budget though they're a significant improvement from riding in non-cycling bottoms.

The gloves should be a safe bet, along with the high-vis jacket - get some clear-lensed glasses for winter riding aswell.

I currently use shorts & leg warmers with a jersey and arm warmers.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I've been away from home while all the cycling clothing hit the Aldi shelves... :( Still away now.. :cry:
    So, as I do need a load of stuff to get through the winter, it looks like I'm gonna pay dearly for it.
    Not too struck on internet purchases, as there is so much variation in sizes between makers. I can never seem to find an item in a shop to try on, check it fits, then go order it on the 'net! :evil:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    hopper1 wrote:
    I've been away from home while all the cycling clothing hit the Aldi shelves... :( Still away now.. :cry:
    So, as I do need a load of stuff to get through the winter, it looks like I'm gonna pay dearly for it.
    Not too struck on internet purchases, as there is so much variation in sizes between makers. I can never seem to find an item in a shop to try on, check it fits, then go order it on the 'net! :evil:
    Well the DHB stuff is cheap and very good. You can't really get that quality for the price in the shops anyway (and DHB is exclusive to Wiggle). If unsure I usually order two sizes and send one back, it may cost me £2 for postage but I am still saving a lot compared with the high street (sorry LBS :oops: ). Wiggle are great for returns, no quibble and instant refund.

I got some Aldi stuff (jersey, thermals) but the bib tights weren't convincing, the pad area wasn't tight enough and it hung down, whilst the rest of the tight was fine, so they went back. You win some, you lose some. Was worth a try.
  • Donut
    Donut Posts: 17
    feel wrote:
    Get along to aldi first thing in the morning they might still have some gear left.
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/of ... z_src=main

cheap and pretty good quality - can definitely recommend the winter cycling trousers.

I picked up 2x long leg bibbed trousers, a long sleve top, winter weight top, over shoes, head warmer thing and gloves for just over £50 - well pleased. The only problem is that it's all black.....not ideal for winter riding.
  • just got back from aldi and all the large sizes have gone, they only have a few small and med left. never mind, maybe next time. :cry:
  • hopper1 wrote:

I also have problems here, ie the dhb bib trousers look good but i'm 6ft tall and have a 28 inch waste, if i go for medium which states 35 inch waste will they be baggy? Or are they quite strechy? :?
  • pick up some stuff in the sales, ideally get a jacket, a base layer, some long tights (even unpadded as you can wear them over your shorts) and some gloves and maybe a hat of some description (i just got a nike one that has earflaps and can easily get under a helmet.
  • also jejamescycles.co.uk has some nike gear and its like 70% off, seem to remember lots of big sizes being left.
    also try activesportskit.co.uk, and probikekit.com has some base layers for like £6
  • I'd recommend a good base layer try http://www.prendas.co.uk/list.asp?typ=t ... thumb=Show
    a nice winter hat,a good pair of gloves,a pair of overshoes,then shorts with a decent pair of bib tights over the top.A long sleeve jersey or a wind tex one.I tend to wear a jersey and carry a gore paclite in my back pocket for bad weather.
    Theres loads of places online that sell good gear but don't forget your local bike shop too as they sometimes have some decent bargains.
  • feel
    just got back from aldi and all the large sizes have gone, they only have a few small and med left. never mind, maybe next time. :cry:

Might be worth checking again in a day or so, if it is close by, as a lot of people seem to buy different sizes and then return the ones that don't fit. I suppose it's because they have no changing rooms. Last year i was getting into large but this year the mediums are bigger.
  • Also have a look in some of the Lidi's as they might still have some in too.
    One near me still has some winter bits in.
  • If you are thinking of riding regularly below 5c, I would recommend thinking about extremities: ears, nose, toes, fingers.
    Agree with suggestion above of headband, which covers your ears but doesn't get too hof under the hat. Also overshoes. I would recommend Endura waterproof overshoes. Not all neoprene overshoes are waterproof. The endura ones are the same price as non waterproof ones. Re gloves, in spite of sending satellites into space etc. humanity has yet seemed incapable of making gloves that perform the simple function of keeping your hands warm and dry, at least in mid-price range. May be worth going fo r a top brand, eg Gore, to get a result. OR use some 'liner gloves' (see Sealskinz) for when its ultra cold. I also have a windproof Gore jacket which is fantastic down to freezing and below. RE nose, I see Gore also make a face mask but this looks a bit Hannibal Lecter for my liking. Overall, if you are serious about riding regularly, it's worht investing in the right kit as it makes it manageable and there's a real delight to winter riding when you get it right.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    I got a L/S jersey, trousers, socks, gloves and lock all for under £28 from Aldi. I got a superb Altura jacket off fleabay for £21. Biker on a budget me. Bought a decent base layer this week at real prices so I'm pretty much sorted. Oh and some full mudguards for £20 from LBS.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I also have problems here, ie the dhb bib trousers look good but i'm 6ft tall and have a 28 inch waste, if i go for medium which states 35 inch waste will they be baggy? Or are they quite strechy? :?

Stefano, I am 6 foot tall but 33" waist and I have the dhb bib tights in large size. They are pretty snug fitting, even round the waist (if anything I'd like a tiny bit more room), and the legs are also a very snug fit (i have fairly slim legs with fairly defined thighs, typical cyclist legs). They're about the right length for a 33-34" inside leg.
  • I nearly bought some aldi winter gloves but the aldi gloves I've already got always need sewing up.
    Cycling, it has it's ups and downs.
  • biondino wrote:

Stefano, I am 6 foot tall but 33" waist and I have the dhb bib tights in large size. They are pretty snug fitting, even round the waist (if anything I'd like a tiny bit more room), and the legs are also a very snug fit (i have fairly slim legs with fairly defined thighs, typical cyclist legs). They're about the right length for a 33-34" inside leg.

Cool, cheers mate :)